Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,156 Members 46,830 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Android/Google admits to the eMMC bug

Tip us?

sol_671
Old
(Last edited by sol_671; 19th May 2012 at 01:43 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 73
Default Android/Google admits to the eMMC bug

It's an article that I came across.

http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...d-ics-kernels/

If this article has been posted, sorry, Mods could delete this.
Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sol_671 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Wizard Knight
Old
Thanks Meter 254
Its a non issue in my opinion. If you flash leaks, you know the chances. I flash the leaks and know o could end up with an epic doorstop. Long as its fixed when the official ota comes, it's cool

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

scarmon25
Old
Thanks Meter 2174

DONATE TO ME
Nice article. Very informative. I personally never flash anything while on ICS. But based on that article that might not even be enough. It also gives us an idea that until Samsung/Google has fixed the issue we won'tbe sseeing an OTA updates. At least I would hope they wouldn't OTA an update that is going to brick a **** ton if devices.

I was victim of the superbrick towards the beginning. Whatever it did it really messed that thing up. If JTag can't repair it then it's hosed. Thanks for sharing.
This poor device has seen more flashes then a college kid at Mardi Gras jflteusc

blackroseMD1
Old
Thanks Meter 418
It's faulty firmware from Samsung. Like was said above, until it's fixed, we likely won't see an OTA, and should never flash anything from ICS recovery.

Unlike Wizard Knight, I do see it as an issue, because it's faulty code from Samsung. People are not going to pay attention, or not read the full OP in an ICS thread and brick their phone. The fault here lies on both the person that flashed and on Sammy for their crappy code.

On the other hand, the kernel that Sbrissen is building from international GSII source is confirmed to have this code issue fixed, so we may not have to wait on Sammy to drop source to be able to use recovery again.
Samsung Moment>HTC Evo 4G>HTC Evo 3D>Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch>HTC Evo 4G LTE>AT&T Samsung Galaxy S III>HTC One/Samsung Galaxy Note 3>HTC One (M8)

Nexus 7>Nexus 7 (2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to blackroseMD1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

HaiKaiDo
Old
Thanks Meter 448

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackroseMD1 View Post
It's faulty firmware from Samsung. Like was said above, until it's fixed, we likely won't see an OTA, and should never flash anything from ICS recovery.

Unlike Wizard Knight, I do see it as an issue, because it's faulty code from Samsung. People are not going to pay attention, or not read the full OP in an ICS thread and brick their phone. The fault here lies on both the person that flashed and on Sammy for their crappy code.

On the other hand, the kernel that Sbrissen is building from international GSII source is confirmed to have this code issue fixed, so we may not have to wait on Sammy to drop source to be able to use recovery again.

Yep Sbrissen and entropy got this fixed. Ive used his 3.0 Kernel and flashed about a billion times to test it lol. Its awesome and brick proof :] I just hope people wait for sbrissens 3.0 to be finished before they starting "borrowing" from it and calling it their own -_-.

-----> Check Out My Custom Made USB Jig! <-----
If youre a Developer here on XDA and youd like an IRC Channel for your users or a private IRC channel for development just shoot me a pm!

garwynn
Old
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 7400

DONATE TO ME
Your post is a little misleading at best. This just a rehash of the conversation in two threads, including one in this forum:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1644364

Let's avoid hype on this, OK?

HaiKaiDo
Old
Thanks Meter 448

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by garwynn View Post
Your post is a little misleading at best. This just a rehash of the conversation in two threads, including one in this forum:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1644364

Let's avoid hype on this, OK?
Avoid hype? This is very interesting. Ive been very very curious as to what was at the root of this since I was around for the first night of ICS leaks and a brick. Hype or not, its wonderful to see that information is being passed around and this is being worked on. Feels like a wonderful thing for the E4GT users.

If youre a Developer here on XDA and youd like an IRC Channel for your users or a private IRC channel for development just shoot me a pm!

garwynn
Old
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 7400

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaiKaiDo View Post
Avoid hype? This is very interesting. Ive been very very curious as to what was at the root of this since I was around for the first night of ICS leaks and a brick. Hype or not, its wonderful to see that information is being passed around and this is being worked on. Feels like a wonderful thing for the E4GT users.
My concern is that the information given to us is a big deal... It can easily be thought that someone either was negligent or worse by not addressing this sooner. I would rather see this through and hope the fix comes out soon... And hopefully without a blame game; otherwise people like Mr. Sumrall might not be willing to respond to future inquiries.

Hope that clears up why I mentioned hype.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA
Contact: Twitter || Google+/Hangouts (Non-Moderator issues only please)
Useful Links: Forum Moderator List || Forum Rules

Please continue to thank and support those who bring these great things to our devices!
(That includes RTs, RCs, RDs/SRDs, FMs/SFMs and the people who maintain the site.)

HaiKaiDo
Old
Thanks Meter 448

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by garwynn View Post
My concern is that the information given to us is a big deal... It can easily be thought that someone either was negligent or worse by not addressing this sooner. I would rather see this through and hope the fix comes out soon... And hopefully without a blame game; otherwise people like Mr. Sumrall might not be willing to respond to future inquiries.

Hope that clears up why I mentioned hype.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA
Ahh yeah I got ya. I agree, I would much much rather see a fix and the knowledge that comes with it than seeing people get upset. I for one am happy to see things progressing and have no wish to blame anyone for anything. Even though it was a serious issue, we all take the risk of flashing things that are unknown upon ourselves.

LudoGris
Old
Thanks Meter 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackroseMD1 View Post
The fault here lies on both the person that flashed and on Sammy for their crappy code.
You're kidding me, right? Fault of Samsung? We are flashing ROMs that are for internal purposes only. They could introduce an unknown android virus or brick code just to test the response time of their workers, and if we flash it then it is soley our fault. I won't fault Samsung or any other company for our crazy obsessions or need to be on the cutting edge, download their internal projects, and put them on our fully functional devices before they have said to do so.

Now if they release it as official and it bricks the device it is exactly the opposite and 100% their fault, not the flasher.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LudoGris For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]