Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,110 Members 40,659 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Guide] SQLite3: Dramatically Improve Entire Phone

Tip us?

p2kmafia
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Thumbs up [Guide] SQLite3: Dramatically Improve Entire Phone

So I've used the sqlite vacuum/re-index feature of V6 SuperCharger blindly without knowing what it does getting a placebo effect sort of thing, and I started doing some research on it and realized that this feature has started getting stripped out of a lot of stock roms and what not on android devices and that basically it makes it wayyyy easier for the system to index and sort out system/app files a lot of it was over the top for me but I figured there could be no negative effects to this at all.

So long story short I downloaded SQLite Installer from the market

Restarted and everything on my phone has been quick and painless it's been up for 6 hours now since the restart and have yet to have any lag/problems.

here's my set up:
Tweaked 2.0
0504 PBJ Kernel
OC'd to 1.2ghz (SIO i/o and Interactive governor)

don't know if it is placebo affect once again and I'd love to get some more veteran knowledge on this but I LOVE MY PHONE NOW

As I am a new member here I cannot post links but go to my thread at rootzwiki[dot]com/topic/25072-sqlite3-phone-is-snappier-than-ever/ and read the instructions there and download the easily flashable .zip file with the included detailing script.

happy flashing
p2kmafia

HTCluva
Old
Thanks Meter 17
I just flashed so ill report if results are the same for me

Sent from my SCH-I510 using XDA

p2kmafia
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
good lookin. there were positive results in my rootzwiki thread.

jco23
Old
(Last edited by jco23; 10th May 2012 at 12:59 PM.)
Thanks Meter 470
RFS or EXT4?

and is this the app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sqlite3forroot
Primary Device: Motorola Moto X (XT1060)
Xposed with Gravity Box

Previous Device: Motorola Razr M (XT907)
ROM: AOSP KitKat 4.4
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.0

Previous Device: Motorola Razr MAXX (XT912)
ROM: Stock JB 4.1.2
Recovery: Safestrap

Previous Device: Samsung Droid Charge (SCH i510)
ROM: Tweaked Lite 1.0
Kernel: Stock FP8
RFS

Cilraaz
Old
(Last edited by Cilraaz; 10th May 2012 at 02:56 PM.)
Thanks Meter 204

DONATE TO ME
It would be fairly easy to run before and after database benchmarks in an app such as AnTuTu Benchmark. That would show if there are any real gains to be had.

Looking at the script, it essentially just re-writes all of the databases on the phone (via a VACUUM/REINDEX combo). Logic would state that if you have badly fragmented databases, which would manifest as things like degredation of performance over time, then this should make your phone a bit snappier.

[edit: I ran before and after tests (average of 3 tests). There was no appreciable difference between the tests. Now, the test results may not reflect real world results for two reasons: 1. I have no idea how the database I/O test in AnTuTu actually tests (what database, etc) and 2. I received errors when the script was attempting to vacuum databases ("error: unable to open file"), though the re-indexing worked fine.

End result? The test essentially means nothing and all we can go off of is anecdotal evidence. However, whether it's a placebo effect or not, this process simply can't harmfully impact your phone. As such, results should be anything from no change in response to some response increase.

Yeah, I know. A whole lot of typing that essentially says nothing. Sorry!]

p2kmafia
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jco23 View Post
RFS or EXT4?

and is this the app: play.google[DOT]com/store/apps/details?id=ptSoft.util.sqlite3forroot
yes that's the app but check out my rootzwiki thread the flashable zip file adds the detailing script to your sd card that you'll need if you feel your device slowing down.

Cilraaz: thanks for testing this out. the error opening files might have to do with a bad install. keep the detailing script and try the app in the playstore for the install or reflash the zip

Cilraaz
Old
Thanks Meter 204

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by p2kmafia View Post
Cilraaz: thanks for testing this out. the error opening files might have to do with a bad install. keep the detailing script and try the app in the playstore for the install or reflash the zip
I re-installed from Play and have tested my copy of sqlite3. It is a working copy. I also didn't flash the zip. I downloaded the zip, extracted the shell script, and manually placed it on my SD card. I've run the vacuum command manually as well, and received the same error.

p2kmafia
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
I don't know what to tell you. I just re-ran the detailing script and I don't receive those errors, but if you know it is installed correctly/is vacuuming it shouldn't be a problem. I wish I knew more about this software to help out. I just discovered it helps a lot haha.

Endless2232
Old
Thanks Meter 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
I re-installed from Play and have tested my copy of sqlite3. It is a working copy. I also didn't flash the zip. I downloaded the zip, extracted the shell script, and manually placed it on my SD card. I've run the vacuum command manually as well, and received the same error.
Are you using script manager to run the script? And if so are you running with root privileges?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using xda premium
If I helped be polite and say thank you. =)

Cilraaz
Old
Thanks Meter 204

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless2232 View Post
Are you using script manager to run the script? And if so are you running with root privileges?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using xda premium
Script manager as root. Command line as root. The entire script and individual manual vacuums. Same result on all. Maybe I'll boot into CWM and run a fix permissions to see if that does anything.