[ROOT][T769] Rooted kernel for Blaze 4G :: 4/9/12

Search This thread

k0nane

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 7, 2008
www.k0nane.info
Just got everything working finally. Now its taking FOREVER to send a text message. Even with 4 bars and 4G. Once I type it and hit send it just hangs there sending. i tried sending an SMS to my own number to see how long it would take and it took over 5 mins. Not sure whats going on. I tried this with both stock messaging and GO SMS. Same results.

Did you wipe data in the factory recovery?

Rugged96

May 26, 2010
Nashville
will root access allow me to change the quick launch buttons on the bottom. i really don't like the messaging app and would prefer to have my email on the bottom quick launch.

Cirkustanz

May 5, 2010
You don't need root to do that. Try using any of launcher programs available in the market.

Personally I use launcher pro plus. Go launcher and ADW are also popular.

Reactions: Rugged96

red wagon

May 9, 2012
Flash Duration?

Any idea how long it typically takes to do either the blaze-root-kernel.tar (6+ MB) flash or the SGH-T769-UVLB7-hitsquad.tar (602+ MB) recovery flash?

btw: I couldn't find any previously logged info. regarding expected flash times.

Last edited:

shabbypenguin

May 30, 2010
Any idea how long it typically takes to do either the blaze-root-kernel.tar (6+ MB) flash or the SGH-T769-UVLB7-hitsquad.tar (602+ MB) recovery flash?

btw: I couldn't find any previously logged info. regarding expected flash times.

should be less than 30 seconds for it

rogueofmv

May 11, 2012
Flashed using this ROM.

Used Titanium Backup to remove some bloat (I did my research!).

But now I cannot make or receive calls. Any idea what is happening?

EDIT: performed a factory reset... which didn't help, but after switching Network Mode to "GSM only" I can use the phone again... is this normal?

Last edited:

shabbypenguin

May 30, 2010
this isnt a rom. it is just a rooted kernel, there are 7 pages of people thanking and saying things worked great.

Cirkustanz

May 5, 2010
Flashed using this ROM.

Used Titanium Backup to remove some bloat (I did my research!).

But now I cannot make or receive calls. Any idea what is happening?

EDIT: performed a factory reset... which didn't help, but after switching Network Mode to "GSM only" I can use the phone again... is this normal?

I bet you ten bucks you removed something you should not have.

I only really have a guess as to why switching your phone to gsm only enabled it to work, but that should have nothing to do with disabling apps. But, as far as I'm aware, you would have no reason to ever mess with the network mode so.........

BTW, removing whatever apps you did, won't make your phone perform faster so your motivation was probably wrong from the beginning. :p

Also, I'd bet another 10 bucks you don't have a clear understanding of what factory reset really does. I'm mentioning this because I'd bet that 10 bucks that you think it's a get out of jail free card.

It's not. (would be nice though!)

Reactions: shabbypenguin

Desertstorm00

Apr 13, 2012

I only really have a guess as to why switching your phone to gsm only enabled it to work, but that should have nothing to do with disabling apps. But, as far as I'm aware, you would have no reason to ever mess with the network mode so.........

BTW, removing whatever apps you did, won't make your phone perform faster so your motivation was probably wrong from the beginning. :p

Also, I'd bet another 10 bucks you don't have a clear understanding of what factory reset really does. I'm mentioning this because I'd bet that 10 bucks that you think it's a get out of jail free card.

I think you just made yourself 30 bucks...:p

Sent from my SGH-T769 using XDA

rogueofmv

May 11, 2012

Yes, I admit I know nothing about what I am doing and this is my first time ever doing this. I have never owned an Android device before, this is my first one and I just got it this week.

Also, I have since switched my phone's network mode back to Auto mode, and everything works as it should... so I suppose I was just unlucky with my timing in regards to network reliability on the night that I performed the root process.

Live and learn!

Last edited:

Animosity

May 15, 2012
Hi so i installed this and then a build although it failed so i had to stock flash it back to get it working again. When i go to the downloader it says i have 8 custom firmwares installed, i know that. But is that bad?

Cirkustanz

May 5, 2010
It said it was successful, but the bloatwares are still on the phone? Did I do something wrong?

Yes. What you did wrong is think that putting in this kernel was going to remove those applications.

I mean that in the nicest possible way. Really, I do.

The only thing that has changed now, is you now have the ability to use applications that require "super-user" access. You can, for example, load titanium backup or a similar application, and it can remove or freeze applications that you consider "bloatware".

