Kogan Agora Tablet (TCC8803 based)

12th May 2012, 10:37 PM   |  #521  
Flag Brisbane
Thanks Meter: 2

19 posts
More
Thumbs up D703.v2.3.3-Build.20120206
Hi,

I also went the way of flipside101 and it did flash OK, once I figured out the instructions supplied were lacking a critical step.

If you find yourself attempting this remember to add the m801_mtds to the flash process.

I will update with results once I have a play.

I can report thought that for me it is an enormous success. I can play angry birds and movies!
The purpose of this TAB is for my 4 year old son's travelling companion on long trips/flights.
It is essential to play low res movies and play angry birds or similar.

Tablet was 7" Kogan Agora (4GB) for $99.
Model KATBL07AND
Android version was 2.3.3
Kernel was 2.6.35.7

now it thinks it is M778 Tablet PC
14th May 2012, 09:10 AM   |  #522  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 251

344 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliddder

1. I have read the install instructions over from the DX site, do I need the VTC USB driver installed as per step one? I am guessing yes but just wanted to confirm it.

not sure android sdk may do this if you have it but i installed anyway
Quote:

2. At about the end of page 5 it says vaguely to load the rom at this stage, I am guessing this is just adding the file, along with the other files that have been added/created at this stage, within the the firmware update util?

yes add m801_mtds to the flash, you'll need to click dropdown box for all file types...
Quote:

3. I have CWM4 installed at present from androtab, given this process is flashing and partitioning the whole device I guess this will wipe the lot. Can CWM5 from androtab.info be put back on? I wasn't sure if it was specific to the device and the OS running or not.

cwm5 from start of this or one of other threads flashes fine them use cwm to flash su
Quote:

4. I see sam.crowther mentions changing part of the configuration to ensure the device still knows its a Kogan for Android Market/Play but having no previous Android OS experience I am wondering if the change in build.prob was after the system was installed and just edited or if it is something that needed changed in the .rom?

changed on the rom, not too big of an issue, you just end up with lots of devices in market that you dont have/use...
The Following User Says Thank You to sam.crowther For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th May 2012, 12:38 AM   |  #523  
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
Went ahead and flashed my Kogan.

Took a little more than 10 minutes for me but back up and running with new firmware/CWM5 and super user installed.

Didn't attempt the change of device name so it thinks it is a M778 but at least it is all working so far.

Have had it sitting next to me in standby for the last 30 minutes and no screen flashes or odd power ups. Looks like the font sizes are slightly smaller by default which for my old man eyes is making me strain a bit.

Other wise pretty painless with my only minor gripe being the new boot logo looking even worse than the Kogan one.

Cheers for all the advice.
15th May 2012, 09:30 AM   |  #524  
Flag Melbourne

344 posts
More
change lcd density to 200 this was the setting in stock rom currently its set at 160.

either edit build.prop manually or search lcd density in market. plenty of free apps will do it all for you..
15th May 2012, 06:47 PM   |  #525  
Thanks Meter: 49

372 posts
More
Hi all , good to know the roms helped some people its made my tab much more usefull and thanks to sam for doing the proper explaining and helping with that dx rom.

@slidder yeah the logo is horrible buyt it should be easy enough to change , ill have a play when i get a few secs spare
15th May 2012, 08:36 PM   |  #526  

4 posts
Might have spoken to soon. My screen auto rotation does not appear to be working. It is ticked in display. Again this is only a minor thing as I tend to use my tablet in landscape but it might be worth looking out for.

Any thoughts on why it might not want to auto rotate?

Edit: Forgot to mention that I left my device on while I was at work, 8 hours later it still has half a battery so what ever was done to fix the screen issues looks to have extended the battery a lot
Last edited by sliddder; 15th May 2012 at 09:01 PM. Reason: because I forgot
16th May 2012, 11:54 AM   |  #527  
Flag Melbourne

344 posts
More
Not rotating in all apps or just in the launcher?
Could be the stock launchers default setting can't remember as i installed titanium and restored adw launcher ex among other things before I even played around...

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
17th May 2012, 08:53 PM   |  #528  
Thanks Meter: 2

3 posts
Hello

I would first off like to say thanks you To all on this thread you made my ****ty 8" Kogan Agora into a nice wee tablet.

Thanks you

Installed Pc drivers from 1st post.
Rooted with super 1 click
Spent 2 and installed lcd density pro and used its Google play fix feature.
Using Es file manager deleted the phone APKs (still wakes, I solved this by using a toggle widget for flight mode, fling it into flightmode every time i whack the screen off)
Installed Go launcher and changed the theme, look etc.

All in all a nice wee tablet

Cheers again to all and to the main folks that have helped , many thanks.

Robb

ps - Kogans official support is completely pash !!

**** NOt solved still wakes but less frequent ! .lol
Last edited by robbwallace; 17th May 2012 at 09:01 PM. Reason: corrected information
The Following User Says Thank You to robbwallace For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th May 2012, 05:00 PM   |  #529  

4 posts
Rotation solved. Not sure if it is because I had it on USB for a bit or the multiple restarts I have done lately but screen is correctly rotating.

Cheers again for all the help, amazing what a difference it makes to the device.
19th May 2012, 01:02 AM   |  #530  
Flag Cardiff
Thanks Meter: 61

311 posts
More
Can any1 confirm if this works on the 8" kogan?

Iv searched but not found anything.

Thanks.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread