Ask a question

No registration required

"[ROOT] Galaxy Tab 8.9 LTE (SGH-i957) *updated 2/10/2012*"

OP orlandoxpolice

2nd May 2012, 10:35 PM   |  #171  
Thanks Meter: 79

408 posts
Donate to Me
But the first method doesn't flash a custom kernel?
3rd May 2012, 11:33 PM   |  #172  
Flag CardBoardBox
Thanks Meter: 5

36 posts
More
Talking
thx a ton!
free@last free@last from atts ball&chain!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
4th May 2012, 09:59 PM   |  #173  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 240

1,696 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitF

But the first method doesn't flash a custom kernel?

no
5th May 2012, 12:08 AM   |  #174  
Westminster
Thanks Meter: 41

153 posts
I heard that ICS Upgrade with come at June, if I flash the root kernel can I update normally in my tab when the ICS realease?
8th May 2012, 07:41 AM   |  #175  
Flag Vancouvre
Thanks Meter: 29

161 posts
More
I'd bet you can flash the stock ATT firmware when it rolls out just by using the OTA upgrade checker in honeycomb. Kernel won't make a difference.
15th May 2012, 02:47 AM   |  #176  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Hi, Is the GSM phone call enabled with this ROM? thanks

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croak

Read my post, pretty well covers it. It nukes the AT&T firmware bloat, even Communications Manager. It's gone. My TI backups are still intact and I suppose I could restore the apps if I really wanted to, but since I'm not using AT&T none of it is necessary for me. And there's always the old AT&T firmware to flash back to if needed.

It wipes System applications, but will preserve all user-installed settings and applications. It'll also overwrite the root kernel, so you'll need to flash it again, along with CWM if you had that installed (actually, if you flash CWM first, then the CWM version of the kernels, you won't increase the flash counter).

It seems a bit faster (placebo or losing the bloat?), it's two months newer, it has the lawsuit-avoidance unlock screen, latest Market, it lets you select EDGE/HSPA/LTE preferences (EDGE only, WCDMA only, LTE only, auto), WiFi hotspot functionality is enabled, there is absolutely no Telus bloatware, you get full Samsung Accounts access (including Samsung's app store, which often has premium paid apps for free), Samsung's DIVE service, etc.

Hi, Croak. I am new to here, but I wonder if the GSM phone call is enabled in this new firmware? Also I wonder where I can get the ATT old firmware when necessary? thanks you so much for sharing.
4th July 2012, 11:11 PM   |  #177  
Flag Ontario, Canada

9 posts
More
noob question
So, if I rooted my tab with method one, and I factory reset everything, where does that leave my tablet? Would it be bricked? Would it remove the root? I read somewhere that once you root, you can't update nor can you factory reset. I just want to know before I screw something up. Thanks so much!
7th July 2012, 05:00 AM   |  #178  

1 posts
Unhappy Bricked my tablet
Hi, I think I bricked my tablet while trying to root it with Method 1 described here. Can any one help me unbrick it? Any way i can recover from this?
7th July 2012, 05:02 AM   |  #179  
OP Senior Member

1,696 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitofire532

So, if I rooted my tab with method one, and I factory reset everything, where does that leave my tablet? Would it be bricked? Would it remove the root? I read somewhere that once you root, you can't update nor can you factory reset. I just want to know before I screw something up. Thanks so much!

factory reset will *almost* never brick your device, and in this case it wont. i have factory reset many times with both methods and it is fine. You probably dont want to do a kies or ota update with a custom kernel or a custom recovery, which these both have, so in that case you would just odin back to stock and go from there. You can definitely factory reset no matter what. the only time i wouldnt recommend it is if a cm9 comes out for the tab, funny things happen with factory resets which arent done from the recovery menu, but that may have been fixed.

i have to update the OP, i would actually recommend TWRP instead of CWM from now on.
The Following User Says Thank You to orlandoxpolice For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th July 2012, 05:03 AM   |  #180  
OP Senior Member

1,696 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdisonline

Hi, I think I bricked my tablet while trying to root it with Method 1 described here. Can any one help me unbrick it? Any way i can recover from this?

Going to have to give more information than that. The more information you can give the better. What step did you get to?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
8.9, galaxytab, lte, root, sgh-i957
Previous Thread Next Thread