Other examples would be that you can run applications that circumvent connectivity limitations imposed in the phone. In my example, I wanted to use a ps3 controller to play emulated games. Rooting the phone, allowed it to work.

I hate to break this to you, but the stuff on the phone that you don't want, such as tmobiletv, mobilelife, gamecentral, or whatever.......they don't slow your phone down. Removing them won't make your phone faster.

If I could only give you one piece of advice, is that before you do anything requiring super-user permissions, please do yourself a favor and know what you are doing, in advance.

Reactions: itsLYNDZ

Phattack

May 15, 2012
Thanks for the information. I just want the bloatware off. I don't see the need of them. But thank you again.

flyers00

Jul 28, 2009
Marlton
Google Pixel 4
Just got the phone yesterday,battery life is fair and tons of bloatware. question is root or not ? How is the phone running after root. thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    k0nane presents...
    Rooted Kernel for Blaze 4G
    Sponsored by k0nane.info. Have you tipped your devs today?

DO NOT CHECK REPARTITION! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Why the big red warning? Far too many people have broken their devices by not following these instructions! Search the forums, or drop by IRC - you'll see plenty of examples.

So, you wanted root? You got root! Samsung devices come with an unlocked bootloader. Thanks to pointers from other members that the T-Mo SGS2 CWM boots (badly), we were able to get some dumps, and prep this easily little package for you. This kernel includes a fully-linked copy of BusyBox 1.19.3, init.d (busybox run-parts) support, and various other niceties. Devs, see here for what the script essentially looks like.

Instructions

1. Download Odin 1.85 - see section below.
    2. Download the rooted kernel TAR - see section below.
    3. Extract the contents of odin-185.zip.
    4. Run Odin 1.85.exe, and prepare Odin:
      • Check "auto-reboot", and uncheck all other options.
      • Click PDA and select the TAR you downloaded. Click PIT and select the PIT your downloaded.
    5. Put your device into Download Mode:
      • Connect the USB cable to your PC, but NOT your device.
      • Remove the battery.
      • Reinsert the battery.
      • Hold down Volume Up + Volume Down + Power.
    6. You should now be at Download Mode.
    7. Click Start in Odin.

That's it! Your device will autoreboot, and your phone should be working properly again.

shabbypenguin said:

Having trouble entering Download Mode? Watch this YouTube video by DrTaru (doktortaru on XDA)!

Downloads​

Credits:

• DrTaru: stock device, remote access, lots of testing, screenshots, patience
    • Shabbypenguin: Shabbypenguin (do I need to say more?)
    • JFigure/Watcher64: initial testing and pointers/proof of concept
    • UberPinguin: notes on building kernels for celox, which also apply to this device
    P-O-S-T :: R-E-S-E-R-V-E-D

AAvvp.png

Original artwork by Pendulum via Gasolin3.

...for future use.

Follow me on Twitter @k0nane and @publik0!
    Ok, the text in the original post specifically says to not have the usb cable connected to your phone. I watched the video and while it's not mentioned in the video, the cable is connected to the guys phone the entire time.

So I started over with the cable plugged in, and now it's "downloading" on the phone.

If it confused me (I'm just a guy who reads instructions) it will likely confuse someone else!

Don't forget to uncheck re-partition after you load the PIT, it will toggle it back on and it's easy to not notice it!

When your phone says "downloading" and you hit start, Odin will do it's magic, it pauses for a few seconds, and then it will reboot your phone, and you'll be back in and everything will be there waiting for you.

BTW, thanks a bunch. After loading this, I was able to use the sixaxis app in the marketplace to use my old PS3 controller to play SNES and other roms without any problem at all. Works like a charm, and it's a lot better than the old Datel wiipad style one I had before!
    I have everything setup in Odin but I only get a msg saying:

"<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 0)"
    Make sure you have the drivers for your device installed.

I have a feeling that XDA will make a section for us and ROM dev will be around the corner!
    We'll see - one can hope. I don't own the device, I'm just here to get you guys off the ground.

Just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly. The process described above will give root access while keeping the stock ROM that came with the phone, right?
    Correct. This is just a rooted stock kernel with some other goodies in it.

Just FYI, when you click to upload the PIT, "Re-Partition" will auto select itself again. scared the crap out of me.
    That it will.

thanks im going to try this for my bro. I have been waiting for some time to root it and remove the bloatware thank you
    Thanks for your support!
    keep it tight guys ;)