Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,525 Members 39,974 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HowTo] Root official AT&T 2.3.6 Gingerbread and UCLB3 leak - Infuse 4g

Tip us?

mhenryj
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Procedure changes

It appears that some steps have been changed in this procedure. Namely the steps using adb to set phone in download and recovery mode I believe.

Can I inquire the reason? It appeared a simpler way to accompish the tasks. I had the old way printed out and lost it. I now have this edited version, but was wondering the reason before proceeding to flash my kernel.

Thanks
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscott30 View Post
This is by no means new information, and others have posted this many times in other threads. Often, though, folks still ask how to root the Samsung UCLB3 leak or how to root the official AT&T Gingerbread release for the Infuse 4G (both are one and the same at the time of writing this).

Note that this also works for rooting the earlier UCL** and UCK** leaks.

Easiest option - flash a rom that is already rooted.:

The easiest option is to flash this Odin tar.md5 that I put together. It flashes stock UCLB3 with root already installed.:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1613523

Another easy option, if you already have cwm recovery, is to download and flash this version.:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1508619

And another easy option from qkster to get UCLB3 + cwm recovery in a Heimdall One-Click package.:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1524081

More involved option - do it yourself.:

If you're like me, though, and like to do things yourself (or you already have UCLB3 on your phone and need to root it), then below is one way to root the official release and leaked versions.

(Don't have the AT&T GB release or the UCLB3 leak yet? You can get the UCLB3 Gingerbread leak at this link: (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1507658). Extract the file in 7zip. Place the extracted file in the PDA slot in Odin. Flash.)

To root on your phone.:

(Note: Enable USB debugging in Settings / Applications / Development before performing the heimdall operations below.)

a.) Assuming that you have already flashed the Samsung UCLB3 leak, or that you already have it through AT&T and Kies mini, know these two things.: First, SuperOneClick WILL NOT root this release at the time of writing this. Second, you won't be able to root with the stock kernel, so you will need to flash a custom kernel at least temporarily.

b.) If you intend to go back to the stock UCLB3 kernel after using a custom kernel to root (not a bad idea if you want to keep all stock functionality), then follow this step. If you plan to keep the custom kernel (which allows for improvements such as CWM recovery, Voodoo lagfix, etc.) then skip this step.

If you intend to go back to the stock UCLB3 kernel, save some time and disable Voodoo lagfix by creating a directory on your internal sd card (/sdcard/), labeled Voodoo. Inside that folder, place an empty file named disable-lagfix (with no extension).

If you go back to flash the stock kernel, you will have issues doing so if you have Voodoo lagfix enabled.

c.) Use Heimdall to install a recent custom GB kernel.

Download a recent custom GB kernel. A good custom kernel to use is Entropy's Daily Driver, which can be found at this link.:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1212795

Download and install Heimdall on your computer. Follow ALL installation instructions in the README.txt file included with the program, including instructions for installation of the usb driver in zadig. If you don't install the libusb driver that comes with the program, your phone won't be detected, and you'll only receive error messages. Here is the download link.:

http://www.glassechidna.com.au/products/heimdall/

d.) Put your Infuse 4G in download mode

Battery pull method: Pull battery, hold down volume keys, replace battery, connect usb cable, and continue to hold volume keys until phone is in download mode.

e.) On your computer, place the custom kernel zImage in the same directory as heimdall.exe. In a command prompt, make this your working directory, and type this into the prompt on your computer.:

Code:
heimdall flash --kernel zImage
If kernel flash is successful, the phone will reboot. If you disabled Voodoo lagfix, the phone will boot up without much wait. If you didn't disable Voodoo lagfix, wait for the robotic lady voice to go on about all that is being done to enable Voodoo lagfix. Hope you don't mind waiting. You remember that I suggested that you disable Voodoo lagfix, right?

f.) Download the cwm installable zip at the link below, and place it on your internal sdcard (/sdcard/). You'll flash this in recovery in a moment to get root.

ChainsDD Superuser zip (to flash in cwm recovery):

http://downloads.androidsu.com/super...ghi-signed.zip

g.) Put the phone in Recovery Mode.

Button method: With the phone turned off, press and hold both volume buttons, as well as the power button. Release the power button after you see the Samsung logo on screen, and continue to hold the volume buttons.

h.) In recovery, choose "Install zip from sdcard". Select "Choose zip from sdcard", and choose the Superuser zip file that you placed on the internal sd card. Select "Yes -Install zip". When installation is complete, go back in the menu and choose "Reboot system now" After the reboot, you should now have the Superuser program and all system files necessary to be rooted.

i.) If you intend to keep Entropy's custom kernel, then you are done. You have rooted UCLB3 at this point, with a custom kernel.

If you want to flash the stock kernel now, you can do so, and you will keep root. To do that, extract the stock kernel zImage from the leaked Samsung UCLB3 rom linked at the beginning of this tutorial. You can use a program like 7zip to extract the leaked package, and also to extract the tar to get to the zImage. Be sure that Voodoo lagfix is disabled before going back to the stock kernel. Use the same steps outlined in part e.) of this tutorial to flash the stock zImage (or just use SGS Kernel Flasher).

External sdcard issues?: If you go back to the stock kernel after flashing a custom kernel, you will most likely have trouble seeing your external sdcard. To fix this, use Root Explorer (or a similar app) to edit /system/etc/vold.fstab. In Root Explorer, browse to /system/etc and choose "Mount R/W" to gain write permission to the directory. Open vold.fstab in the built in text editor. Change the mmc2 in the last line to mmc1. Save and exit. Reboot, and you will regain use of your external sd card.

