Manual Rotation???

Search This thread

MightyMike

Dec 19, 2007
Hey Guys,

so while playing around with the diamond config utility, i've noticed theres a registry option to enable "manual screen rotation'

Now, since the gsen app currently doesn't work with the Telus ROM, i would imagine that this registry key would allow you to switch the screen manually.

Is there any button i have to press to manually rotate the screen?

If i am completely mistaken about this option, is there another solution besides the gsen app?

I don't mind pressing a hotkey button to manual rotate for the time being until gsen fixes the app to work with telus as well.

Any ideas? Thanks a million!!!!

MightyMike

Dec 19, 2007
yeh exactly...

i can understand gsen would allow you to rotate automaticaly, but until they fix it, i wouldn't mind doing it manually for temporary purposes.

i would really love to text in landscape mode!

There has to be a way to assign a key to rotate the screen.

doughamm

Feb 26, 2008
Workaround - Quick Menu!

yeh exactly...

i can understand gsen would allow you to rotate automaticaly, but until they fix it, i wouldn't mind doing it manually for temporary purposes.

i would really love to text in landscape mode!

There has to be a way to assign a key to rotate the screen.

Install an application called "Quick Menu" -- it's a Start Menu replacement that I've used for a while. Referenced in this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=340358

You can do four things with H-V toggle:

1. Find it in the Quick Menu menu
2. Set Quick Menu so that holding the Windows icon for a second or two will do an H-V switch (great for apps that aren't fullscreen - i.e. blocking the start menu)
3. Create a shortcut to the H-V switch within Quick Menu, and assign that to the press-and-hold button. Great for fullscreen apps like TomTom!
4. If you use Voice Command software (ex. Microsoft's), you can launch the H-V shortcut that way. For example, "Open Rotate" launches the H-V icon which I've renamed "Rotate".

All these make more sense once you get to know Quick Menu.

MightyMike

Dec 19, 2007
great.. thanks for the recommendation but now my phone is messed

first off, it wouldn't stay landscape, it would just resort back to portrait, and now when i closed the program, and rebooted, i don't have my task bar in the top right nemore. it disappeared and i cannot get it back :mad:

now what?? hard reset?:(

MightyMike

Dec 19, 2007
great.. thanks for the recommendation but now my phone is messed

first off, it wouldn't stay landscape, it would just resort back to portrait, and now when i closed the program, and rebooted, i don't have my task bar in the top right nemore. it disappeared and i cannot get it back :mad:

now what?? hard reset?:(

nevermind, quick fix ... phew!!!! it was in the task manager settings to turn it back on... oh man that was close!!!!

MightyMike

Dec 19, 2007
ok this is cool... i got the manual rotation working by holding the windows key.... this is amazing Thank you sooo much!!!

although one qwerk... I find that i cannot use the menu at all. I've pretty much set it to quick turn to landscape... i click slightly to the right to use my regular start menu. reason being is because if i use it, it removes my task mgr in the top right of my screen and then i have to go and enable it manually within my settings.

So im pretty much just using it for holding the windows logo to change my orientation. other than that it's great!!!!

thanks a million man i appreciate it!

logger

Dec 11, 2007
Alternatively if you do not want to use additional software like QuickMenu. this method works well...

1) Change your registry to enable screen rotation:
HKLM - System - GDI - Rotation - HideOrientationUI (Change from 1 to 0)

2) Then, simply map your phone button long press to the rotation tweak:
Settings -> Buttons -> Map with <Rotate Screen>

3) When you would like to rotate your screen, just hold your Phone button.

skilty

Feb 23, 2005
Ash-Vegas
Alternatively if you do not want to use additional software like QuickMenu. this method works well...

1) Change your registry to enable screen rotation:
HKLM - System - GDI - Rotation - HideOrientationUI (Change from 1 to 0)

2) Then, simply map your phone button long press to the rotation tweak:
Settings -> Buttons -> Map with <Rotate Screen>

3) When you would like to rotate your screen, just hold your Phone button.

I've done a similar thing but without changing the registry. If you look under screen in advanced config there's the option to have landscape. If you then go into start - settings - system - screen the option to have portrait or landscape is there. you can then go start - personal - buttons and map your screen rotation to whatever key you want.

logger

Dec 11, 2007
Here is a cab to enable the rotation if you are not familiar with the registry.

Attachments

• enableRotate.zip
    718 bytes · Views: 152

logger

Dec 11, 2007
I've done a similar thing but without changing the registry. If you look under screen in advanced config there's the option to have landscape......
Your changing the registry with advanced config aren't you? Either way works no doubt. More than one way to skin a cat.

gm_fisher

Nov 2, 2007
A Little application - Trotate

I wrote a little program which will rotate screen following a Finger Swipe.

Originally written for Touch(Elf) program appear to work OK on Diamond.

I have found that when selecting Home Screen that the Diamond will return to normal Screen orientation after a brief pause, or you can return to original orientation by re-running application.

Enjoy....

Attachments

• TRotate.CAB
    26.3 KB · Views: 87

doughamm

Feb 26, 2008
I've done a similar thing but without changing the registry. If you look under screen in advanced config there's the option to have landscape. If you then go into start - settings - system - screen the option to have portrait or landscape is there. you can then go start - personal - buttons and map your screen rotation to whatever key you want.

Slick! That'll do the trick too!

Re: QuickMenu -- it has its own Running Programs list, and the author decided his app should no conflict with HTC's and auto-disables HTC's. :) It's weird, but I got used to it.

-Doug

beermonster65

Feb 20, 2007
anyone have problems with the clock in the topright corner, mines gone and half the signal strength meter is covered by a blank

MightyMike

Dec 19, 2007
Oh man, thanks a bunch for the info guys!!! so i already had the enable landscape mode in the registry but never knew how to activate it. I just went into my buttons menu and saw the "rotate" screen option by holding the send key! it works great!!!!
no need for any 3rd party appps.

thanks for all the recommendations guys, this method will work wonderfully until the gsen app works for the telus diamond!

thank you once again guys!

MightyMike

Dec 19, 2007
ok guys i'm having a problem

i'm using the method of holding send key to manual rotate.

it works working fine when i tried it out, now while im trying to type a text message, it resorts back to the portrait mode, and exits back to the homescreen.

any ideas why?

chakde

Apr 11, 2008
Hey mightymike84, did you fix this issue or stillcausing headaches for you. I am also on telus and was wondering about the reults before I make a change to the reistry setting. Also I do use the send key for the voice command option, any other way to use say one of the other keys. Thanks.

I am new to the WM world (long time user of the palm treos) so sorry for the noob questions

chrissykes

Sep 3, 2008
Hi guys im interested in this manual rotate, but i have no buttons in the button settings to assign manual rotate to (MDA Compact IV) nor can i figure out how to create a short cut in "Quick Menu".

Could some please explain how to get a H-V Rotate shortcut working please?