What phone would you get?

Tip us?

david_hume
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420fan View Post
I'm not really sure what to do. I'm really struggling which way to go. I do love the coverage I have with verizon, but have a serious issue with some of their policies and their sheer corporate greed.
Can't really disagree with that. I also feel a little outraged at the $30 upgrade fee because a corporate beast like Verizon shouldn't need to have their customers pay more money for an upgrade.

Verizon has good coverage and all, but their demand for more money does turn me away from them. Their upgrade fee is probably gonna end up backstabbing thrm when they lose some subscribers for that. This makes me want to go to Sprint or possibly AT&T (if the price is still better than Verizon after the price change).
PHONE: Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III (Rooted)
- Running MOAR 7.1 Verizon by NewCultKing and Rompnit
- Backup ROM: Wicked Sensations by Dazedandconfused and Mikeman45

PHONE: Sony Xperia Z Ultra (Rooted)
- Running Google Play Edition ROM

TABLET: Google Nexus 7 (2013) by ASUS (Rooted and running Stock ROM)
TABLET: Google Nexus 10 by Samsung (Rooted and running Stock ROM)

jakob95
Old
Thanks Meter 20
A lot of the people here that say they want to get the Inc 4G say that they will get it without the contract, wouldn't it be like around $500-$600 then? Or do phones get a lot cheaper to $200-$300 fast? I don't know how the prices work out in the used market.

juzz86
Old
Retired Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 1890
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakob95 View Post
A lot of the people here that say they want to get the Inc 4G say that they will get it without the contract, wouldn't it be like around $500-$600 then? Or do phones get a lot cheaper to $200-$300 fast? I don't know how the prices work out in the used market.
It'll be that much outright from Verizon. CDMA phones lose value far quicker than GSM phones on the used market, you can pick up a Rezound for under $300 in the MP, same with a Droid 4 etc.

Won't take long after it hits to be able to score a good deal

jakob95
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by juzz86 View Post
It'll be that much outright from Verizon. CDMA phones lose value far quicker than GSM phones on the used market, you can pick up a Rezound for under $300 in the MP, same with a Droid 4 etc.

Won't take long after it hits to be able to score a good deal
Wow so its basically stupid to buy an Android phone for $200 on contract then? And I thought you had to wait 2 years to sell the phone if it was on contract, or else verizon will put a bad ESN on it.

PacerguyDon
Old
Thanks Meter 219

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Wow so its basically stupid to buy an Android phone for $200 on contract then? And I thought you had to wait 2 years to sell the phone if it was on contract, or else verizon will put a bad ESN on it.
I still have 11 months till my scheduled upgrade, but there is no need to wait that long, or longer...
You can wait a few months after a phone has been released, and then go shopping on Ebay, Craigslist or the phone forums.
I recently picked up my GNex on Ebay for just over 300 bucks (manufacture refurb) It looks like new, and works great.
I basically paid what Vzw charged for this phone a few months back when it was released, but I'm still eligible for my upgrade in 11 months.
It's a win win
~Don~
Galaxy Nexus
RasbeanJelly/Trinity
Moto Xoom
Team Eos 3

Give Minus or
Dropbox a try.

juzz86
Old
Retired Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 1890
Quote:
Pretty much, yeah. You end up paying more over the length of the contract, it's always a long-term saving to get your own handset outright.

You only have to keep the account in good standing for two years to avoid a bad ESN. Pay your bills, and your ETF if you finish early, and the device is clear as far as I understand. There are VZW guys in the MP who swap devices almost every week and never seem to have any problems

jakob95
Old
Thanks Meter 20
I noticed that according to various sources the Incredible 4G only has a VGA camera/0.3 megapixel front facing camera. Why did they do that the Inc 2 has a 1.3MP front facing camera, why would they just downgrade...

david_hume
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 305
Quote:
I noticed that according to various sources the Incredible 4G only has a VGA camera/0.3 megapixel front facing camera. Why did they do that the Inc 2 has a 1.3MP front facing camera, why would they just downgrade...
Don't take it up to face value. Megapixels don't determine everything about a camera. Just wait till we see the phone's images.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using XDA
PHONE: Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III (Rooted)
- Running MOAR 7.1 Verizon by NewCultKing and Rompnit
- Backup ROM: Wicked Sensations by Dazedandconfused and Mikeman45

PHONE: Sony Xperia Z Ultra (Rooted)
- Running Google Play Edition ROM

TABLET: Google Nexus 7 (2013) by ASUS (Rooted and running Stock ROM)
TABLET: Google Nexus 10 by Samsung (Rooted and running Stock ROM)

Card83
Old
Thanks Meter 50
I like the Droid 4 because I love having a physical keyboard. But the PenTile screen just makes my eyes sad.

I like the Droid Razr Maxx because I would love to have a full day of heavy use on the phone without needing to find an outlet. But I keep hearing people say that the battery life just isn't quite as good as advertised.

I like the Galaxy Note, because more screen real estate is always nice to have. But I'm afraid it's just a bit TOO big to be comfortable to use as a day-to-day phone.

I like the Galaxy S3 because it's pure cell phone bliss. But it's not out yet.

So, in other words...I'll stick with my DInc2 at least until the next generation of phones comes out. The level of advancement is so rapid in this field, that it's easy to burn through money to always have "the next big thing". If I'm satisfied with what I have, I just enjoy it as long I can.
-Card
LG G2 - Daily Driver - Malladus 1.2.8 JB
Sony Xperia Play - GrooveIP WiFi home phone / Gaming Device - xEliteGamer 1.7
Kindle Fire - Hashcode Stock JB 4.2.2 / Hashcode kernel
Motorola Droid 4 - Work Phone - Stock, against my choice
Galaxy Nexus - Ubuntu Touch testbed
Retired: Droid Incredible 2, Droid Charge, EeePC Android x86, OG Droid, OG Droid #2

shredder47
Old
Thanks Meter 9
As of today, I'm upgrade eligible....

Coming from a Fascinate to a Inc2, I've lucked into getting two phones with good devs, and good hackability.

Right now, I'm eyeing a galaxy nexus pretty hard. Its guaranteed unlockable, rootable, good dev community, etc. Plus, I love the phone itself.

The Rezound is good, but at this point, I'd probably just rather wait for the Inc4G. However with the Inc4G there's no guarantee of getting it unlockable, which causes me some worry.

The GS3 is the same way. I loved my GS (Fascinate) to death, but I'm just worried Verizon will put her on lockdown.

I don't know what to do