5,597,762 Members 36,520 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] TF101 _STILL_ rebooting after downgrading to honeycomb!

Tip us?

xbs
Old
Thanks Meter 139
Don't blame ICS my nexus s works flawless with 4.0.4

oldcpu
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Default Users with ICS and the Nexus are experiencing random reboots

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbs View Post
Don't blame ICS my nexus s works flawless with 4.0.4
Glad to read you have no problems with ICS on your Nexus.

Unfortunately, others can NOT claim the same: http://greenpower.pouzerate.com/inde...-random-reboot ... which has posts by users, with the Nexus and ICS, experiencing random reboots

cspiby
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
Glad to read you have no problems with ICS on your Nexus.

Unfortunately, others can NOT claim the same: http://greenpower.pouzerate.com/inde...-random-reboot ... which has posts by users, with the Nexus and ICS, experiencing random reboots
The thread you link to is about a 3rd party app causing instability, how does that prove anything?

ICS is not inherently unstable, ASUS implementation of it however, is.

oldcpu
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Default IMHO the problem is MOSTLY upstream ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspiby View Post
The thread you link to is about a 3rd party app causing instability, how does that prove anything?

ICS is not inherently unstable, ASUS implementation of it however, is.
The internet is full of reports of Samsung users with ICS which is unstable. Some are seeing reboots. Some are not. Another example http://greenpower.pouzerate.com/inde...mit=6&start=12

I could surf and post on and on and on and on and on and on and on .... ad infinitum.

But whats the point ? You and others refuse to believe.

The point is there is a core of dissatisfied Asus Transformer users, who are experiencing a high frequency of reboots, and they are blind to the fact that this is an ICS wide problem ...

Believe it or not , some of us with the Asus Transformer do not have the reboot issue. I can ONLY reproduce it with great difficulty. That suggests to me that the same is true for many non-Asus ICS users. They either do not have the reboot problem or they can only reproduce it with great difficulty (like myself with the Transformer). But I believe the ICS problem is there.

Don't believe me on this. Surf a LOT on this issue and come to your own conclusion.

---------- Post added at 01:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 PM ----------

The number of threads on Samsung, and Nexus, and Xoom reboot problems is massive, far too many for me to repost them all. There are threads such as this with the headline: " Rumour: Android 4.0.5 coming in April, bringing reboot fixes to Galaxy Nexus and ICS to Nexus S " and it contains speculation that Android-4.0.5 will fix their reboot problems.
http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/03/28/ru...cs-to-nexus-s/

Why speculate on 4.0.5 being necessary if 4.0.4 does not have reboot problems? IMHO the reason is 4.0.4 does have reboot problems for an assortment of ICS hardware devices.

I'm not anti-ICS. I like my Transformer. I like ICS. I am happy I updated my TF101 to ICS. I do NOT have the reboot problems most users have. But I do recognize the reboot problems exist, I recognize it is incredibly annoying for a number of Asus Transformer users, and I also recognize that the reboot problems are NOT confined to the Asus Transformer, but they impact a number of ICS users with different hardware.

EricBuist
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBuist View Post
Ok, if the problem is upstream, then I guess I just did the wrong choice with Android. This is a bit frustrating, because nowadays, I always do the wrong choice when purchasing an item. There are so many variables to consider that there are just too many possibilities for a mistake, and no one in my neighberhood is interested in such items, so I am alone trying on the bleeding edge and stuck with problems only few people can understand fully.

By the way, I found a wonderful overview of TF101 rooting+unlocking+troubleshooting on http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1494230.

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------

I myself tried NVFlash, since I have a B60, but I just cannot get a compatible ROM for it. Download sites for these ROMs are VERY slow unless I subscribe to Premium membership and I would like to avoid starting paying 20$ per month just to get a single file. I know unsubscription after the download is likely to be a hard task.
I thus fell back to CWM that I got working yesterday, and found I can wipe data and cache separately. I thus tried to wipe cache and davlik cache, then rebooted. I'll see if it helps. The bootloop is less frequent since I disabled animated background, removed all widgets from my homescreens, toggled the checkbox to disable networking while in sleep mode and finally disabled notifications altogether. If no bootloop happens anymore, I will try progressively reactivating some functionalities. Otherwise, I will try a reflash after a full wipe, then the downgrade (with another full wipe).
Unfortunately, resettting Dalvik cache did not do the trick: my tablet was persisting in rebooting. I finally got pissed off, near the point of banging the thing over a wall of brick, and then gave up on ICS. However, I could simply not get my hands over a stock HC ROM!!! I looked from Asus site: nada. Other Google sites gave me broken links, often to ROMs of incorrect SKU. The trick that finally worked was a NVFlash ROM I found at here (I hope it won't be broken for someone who click on it...). Lesson learned: I will archive the ROMs of my mobile devices.

