Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,551 Members 37,565 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Lack of multi-tasking - Possible return

Tip us?

BarryH_GEG
Old
Thanks Meter 4,153
If you really want to pile-on, head over here. The XL'rs are far more up in arms than the X'rs.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1646409

I've asked the same questions of people that say the way multitasking is implemented is a real hardship but no one's answered. What's the harm? Of "X" hours a day using the phone, what percentage of your time is actually spent active in two (or more) apps simultaneously? And with a powerful processor it shouldn't matter whether a background app is in state or has to be restarted based on the way Android works (see below). I'm not trying to pick a fight I'm trying to understand the depth of the issue.

And since no one's read the article I linked to, here's the cruxt...

Once Android determines that it needs to remove a process, it does this brutally, simply force-killing it. The kernel can then immediately reclaim all resources needed by the process, without relying on that application being well written and responsive to a polite request to exit. Allowing the kernel to immediately reclaim application resources makes it a lot easier to avoid serious out of memory situations.

If a user later returns to an application that's been killed, Android needs a way to re-launch it in the same state as it was last seen, to preserve the "all applications are running all of the time" experience. This is done by keeping track of the parts of the application the user is aware of (the Activities), and re-starting them with information about the last state they were seen in. This last state is generated each time the user leaves that part of the application, not when it is killed, so that the kernel can later freely kill it without depending on the application to respond correctly at that point.

And based on this, the SGS3's handling memory managment just like the One X so there don't appear to be a lot of options for those with special multitasking needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhulk View Post
The GS3 has the same multitasking "issue" as the One X. I have tested it. That's all the more reason why I don't expect HTC to fix it in an update. I believe it's how the manufacturers intend it to work, for better or worse.

mmx6688
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Try to install Apex launcher free version and set it as default launcher. Reboot and see is situation get better. If works for you then it is sense problem.

It works like a charm on my X. No any problem for multitask.And it is so smooth.

Of course if you do want sense launcher then have to live with issue. But no harm to try Apex to see at least multitask can wrok or not

Raider0001
Old
Thanks Meter 16
BarryH_GEG everything looks nice when you write it down like that but i remember SGS did better multitasking then my new double ram HTC One X, on daily basis it kills everything when i9000 never killed my GG chatting app or music player - both just should be ON all the time i was using them thats only 2 apps to handle
Xperia Z, Nexus 7

Srgsx
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
At a co-workers urging I installed Go-launcher today in hopes of a quick fix. yeah nothing, still re-renders everything fricken thing it touches.

Should I stil try Apex ?

mmx6688
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Apex so far is best launcher for one X. I used it for 1 month. If it is not work for you I will post another solution which may help.

Srgsx
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Apex- ok you might be on to something !

Can still hold app data while in airplane mode...

ShyamSasi
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,733

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srgsx View Post
the One X any open browser page or related app becomes a useless blank page when airplane mode is switched on.
If your rooted then flash Jan's Advance Notification toggle to enable Airplane Mode it will retain the webpage because you're not going into a different app.

nativestranger
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srgsx View Post
At a co-workers urging I installed Go-launcher today in hopes of a quick fix. yeah nothing, still re-renders everything fricken thing it touches.

Should I stil try Apex ?
I dont think this is caused by sense taking up too much resources. Seems to be an ics inherent thing. The sgs3 was just reported to behave the same way.

Oh yes i tried the ipad3 the other day. The display was perfect but what surprises me is it multitasks amazingly well. I can have 5 - 6 apps open including youtube and browser with multiple tabs and it switches between them smoothly without once quiting the browser. Really sad to see android/ ics regressed to this state that ios significantly beat it.

mmx6688
Old
Thanks Meter 24
if it is ics problem why I can use mutlitask on my one X?

BarryH_GEG
Old
Thanks Meter 4,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider0001 View Post
BarryH_GEG everything looks nice when you write it down like that but i remember SGS did better multitasking then my new double ram HTC One X, on daily basis it kills everything when i9000 never killed my GG chatting app or music player - both just should be ON all the time i was using them thats only 2 apps to handle
I keep asking the question "what does it mean?" and everyone keeps replying "it shouldn't be this way." If a doctor says "thereís something wrong with your liver," there's a big difference between hepatitis A and stage 3 cancer. Other than the perceived loss of something you had how does the way that the One X handles multitasking affect what you do every day? And how often is it a problem?

I had a i9100 and in practical use I don't notice a difference. The exception being the browser that stupidly reloads itself every time it restarts but it does that regardless of whether launched from recent apps or directly from the app drawer or a shortcut.

And if this is true it doesn't really matter what a Desire, HD2, or SGS did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhulk View Post
The GS3 has the same multitasking "issue" as the One X. I have tested it. That's all the more reason why I don't expect HTC to fix it in an update. I believe it's how the manufacturers intend it to work, for better or worse.