Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,530 Members 42,434 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Verizon Ending Unlimited Data when you try to Renew Grandfathered Data Plan

Tip us?

jonathanphx1
Old
(Last edited by jonathanphx1; 16th May 2012 at 10:44 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 971

DONATE TO ME
Default Verizon Ending Unlimited Data when you try to Renew Grandfathered Data Plan

Read it and weep...

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/05...summer-onward/

Current Phone: Verizon Galaxy SIII 32gig-Blue Rooted/Unlocked Running CleanRom Seven with My DarkHorse Rises v3.3

My Dark Horse Verizon Galaxy SIII Theme: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2365611

Dork6243
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Verizon can kiss my yam bag.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA

donnyp1
Old
Thanks Meter 493
Doesnt matter to me, i only tether when necessary. Most the time at my house my phone goes on my wifi. This probably has something to do with those who abuse tethering by using lte for all their stuff. If you want to complain, thats where i would start, not verizon.

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA

watt9493
Old
Thanks Meter 371
Simple mobile or red pocket here I come

Sent from my ADR6400L

Galaxy s4
Inc

flooritnfly
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Question So pissed.

First off: !!!!

OK, there has GOT to be some sort of way around this, or at least a way to delay this from happening to one's self for a bit....

A) What about going out now and purchasing a new LTE device at full retail ahead of your upgrade date (mine is this November)? Will that grant me an extra 2 yrs of unlimited data before I am forced off?

B) And what's this I hear about buying phones directly thru the Play Store and going month-to-month with Vzw? I was hearing you will soon be able to do this and retain unlimited data this way?

There's gotta be a way....I will NOT go to shi**y At&t or Sprint or TMobile......
Rooted Samsung Galaxy SIII on VZW

donnyp1
Old
Thanks Meter 493
How many people really use 4 gigs a month? Thats what i have cox hispeed at home for. I know between cox, vzw, and sirius for car and phone, its expensive, but i have everything i need whenever and wherever i need. I know this sucks for those who abuse it, but shouldnt all around network quality be better if it is limited? Ive been unlimited since the alltel days, im not happy, but the only time i tether is once a week when at my hotel, just to have a secure connection. I can shop around next time, but as much as i travel and work in the sticks, verizon is my best option.

disconnecktie
Old
Thanks Meter 1,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyp1 View Post
How many people really use 4 gigs a month? Thats what i have cox hispeed at home for. I know between cox, vzw, and sirius for car and phone, its expensive, but i have everything i need whenever and wherever i need. I know this sucks for those who abuse it, but shouldnt all around network quality be better if it is limited? Ive been unlimited since the alltel days, im not happy, but the only time i tether is once a week when at my hotel, just to have a secure connection. I can shop around next time, but as much as i travel and work in the sticks, verizon is my best option.

Some of us like myself don't have the luxury of high speed internet at home. I use a lot data because my phone is my internet connection. I don't use most of my data on 4G though because I only get it at my house and I disable it when I'm working because I'm at locations that dont have it so it eats my battery up. They won't keep it like this forever anyway. I remember when 3g came out and they charged people for data pretty much until the whole network was 3g and then by allowed it to be unlimited. Anyhow I don't really see Verizon keeping this up forever. I bet they will lose a lot of customers over this move. If they won't renew my unlimited plan I'm gone.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

donnyp1
Old
Thanks Meter 493
But the phone as the internet connection is the problem. Thats not what it was meant for. People playing ps3 or xbox, streaming netflix, torrent downloads. Everyone who is abusing it is why its making them go this route. There is free wifi almost everywhere. People can sign up for home internet service. If your a college student, the activity center will have wifi. I hate paying $54 a month for internet at my home, but i also get up to 50 meg dl, i run all laptops, printers, and all cell phones connect as soon as its in range. If people want to leave for a more crappy network to abuse, let them. The tethering is a big reason phones are getting harder to unlock. The only unlimited in our area is sprint, but they suck outside of big cities. If forcing limits on everyone makes the network better, ill adjust to it, as i always have.

flooritnfly
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Unfortunately I have to tether for work, and also do it at home because my apt's internet selections are wayyyy too much money for the crappy speed. I am sitting at 24gbs right now for this billing cycle, and it resets on the 18th....so I am not ready to pay $220 worth of overages.....outrageous
Rooted Samsung Galaxy SIII on VZW

donnyp1
Old
Thanks Meter 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by flooritnfly View Post
Unfortunately I have to tether for work, and also do it at home because my apt's internet selections are wayyyy too much money for the crappy speed. I am sitting at 24gbs right now for this billing cycle, and it resets on the 18th....so I am not ready to pay $220 worth of overages.....outrageous
The work is one thing, i mean how much can u use. Ive tethered at eork to upload documents and med supp apps. Its the people using it for homes that are the problem. Not what it was meant for and i dont blame vzw. Wanna play, gotta pay.