Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,210 Members 49,464 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Micro Arc Oxidation failure?

Tip us?

eejlny
Old
(Last edited by eejlny; 11th May 2012 at 09:15 AM.) Reason: spelling mistakes
Thanks Meter 0
Default sending it back

I have now the s for one day and I am almost ready to send it back.

I have the following issues with it:

Issues that I knew and bothered me:

Lack of SD card and fixed battery. What happens after one year when battery performance goes down?. Will HTC replace it under warranty since it is a 24 months?

MAO failure. I thought I could be a lucky one with this. Since yesterday no problems but I guess they will show up eventually.

New things:

No NFC support and no way to add it since there is no SD slot and the SIM is micro. This seems like a very silly thing to do since NFC could become very popular.

I have an old HD2 running android and the screen feels much more roomy in the HD2. Big icons and widgets, big keyboard, the browser lets me write esily. The screen quality is of course bettern on the S but it just feels small. I can tell the format of the screen is different but I did not expect to have this feeling since they are both 4.3 inches

The S has reboot randomly twice since yesterday. It has simply reboot and ask for a log to be sent to HTC. I think this is pretty bad. What happens if it freezes and I cannot remove the fixed battery?

THe battery performance seems so and so.

I really like the design and material apperance. The S2 looks so plasticky in comparison. The one s just has too many issues ...

chic.geek
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by eejlny View Post
I have now the s for one day and I am almost ready to send it back.
If NFC was on your wishlist, why are you just finding out about it now? There was never any pretence that the S has NFC. (The X does.) I'm still not convinced that NFC will become of any practical use for the time that I plan to have this phone, about two years.

The SD card ultimately just slows down transfer and loading speeds. I think it would have been nice if there was 32 GB or 64 GB onboard, over expandable memory, but don't see myself filling this up with my use anyway.

Sim card + scissors = micro Sim. No issues here, and I even could float the micro in my old Desire with no issue.

Regarding reboots, have you tried a factory reset? It's a good time, since you just got the phone. And if you need to reboot a frozen phone, you can hold down the power button for ten second in lieu of taking out the battery.

eejlny
Old
(Last edited by eejlny; 11th May 2012 at 09:42 AM.) Reason: spelling mistakes
Thanks Meter 0
Default nfc

Yes, I should have read more about this NFC support.

The place I got it from mobiles.co.uk.

Listed NFC in the connectivity list under specs for the onw S and I thought that was the case. I guess I see it as a basic feature.

Will holding the button to switch off the phone work always? . In my previous phone I have been forced to remove the battery from time to time. Not very often but it has happened.

---------- Post added at 09:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 AM ----------

Regarding the Sim and Microsim is that I have read that it is possible to get NFC chips integrated in the SIM card so if you really need NFC you can always get one of these SIM cards.

This does not seem to be possible with MicroSIMs because there is no room for the NFC antena/chip?

kyuubi_ac
Old
Thanks Meter 31
There's no need for pulling the battery in freeze. iPhone Users for example never have able to pull it and have no probs with this at all. I don't know what the difference in implementation of the combo is this time, but it works.

NFC: This could become a nice feature but for sure will take it's time until then. So for me there is no need to have it at leat for the next, maybe next two years.

But I don't understand that you knew about all the issues before, bouht the phone, not specially suffering from those issues but still now decide to send it back. Kinda confusing my mind

eejlny
Old
Thanks Meter 0
The issues I knew about were bothering me but they were not a deal breaker. I am sure most people would have prefered to see the SD card slot and removable battery for example. THey still went ahead and bought it.

I did not know about NFC and I did not expect that the phone will reboot after installing one app.

Then, it is this feeling that the screen is smaller than my current HD2 (a bit taller and narrower). Maybe it is just my impression. I think this is what it really affects me. You do not get this feeling at all?

Anyway is a great looking phone and hopefully HTC will do something about MAO.

kyuubi_ac
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
I did not know about NFC
Ok if your dealer was providing the wrong information and you really would like NFC, I can understand that.

Quote:
and I did not expect that the phone will reboot after installing one app.
That really is no usual behavior, my device did no unexpected reboot until now. I also would suggest to do a factory reset, that should help I think.

Quote:
Then, it is this feeling that the screen is smaller than my current HD2 (a bit taller and narrower). Maybe it is just my impression. I think this is what it really affects me. You do not get this feeling at all?
Since I was using a Desire before, the screen now is simply larger and though a plus for me! Compared to the HD2 the One S has another format. Due to all those media standards it's 16:9 now, so the display is longer but narrower than on the HD2. It can understand that this bothers if someone isn't used to it, but I also think that all screens in near future will have 16:9.

Anyway, everybody has different desires and tastes. So good luck with choosing another device!

Harrysoon
Old
Thanks Meter 112
Well I went back to Carphone Warehouse today after getting the reply from HTC that the new batch of phones have been sent out that should have a stronger coating. I'm the only person who has gone in to Carphone Warehouse in my town with the problem, so I went to the Orange shop and the two people in there looked like they had never seen a One S before. The guy in Carphone Warehouse did say he'd ring through to head office or something and contact me next week with more information.

mvdss
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Hi,

I just wanted to know: does everyone with the black one s have the chipping problem or are there people on here who have the black one and don't have these problems?

Habarug
Old
Thanks Meter 414
Everybody doesn't have it , I for example do not have it

Sent from my HTC One S using XDA
HTC ONE S Locked, stock, Super-Cid and S-Off :P

Nexus 10 Clean Rom

Michael77500
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Hello,

I have the black HTC One S and I don't have any problems with the painting.

Tags
one s flaw, one s scratches