MultiROM Once Again Available for the Galaxy S4

Multiboot, or the ability to select betweenmultiple operating systems on a single device at … more

Build an Impractical But Awesome Lego Mindstorm Dock

The vast majority of what we cover here on the XDA-Developers News Portal relates to … more

MultiROM Makes its Way Over to the HTC One (M8)

While browsing our forum, you will undoubtedly find more than a few enticing ROMs available … more

Welcome to the New XDA-Developers Portal!

You may recall that a few weeks ago, we opened up the XDA-2015 forum themesto intrepid users … more

[Q] tethering and my htc and att?

17th May 2012, 10:18 PM   |  #31  
Thanks Meter: 0

141 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by struff

I always presume that we know more than they do. But knowing how much they're cracking down on this, I wouldn't put it past the company to come up with some flawed method of detecting connections.

I have always used tons of data ever since I got my Inspire in March 2011 (as well as a warranty replacement I got in June 2011) and I never got anything about tethering from them before this week. I never even got a throttle txt msg until two months ago (even though I kept going over and around the end of last year I hit 10GB and was never notified or throttled). The rep I saw in the store and the rep I talked to on the phone this week both told me that just because I am an extra high data user, that alone would not trigger the anti-tethering messages (which is the way it should be but who knows what they're actually doing in reality).

Not to get too off-topic but I have been still trying to figure out why I use so much data. I found My Data Manager app and have been using it to look at where I am using so much. If the app is accurate, the phone itself uses a BOATLOAD of data all by itself. The biggest offender is "DCS Service" which has used 296 MB in the past five days. Google Voice has used 16 MB and the preinstalled Facebook app (which I don't even open or use because I prefer the website instead) has used 15 MB.

Everything else so far isn't a big deal aside from the common sense things like Pandora and Google Music which not only use their own amounts of data but also use the identical extra amount of data as "Streaming Media" (in other words if I use 55 MB of Pandora, it also uses 55 MB of Streaming Media, which seems like double-dipping to me). I also didn't realize that I am averaging about 10 MB per day in web surfing and 5-7 MB per day in Gmail and almost 100 MB per day on Instagram (yikes! that is stopping soon for sure).

But anyway, getting back towards the original point, if they're simply saying that someone is tethering just because of high amounts of data being used, that's really not fair considering the things that can't be stopped on some phones. I mean, we buy these phones which have bloatware to begin with and the bloatware uses data without our knowledge, plus that behind-the-scenes data use for DCS Service. That alone could turn out to be 1800 MB this month for my phone even though the only auto-sync items I have selected are the built-in weather updates and Gmail and Calendar and Contacts (I don't use any of the others). So I can't even begin to imagine how much data I would use if I did indeed try to tether.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread