5,600,571 Members 33,381 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

My issue with the 10-post rule

Tip us?

shaunblyde
Old
(Last edited by shaunblyde; 20th May 2012 at 03:36 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default My issue with the 10-post rule

Hi all,

This will probably get deleted, but I'm just trying to contribute to discussion and get around what I consider a poor thought-out rule at the same time.

I am a long time reader, particularly of the [ROM] ICS 4.0.4 BCM RC3.4U0 GSM/CDMA <2012-05-19> (Bravo CM9 HWA) thread, but first time poster.

I consider myself to know more about the topic than a large number of the posters in that thread, though I certainly don't have knowledge on the subject anywhere near that than the experts in the thread. However, there have been many times when I have had the answer to someone's question, but have not been able to post.

The reason I cannot post is because the thread is limited to users who have made 10 or more posts. I can understand the need to filter out people who are asking the same question over and over again, but in doing so you filter out those who can genuinely contribute to the discussion. Just because I am not an active member in other forums of XDA, does not mean I am not able contribute to this thread.

So now, I have what I consider a reasonable question for the author of the thread, or another expert who may come across it. This question hasn't been asked before, and it bothers me that I cannot ask it. Other people may also benefit from me asking and receiving an answer to this question.

I thought about just creating 10 pointless posts in the general forum, but decided that would benefit no one. So here is my contribution to these forums, followed my 9 pointless posts. Kidding, I'll see whether I get responses to this and respond accordingly myself.

Thanks for reading.

Regards,
Shaun

P.S. I have to wait 5 minutes between editing posts as a new user to prevent spam? I've been here 5 months and not once posted anything, let alone spam.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shaunblyde For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mikef
Old
(Last edited by mikef; 20th May 2012 at 03:41 AM.)
Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 4629
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunblyde View Post
Hi all,

This will no doubt get deleted, but I'm just trying to contribute to discussion and get around what I consider a poor thought-out rule at the same time.

I am a long time reader, particularly of the [ROM] ICS 4.0.4 BCM RC3.4U0 GSM/CDMA <2012-05-19> (Bravo CM9 HWA) thread, but first time poster.

I consider myself to know more about the topic than a large number of the posters in that thread, though I certainly don't have knowledge on the subject anywhere near that than the experts in the thread. However, there have been many times when I have had the answer to someone's question, but have not been able to post.

The reason I cannot post is because the thread is limited to users who have made 10 or more posts. I can understand the need to filter out people who are asking the same question over and over again, but in doing so you filter out those who can genuinely contribute to the discussion. Just because I am not an active member in other forums of XDA, does not mean I am not able contribute to this thread.

So now, I have what I consider a reasonable question for the author of the thread, or another expert who may come across it. This question hasn't been asked before, and it bothers me that I cannot ask it. Other people may also benefit from me asking and receiving an answer to this question.

I thought about just creating 10 pointless posts in the general forum, but decided that would benefit no one. So here is my contribution to these forums, followed my 9 pointless posts. Kidding, I'll see whether I get responses to this and respond accordingly myself

Thanks for reading.

Regards,
Shaun

P.S. I have to wait 5 minutes between editing posts as a new user to prevent spam? I've been here 5 months and not once posted anything, let alone spam.
If you know more about that topic, then you could have been sharing it all those months, by just making a few posts in your device's General thread. Or in it's Q&A thread. Or in a thread in the General Forum here. Or in the Off Topic forum. Pity.

Here is excellent advice on how to achieve 10 (and more) QUALITY posts.

Welcome to XDA.

One other thing, Dev threads are for development. If you want to help more people, start a thread like this one in your device Q&A area. You will be amazed at how many people you can help there.
Donate to XDA! -- Please read and follow the XDA Rules -- Please

Useful Guides: XDA New User Guide - XDA Visual User Guide - Getting Moderator Help ----
How To Logcat - How to apply to become a Recognized Contributor/Themer on XDA ----------------------------
Please read all the stickied guides in your device's forums -----------------------------------------------------------------
Click here if you want to find out how to get to 10 posts --------------Remember...Hold Your Fire!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikef For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

shaunblyde
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Thanks for your response, the link you gave was interesting and I should have looked for such information prior to posting. Considering I was quite blunt, I appreciate your helpful explanation.

Personally I still feel the rule is limiting many people from contributing from discussion that would otherwise get involved. I know there aren't exactly any other solutions to reduce the number of repeat questions, but my opinion is that more discussion is better than less, provided it is on-topic (even if it may be a "stupid" question).

I'll admit I'm not here explicitly to share my knowledge, I am here to gain knowledge for myself. I think most users here would be the same, although obviously there is a great community here that are not just in it for themselves. But if I see someone struggling with something that I know the answer to, I would be pleased to have the opportunity to give them a hand and give back in that manner, rather than lurk in silence.

