Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,721 Members 39,794 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Phone turns off randomly

Tip us?

benwaffle
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default [Q] Phone turns off randomly

My phone randomly turns off when I'm not using it. (Like when I leave it too charge overnight or don't use it for a couple hours)
What could be the problem? How to fix this problem?

Thanks,
Benwaffle

drewdown757
Old
Thanks Meter 32
are u rooted? have cwm installed? custom rom?

benwaffle
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Rooted, ardatdat kernel, cwmr. Actually it didn't seem to happen last night, and I just installed the new kernel yesterday

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927 using XDA

bobbinthreadbare
Old
Thanks Meter 27
if it happens again after you changed the kernel, try a different rom and stay away from overclocking it and stuff. can't hurt to inspect your battery contacts if you spilled anything near it.

dudejb
Old
Thanks Meter 100
Turns off or locks? some people are getting it to lock it's called the sleep death and happens if you put your phone to charge at night with Wifi on. Some people try different Roms to fix this issue.

Aquethys
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 792

DONATE TO ME
Hehe my phone doesn't sleepdeath...I charge it on with wifi...maybe it's different

Sent from my Samsung CAPTIVATE Glide SGH-i927 using xda premium

dudejb
Old
Thanks Meter 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquethys View Post
Hehe my phone doesn't sleepdeath...I charge it on with wifi...maybe it's different

Sent from my Samsung CAPTIVATE Glide SGH-i927 using xda premium
That was a very helpful post.....Nah just kidding it doesn't happen to everyone. I have had my phone since December last year and I can count on 1 hand how many times it has happened to me. I always charge at night with WIFI on. But when it does happen I simply hold the power button till it reboots, so not a very big issue to me.

gtmaster303
Old
Thanks Meter 406

DONATE TO ME
Reviving this thread because I'm having a similar problem...
Running on stock, rooted.
It happens often enough for it to be a problem.
Only concern is when I go to sleep and rely on my phone as an alarm clock. I need my phone to work
Please note last charge cycle on the attached screenshot. Battery was at 84% and completely dead after sleeping for 8 hours. It doesn't even show me how the phone died, or what made it die.

During the day, I think I have the same problem. My phone will simply not turn on at times. I have to do a battery pull before I can get the phone to turn on again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shot_000001.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	1681150  

doode2011
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Default Re: [Q] Phone turns off randomly

Check the battery. Take it out and put it on a flat surface like wood or metal. Spin it like you would as a bottle, if it does that, then your battery is swollen and will cause problems like what you're experiencing. If that does happen, you need to replace the battery, as that is your only option. Sorry . It happened to me, but i was covered under warranty.

Sent from my SGH-I927 using xda premium

gtmaster303
Old
Thanks Meter 406

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by doode2011 View Post
Check the battery. Take it out and put it on a flat surface like wood or metal. Spin it like you would as a bottle, if it does that, then your battery is swollen and will cause problems like what you're experiencing. If that does happen, you need to replace the battery, as that is your only option. Sorry . It happened to me, but i was covered under warranty.

Sent from my SGH-I927 using xda premium
Battery looks fine. Not visually swollen and doesn't spin on a flat surface. Wish I had another battery to test this out...