I will enjoy my "new" HC device some time, and possibly try something else. I was not convinced by the bootloader theory until I thought about microcode updating. The ICS bootloader may well upload some microcode to soft-update the firmware of some chips on the tablet. So I will eventually try to root my HC tablet, reinstall CWM and flash a Revolver ICS on top of that. Now that I know I have a safe return path to HC, I can try pretty much anything! I will also run CWM and Titanium backups to avoid the need for reconfiguring my device upon returns to HC.

By the way, is anyone aware of a procedure to make a dual boot configuration? It would be very nice to be able to try out some ICS-based ROM while keeping at any time the possibility to reboot into HC. If ICS becomes stable for my device, then it would be the reference ROM, and I could dual boot into custom ROMs as I see fit.

I admit that this is very problematic for users of >B70 tablets for which NVFlash is not an option. I hope Asus or Google will come up with a definitive fix for this or at least an official downgrade path. I just hope Asus does not assume that RMA is the official "downgrade" path... That would be quite bad.

seeding11
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Sorry if I am repeating myself but I've just said the same thing on the Official Asus thread and thought it would be more appropriate to mention it here. I was saying that an NVflash had restored my TF to the exact state that it used to be... not as perfect as I had thought I remembered that it was. I did a clean install of all apps from the market and I had no TB data to restore.

On HC (prior to being rooted), I had the odd RR, woke up to a flat battery several times prior to discovering the autoairplane workaround, but the most annoying of all, it would was freeze completely while I was using it requiring me to reboot it manually (although I always suspected that it was app related). It was exactly the same after going back via NVflash. I am back using ICS because I prefer to deal with a RR during sleep every couple of days than a freeze while I am in the middle of something.

I'm wondering if everyone else who went down this road did actually end up with a much more stable TF, or whether there is/was a degree of stability and performance in HC, just as there is with ICS?
Asus TF101 (B40)
AOKP Milestone 6

Samsung Galaxy S3
Completely stock (for now)

HTC Desire, recently retired, will live its final days/months/years with the LeeDrOiD HD port and a new (non-rooting) owner.

Total noob but loving my new "hobby" (ie. slight obsession) So much to learn around here!

septijo
Old
(Last edited by septijo; 17th May 2012 at 12:28 PM.)
Thanks Meter 5
after update to 9.2.2.3, experience SOD and RR, i revert it back to HC with no luck.

already tried everything : nvFlash to HC (i try all version i can found : 8.6.5.13, 8.6.5.21, then 8.4.4.11), try Revolver 4rc2, Prime 2.11, Prime 1.4 and Prime 1.6r2 .. all with no luck !!! people said nvFlash will do the trick.. none on mine !!

I even try Team EOS Nightly build 33 (it is ICS 4.0.4) .. still no luck.. once every some minutes, logo "Team OS" trembling and waving in my TF101's creen .. (reboot)

Then.. i try Revolver 3.11.1 ... still no luck...

before give up TF101 (i was think that it is related to permanent hardware damage !!!)... i installed

WAKELOCK .... !!! HORAAAAAYYYYYYYYY.... i use option no 1 : Screen off, cpu on

TF101 is healthy. standby for 3 hours with only 1% less battery.

Stop waste your time, back to HC (nvFlash is preffered), download WakeLock from market / playstore, sit back and relax.

n.b. mine is B60 (SBK1) it is practically unbrickable by nvFlash, so i can try lots of version. if you dont have SBK1, DO NOT do as i did, just back to HC very cautiously and install WakeLock. mission accomplished.

jtrosky
Old
Thanks Meter 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by septijo View Post
after update to 9.2.2.3, experience SOD and RR, i revert it back to HC with no luck.

already tried everything : nvFlash to HC (i try all version i can found : 8.6.5.13, 8.6.5.21, then 8.4.4.11), try Revolver 4rc2, Prime 2.11, Prime 1.4 and Prime 1.6r2 .. all with no luck !!! people said nvFlash will do the trick.. none on mine !!

I even try Team EOS Nightly build 33 (it is ICS 4.0.4) .. still no luck.. once every some minutes, logo "Team OS" trembling and waving in my TF101's creen .. (reboot)

Then.. i try Revolver 3.11.1 ... still no luck...

before give up TF101 (i was think that it is related to permanent hardware damage !!!)... i installed

WAKELOCK .... !!! HORAAAAAYYYYYYYYY.... i use option no 1 : Screen off, cpu on

TF101 is healthy. standby for 3 hours with only 1% less battery.

Stop waste your time, back to HC (nvFlash is preffered), download WakeLock from market / playstore, sit back and relax.

n.b. mine is B60 (SBK1) it is practically unbrickable by nvFlash, so i can try lots of version. if you dont have SBK1, DO NOT do as i did, just back to HC very cautiously and install WakeLock. mission accomplished.
I'm sorry, but I REFUSE to accept "wakelock" as a "solution". Personally, when I NVFlash'd back to Honeycomb, my RR/SOD issues went away (as it has for others) - maybe there truly is a hardware issue at work here? Not sure, but I do know that disabling deep sleep is certainly not the "solution" that I am looking for!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2