I also do not consider myself an expert in any area XDA relates to. However having read the entire thread, referenced in the first post, over the months it has been contributed to, I consider myself able to help out there more than anywhere else on XDA. The Q&A type thread you mentioned is not specific to the knowledge I have gained from following the thread and it seems to more sensible to me to give my knowledge back to people where they will be looking for it.

As an aside, I'm not sure how much I would even consider the thread a development thread. For the most part it is one person developing (combined with his using work from other developers etc). What he does is excellent, no doubt about that, but it is basically him alone developing. The thread itself is mainly substantiated of feedback to improve to ROM or questions on any issues or the like. It is not used for collaboration as such. Any additional discussion would not hinder development collaboration, rather it would allow for more feedback for the developer and more knowledge for users of the ROM.

Thanks again for your reponse mf2112.

To be honest, I'm not sure what I thought I may achieve by posting here, as I'm sure you've seen it all before. So that said, if you wish to finish the discussion here that's fine by me, but if you do have more to add, I'd be happy to hear it.

Thanks.

BandenX
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I'm just like you, struggling to get something more in this forum. Just never give up.
The Following User Says Thank You to BandenX For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mikef
Old
(Last edited by mikef; 20th May 2012 at 05:15 AM.)
Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 4629
The first few post restrictions are mostly for spam control. Otherwise new accounts would be opened and we would be flooded with spam posts advertising stuff in every forum.

Your device appears to be the HTC Desire from the ROM link. If you want to learn more, check out the other Desire subforums. Knowledge is everywhere on XDA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandenX View Post
I'm just like you, struggling to get something more in this forum. Just never give up.
Excellent advice.

Useful Guides: XDA New User Guide - XDA Visual User Guide - Getting Moderator Help ----
How To Logcat - How to apply to become a Recognized Contributor/Themer on XDA ----------------------------
Please read all the stickied guides in your device's forums -----------------------------------------------------------------
Click here if you want to find out how to get to 10 posts --------------Remember...Hold Your Fire!

chismay
Old
Thanks Meter 153
im not gonna lie i dont even know what the 10 post rule is?

yeah o course im thinking the obvious but im normally checking stuff before i do any actions anyway?
If I Have Helped You Please Click The Thanks Button

ASUS GOOGLE NEXUS 7 32GB
ACER ICONIA A500 ICS FLEXREAPER-EX V5.1
HTC HERO GSM CYANOGENMOD7
GOOGLE GALAXY NEXUS STOCK
MK808 4.2.2 ANDROID TV STICK
SAMSUNG GALAXY ACE THE MYTH ROM ICS V3
SAMSUNG GALAXY S I9003 TITANIUM ROM V3
SAMSUNG GALAXY S3 I9300 STOCK
SAMSUNG GALAXY MIN S8850 STOCK
ELONEX TAB 2.1(CRAP)
MISCROLL TAB 3.2(SLIGHTLY BETTER)

mikef
Old
Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 4629
Quote:
Originally Posted by chisme View Post
im not gonna lie i dont even know what the 10 post rule is?

yeah o course im thinking the obvious but im normally checking stuff before i do any actions anyway?
The 10 post rule is for dev forums. If you have less than 10 then it is supposed to stop you from posting there, however it seems not to be enforced sometimes in some dev threads.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using xda premium

kreecher
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Similar situation here, but the rule is pretty standard at a lot of forums. Nothing to do about it but try to make 10 productive posts. Here's my first one. I noticed that the introduction threads are in each device forum, so an intro for each device will put me pretty close.

I'm a huge fan of the XDA community, and like the OP, I've been reading different threads for months. Looking forward to learning with you guys and hopefully contributing eventually. My experience in the field is limited, I learned basic web development in the early 2000s and have barely kept those skills up in the last decade.

Rooted EVO 4G - off contract, used mostly by 4 year old
Wife has stock EVO 3D - had S-ON root but got it put back to stock for her
I have an unlocked and rooted Motorola Photon, running CW7
Asus Transformer running stock ICS
Samsung Galaxy 10.1" running stock HC
I'll be getting an EVO View in a few days, will update at that time.

mengfei
Old
Thanks Meter 388
i too am a long time member here in XDA, since i got the XDA II hmmmm or was it the casiopia

anyways i recently became active just this 2012 when i got my hands on the HD2 - what a magnificent phone & there are alot of magnificent devs & chef here in XDA.

just by asking a lot of "meaningful" question i got through the hurdles of flashing & upgrading & even made my own tutorial for the ultra noob's

whatever Rule or Restriction that is in placed now is for the good of the site & it's user after all this is a FREE Forum/ site & at the same time you get to learn from some of the greatest.

mengfei
Old
Thanks Meter 388
now this is something else lol
fastest way to reach 10 post in just a few hours ot minutes

test (thread 1 2)
Originally Posted By: anserinae

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1666667

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe