Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,001 Members 39,959 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Offline GPS Solution for Android? (no data plan needed, just like Windows Mobile GPS)

Tip us?

mileruma
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default co-pilot

One of the best software to use offline on the phone or tablet. it cost little more but this is one safe software even for trucking industry. it will use internal gps from your phone. I used this soft. on nexus s.

drizzy77
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Thumbs up Offline Android GPS List - No Internet Required

There are many offline Android GPS apps. Here are some of the better ones:

*CoPilot
NavDroid
*MapDroyd
IGoMyWay
Locus
*Sygic
Orux
*TomTom
*Navigon
*NDrive
Navitel
*NavFree
TravelDroyd
Navit

* Seem to be the highest rated, but YMMV.

You can also download Google Maps for any area and use them offline, but you won't get vocal navigation or online directions, just GPS-sync'ed maps, like a paper map.

Many of these apps are FREE, and some are very inexpensive. No need to spend a lot of money.

The OSM Project (open street map) provides free maps that are used on a wide range of Android apps (openstreetmap dot org)

Before you commit to any app, always download a demo and use it for a few days.
The Following User Says Thank You to drizzy77 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

_A.T.Omix_
Old
Thanks Meter 19
According to Google Maps official blog, GMaps is getting an overhaul in the next few days which will improve offline navigation.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA

terrymc
Old
Thanks Meter 2

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by crobs808 View Post
*sigh*, I also tried iGo My Way v8.4.x with Texas maps, and when I start it up it says something to the extent of 'could not find application database', then just closes...

This is getting kinda expensive, now that I have bought iGo maps and CoPilot 8...is there really NOBODY that is trying to use GPS without data (i.e. like we have for years on WinMo? Seems silly to have to pay for a data plan to get GPS working, since it is a satnav chip). Just wondering if I am the only one who finds this unacceptable.

Thanks,
I agree with you, if a tom tom can run gps without data, then why can't you use it on phone without using data, just another way to use your data up, when you could use it for something else. Isn't it almost like ILLEGAL to charge for something that is FREE?
Samsung Galaxy S 3 At&t stock so far!!!!

crobs808
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrymc View Post

I agree with you, if a tom tom can run gps without data, then why can't you use it on phone without using data, just another way to use your data up, when you could use it for something else. Isn't it almost like ILLEGAL to charge for something that is FREE?
Ha. Tell that to Aquafina.

Purist (less is more) | VZW SGS3 | CM 10.1 | Android Virtualization