Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,354 Members 43,868 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

reparation "service"

Tip us?

ssl123
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Have you ever damaged your car and tried to get an estimate over the phone? They don't do it and won't do it, because they do not want to be obligated in any way to a quote without having seen the car and checked it for external and internal damages.

Let's say you call ASUS, and they tell you $100 to replace a screen. You send it in, and they find more damage than you told them over the phone. What then? You won't be satisfied with the inevitable conclusion that way either.

GenghisKhan67
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Ok, I'll try to make myself more clear: damage to a tablet's touchscreen can be a complex affair, and is in no way comparable to fixing a broken mirror on a car (sorry). If it's just the glass that is affected, it shouldn't cost a lot to replace it (I have done so on a Nexus One a few years ago), but if you need to replace the digitizer, it'll cost you more. That's why most repair shops will provide an estimate but won't be upfront about the exact cost before having the chance to examine the unit firsthand.

And again, I feel your pain, but you should know this is standard procedure in most cases.

EDIT: ssl123 clarified the point even better than I did. Thanks.
"Why Genghis Khan was good for the planet: laying waste to land scrubbed 700m tonnes of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere." The Guardian, Jan. 26th 2011

Old
(Last edited by 1234556789; 4th May 2012 at 07:30 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234556789 View Post
Sometimes it seems to me that i am not from this world...
I never say that i want a 100 % accurate estimate without checking it before !

Am i the only one who expected that -for example- it is possible to say that changing the display cost XXX € ? Of course, if there is more to do it costs more

!
just read what i wrote before.

Have you ever damaged your car and tried to get an estimate over the phone? ---- If i ask for changimg the window from my car - they tell me the prize!

by the way- do you think the other things are normal ?

gandalf

edit : Status after 1 Month : rapairing.....
Device:
HTC DESIRE -root
Galaxy S3 Mini- root
Asus Transformer-root
NEXUS 7 root
Samsung GalaxyNote 12.2

EP2008
Old
Thanks Meter 292
Once you are out of warranty, go to a third party repair center, not the manufacturer.

It's like going to get a repair on your car at the dealership vs the mechanics shop down the street. You end up paying 4x more for the same service.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
------------------------------------------------------
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 w/ KK 4.4.2 (stock rom)
Apple iPad 4th gen w/ iOS 7
HP Touchpad w/ WebOS and CM9 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
MSI 110W Windows 8 tablet

Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EP2008 View Post
Once you are out of warranty, go to a third party repair center, not the manufacturer.

It's like going to get a repair on your car at the dealership vs the mechanics shop down the street. You end up paying 4x more for the same service.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
-Your right- next time i ll do it.

The neverending story:
get it back today- repaired.
But i wrote that they send the broken touchscreen back (because it works- indoor it is all OK- only outdoor its not so good)
Of course they do not.....

Kind regards
gandalf
Device:
HTC DESIRE -root
Galaxy S3 Mini- root
Asus Transformer-root
NEXUS 7 root
Samsung GalaxyNote 12.2