Hope that helps someone!

jscott30
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhenryj View Post
It appears that some steps have been changed in this procedure. Namely the steps using adb to set phone in download and recovery mode I believe.
I took out the stuff about adb to reboot into download and recovery mode to simplify the steps for folks who were getting bogged down in all of the text in the tutorial. I'm a teacher and I've learned that the more you put in there, the less people will actually read. Plus, to use adb, a newbie would have to install adb, get it working, etc. It's easy enough to use the buttons on the phone, so I just left it at that.

Nothing wrong with using adb to reboot to recovery or download mode, though. Personally, that's how I do it most of the time, and it does save the effort of pushing buttons or pulling the battery.

Code:
adb reboot recovery
or

Code:
adb reboot download
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jscott30 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mhenryj
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Rooting

True. I had the luxury of having it based on my Eclipse install.

Thanks for adding the code snippets here (for possible future reference).

I did just go ahead and rooted with the battery pull method. I had been wanting to do for a while and just had the time.

Thanks for your post, it was quite helpful and informative. I was really suprised at how easy it was. It seems to be working great.

jscott30
Old
(Last edited by jscott30; 24th June 2012 at 07:40 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,271
Just added this new information to the how-to so folks can root UCLB3 without flashing the entire rooted OS.

-----------------

One easy option is to flash one of the custom Gingerbread kernels with CWM recovery from here. This won't wipe your current OS, data, or apps.:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=27123262

Download and place this file on your internal sdcard.:

http://downloads.androidsu.com/super...ghi-signed.zip

Then, put your phone in recovery mode. Shut phone off. Hold down power button and both volume buttons, and once the Samsung logo appears, let go of the power button. Keep holding volume buttons down until you get to red CWM recovery.

From there, install the Superuser zip by choosing "install zip from sdcard".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jscott30 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jdrogers84
Old
(Last edited by jdrogers84; 4th July 2012 at 02:13 AM.)
Thanks Meter 5
Ok Noob here.

So if i rooted to 2.3 from 2.2.1 no cwm and now have distortion on boot and recovery how do i flash something else without being able to wipe first?

Do i have to use sgs kernel flasher with a zImage? Is this just one option?

Can I just flash odin Option c from the OP with red cwm? +extras deodexed etc?

wait I think this is the answer....

Quote:
Entropy512's Daily Driver / Red CWM Recovery
2012.04.05-ODIN-Entropy_DD-GB-zImage.rar

INSTALL
------------------------
1.) Download and extract the desired kernel package from the section above.

2.) If needed, download the Odin exe HERE.

3.) If needed, install the latest Samsung USB drivers. You can get these by installing Samsung Kies, which can be found HERE.

4.) Place phone in download mode.

5.) Open the Odin exe; if your phone is recognized, the window under ID:COM will turn yellow.

6.) In Odin, click on "PDA" and browse to the tar.md5.

7.) Select the tar.md5. Make sure it shows up in the PDA window, and then click on Start. Do not power off or disconnect the phone while Odin flashes the package and reboots the phone.

8.) You're finished. If the progress window in Odin is green and reads "PASS!", then you have successfully flashed the kernel / recovery package.
and then does this give me GB bootloaders? sorry if this is in the wrong Q&A.

jscott30
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrogers84 View Post
and then does this give me GB bootloaders? sorry if this is in the wrong Q&A.
No, sorry, but that isn't how to get GB bootloaders. See the first question in the FAQ of the thread below for a quick way to get them via Odin.:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=25177681

Sent from my SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to jscott30 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jdrogers84
Old
Thanks Meter 5
If i use FAQ #3 will that get me out of distortion on boot and recovery? why and why not?

or is FAQ #1 my only option if I want to stay with GB?

....but if i go back to 2.2, boot and recovery will not have rainbow distortion?

THanks for all the help!

jscott30
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,271
Quote:
If i use FAQ #3 will that get me out of distortion on boot and recovery? why and why not?

or is FAQ #1 my only option if I want to stay with GB?

....but if i go back to 2.2, boot and recovery will not have rainbow distortion?

THanks for all the help!
Question #3 in that FAQ has nothing to do with GB bootloaders. Follow the answer to FAQ question #1 as I've noted before. The only way to get the bootloaders and get rid of the rainbows is to flash the bootloaders.

Sent from my SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

jdrogers84
Old
Thanks Meter 5
...so to be clear about this i dont need to wipe prior to a bootloader flash? as this would be very tough with rainbow distortion. And why is it that wiping isnt necessary?

what about prior to flashing kernels?

Im just trying to learn the safe practices. But it sounds like as long as you have good bootloaders you can get out of any mess.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using xda app-developers app

jscott30
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,271
Quote:
...so to be clear about this i dont need to wipe prior to a bootloader flash? as this would be very tough with rainbow distortion. And why is it that wiping isnt necessary?

what about prior to flashing kernels?

Im just trying to learn the safe practices. But it sounds like as long as you have good bootloaders you can get out of any mess.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using xda app-developers app
You won't have to wipe anything, because when you flash bootloaders you aren't flashing a partition that has to do with system files, etc. If you've already had success flashing other things in Odin and you know Odin works well for you, you would do good to just flash the GB bootloaders and be done with it. It's not as hard as you seem to be making it on yourself. Also, this thread is about rooting UCLB3; that's why you won't get too many quick answers about flashing bootloaders here.