XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

MT4GS Powermat Receiver Door for $9.99

Tip us?

ryaninc
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Default MT4GS Powermat Receiver Door for $9.99

Hey all, I just noticed that the official Powermat back battery door for the MT4GS is on sale at T-Mobile for ten bucks. You'll still need the actual Powermat charger, which goes for $20-30 online. The website also charges shipping and sales tax, FYI. But still a good price:

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/addons/...de=898#tblId10
Sony Xperia S, rooted, FreeXperia CM10
HP Touchpad, CM9 Nightlies
T-Mobile MyTouch 4G Slide, S-Off, CM9.1 (sold)
T-Mobile G2, S-Off, Rooted, CM7.1 Nightly (sold)
Black G1, DangerSPL, 2.22.23.02 Radio, Amon_Ra Recovery, BiffMod Froyo 2.1 (sold)

Animated G2 logo boot animation | DIY Android-powered car speedometer

dung8604
Old
Thanks Meter 71
great find, is it only in black?

shady503403
Old
Thanks Meter 66
These are highly worth the money, it charges the phone much faster and is nice to not "plug" my phone in..

Got one for xmas and works amazing..

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk
G2_Vision. FTMFW!!

sgtmedeiros
Old
Thanks Meter 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by shady503403 View Post
These are highly worth the money, it charges the phone much faster and is nice to not "plug" my phone in..

Got one for xmas and works amazing..

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk
my battery door just **** the bed, so this is a godsend!

CyJack
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Case that fits?

I just got the PowerMat and battery door when I upgraded on Saturday. I love it, but I can't find a case that will fit over the slighty larger than normal battery door. Has anyone else had luck finding something that works?

rorytmeadows
Old
Thanks Meter 205
Where's the best place to get a single position mat? Best price?
RTM

XDA's #1 Apple hater

T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4 Rooted Stock 4.2.2
Transformer Prime Androwook 1.51 HairyBean 1.7Mhz, 4.2 Launcher

wjcarpenter
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Where's the best place to get a single position mat? Best price?
I looked around Amazon a little bit and saw plenty of single-position mats for a particular device, usually including the receiver door for that device, for under $10. (You know, for a device that you don't have. ) Here is one example (for BlackBerry Bold 9700): http://www.amazon.com/Powermat-Posit.../dp/B00462QB4C

It looks like these mats have a custom indentation to hug the back of the device, so it's unlikely to be a perfect fit. Also, if you device doesn't fit into the indentation, it might not charge.

But ... cheap! Most of these are not Amazon Prime eligible, so it costs another few bucks for shipping.

---------- Post added at 10:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 AM ----------

I'm sort of inspired by this thread to try hacking some powermat chargers for some other phones where the receiver is still expensive or there just isn't a receiver. If you search around, you can find some reports of folks who have done this with varying degrees of aesthetic sensibility in the results.

One idea, that I kind of like a lot, is to use the Palm Pre charging "Touchstone" as the transmitting mat. Because the Palm Pre was kind of a dud in the marketplace, the Touchstones are available for pretty cheap. Here's an example at Amazon for under $5, including shipping: http://www.amazon.com/Palm-Touchston.../dp/B002CMEIWK. One hitch with the Touchstone is that it uses a couple of magnetic thingies to activate it (and, I guess, hold the device in place). I'm sure one could deal with that somehow.

rorytmeadows
Old
Thanks Meter 205
Thanks for the last post.

Alright, I'm totally confused. I took a look on Amazon earlier this week, but without confidence in the mat actually working with the device perfectly, I decided to check out what was in stores.

I go to Best Buy and couldn't find them. I asked an associate and they said that they no longer are carrying PowerMats because of the shorting out risk.

Ummmmmmm, okay....

I go to Radio Shack and the associate there starts talking to me about two different types and how one doesn't charge fully all the time and that kills your battery over time and the other involves walking around with a "puck" on your phone.

What the hell is everyone talking about??? I thought these were pretty good and I'm reading nothing but nice reviews online, with the exception of the expense. Frankly, at $10 plus shipping for the case, I no longer care about the expense.

Thoughts????
RTM

XDA's #1 Apple hater

T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4 Rooted Stock 4.2.2
Transformer Prime Androwook 1.51 HairyBean 1.7Mhz, 4.2 Launcher

wjcarpenter
Old
Thanks Meter 17
I don't know anything definitive about most of that. From poking around today, I've deduced a few things (none of which involved "shorting out" ).

Powermat and Duracell both made something that looked like roughly the same technology. Some time in the recent past, Powermat and Proctor and Gamble (who I guess own the Duracell brand?) formed a joint venture or some marketing agreement to make and sell "Duracell Powermat" devices.

The mention of a puck thing could mean either of two things. First, Powermat sells a "universal" receiver, which is a little block with the inductor coil inside it. You still have to connect it to your phone's charger port via mini/micro USB (or one of their other tips). Of course, you wouldn't have that on all the time, except when you are charging. Second, Duracell sells or used to sell a gadget that semi-permanently plugs into your USB port and then sticks to the back of your phone. The latter sounds like what the RS guy was talking about.

wjcarpenter
Old
Thanks Meter 17
After a couple days out of town, I returned to find a bunch of packages of el cheapo Powermat stuff for experiments.

I got a single-position mat specially intended for iPhone 3G and 3GS from a 3rd party supplier on Amazon for $7.44 (and free shipping due to Amazon Prime). With the MT4GS Powermat receiver cover from T-Mobile, I can charge using this mat. It's not a perfect fit. The mat does have an indentation, but it's not for the iPhone. The included iPhone case has a rectangular hump on the back, and the indentation is for that hump. Still, by wiggling things a bit and placing the MT4GS off-center, it does charge. The MT4GS cover does not have that hump ... it's just slightly thicker than standard overall.

From the feel of things, there must be magnets that activate the mat. So, I had to fiddle with the placement of the phone to get the mat to turn on. Once it did, the charging light came on for the phone.

(I haven't taken any of this apart yet, so I'm speculating a little.)