Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,247 Members 50,773 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

WhatsApp - Notification issues

Tip us?

Yze
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 54
Default WhatsApp - Notification issues

So I had a Note previously, WhatsApp worked perfectly fine.

I notice now that there are a lot of weird notification issues now. I ran some tests and this is what I've found.

Screen On - Clear all apps with Task Manager. Exit to home screen. Meaning, WhatsApp is not running in the background, not running at all. I use my girlfriends phone to send me 10 + messages. I get NO pushed messages, no notifications. Nothing happens. I then launch the app and see that I have 10+ unread messages under her name. I click to read the messages, and exit back to the home screen (either back arrow or home button). I send another message from her phone, and NOW I see the notifications.

Screen Off - (sleeping but app is still in the background) - I send a message from her phone, get NO push notification. But... as soon as I hit the power button to light up the screen (wake from sleep), I get the notification in the bar. I read the message, clear the notification bar.. then put the phone back to sleep. Same thing happens. While the screen is off, I get no push notifications until I turn on the screen.

Anyone having weird issues with WhatsApp? It can't be the app because it works perfectly normal on my Samsung Note. I'm thinking ICS broke it some how.

sonicrhythms
Old
Thanks Meter 0
The notifications works fine for me with whatsapp. The only thing is that when I hit clear in the notification bar and haven't read the actual message, the notification will reappear again.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

at004
Old
(Last edited by at004; 20th May 2012 at 11:42 PM.) Reason: SOLVED
Thanks Meter 3
Same thing here just happened with me on my HTC ONE S , if screen if off and whatsapp is running i get no notification, however as soon as i press the power button immediately i get notified and the weird thing is the notification sound is the default ringtone while in whatsapp settings i have another tone set. Whatsapp was working fine. I tried reinstalling, force stopping, rebooting.

My phone is stock rom no root any help would be appreciated

EDIT (SOLVED): Disable Fast Boot under power options in settings, disabling it fixed my problem (Read it somewhere online)
The Following User Says Thank You to at004 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Alcoholic
Old
Thanks Meter 74
I have problems with notifications when wifi is on. No problems w/out wifi

cavagnaro
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I have exact same issue on my Xperia Arc...with or without Wifi...I have ICS 4.0.3
I think it is phone independent issue...

nimrodsv
Old
Thanks Meter 155
i think you all should stop closing all apps from the task manager and everything would be fine.

you cant shut down all apps and then expect from them to work.

(at004 solution could help too)

Zendio
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Sorry to revive this thread, but I have a solution to the problem (I think) and I thought I might share it.

Some routers flag push messages as "Anonymous Internet Requests" which the NAT dismisses. This will effectively kill push and you'll only get your messages on the next sync.

To counter this problem you can forward the google push port to your phone.
You'll need a static IP for the phone. The port Google uses for push messages is 5228 on TCP.

Good luck with your problems!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zendio For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

daniLaLaLaLaLa
Old
Thanks Meter 117
ahh.. i got the notification problem.. there is no sound or vibrate for incoming whatsapp messages..
this happen affter i update the apps.. damn!
XPERIA P LT22i - HDC NOTE 3 SM-N9006 - ALLWINNER A13 F761L

currently in fixXPERIA ZL C6502

calanizzle
Old
Thanks Meter 169

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yze View Post
So I had a Note previously, WhatsApp worked perfectly fine.

I notice now that there are a lot of weird notification issues now. I ran some tests and this is what I've found.

Screen On - Clear all apps with Task Manager. Exit to home screen. Meaning, WhatsApp is not running in the background, not running at all. I use my girlfriends phone to send me 10 + messages. I get NO pushed messages, no notifications. Nothing happens. I then launch the app and see that I have 10+ unread messages under her name. I click to read the messages, and exit back to the home screen (either back arrow or home button). I send another message from her phone, and NOW I see the notifications.

Screen Off - (sleeping but app is still in the background) - I send a message from her phone, get NO push notification. But... as soon as I hit the power button to light up the screen (wake from sleep), I get the notification in the bar. I read the message, clear the notification bar.. then put the phone back to sleep. Same thing happens. While the screen is off, I get no push notifications until I turn on the screen.

Anyone having weird issues with WhatsApp? It can't be the app because it works perfectly normal on my Samsung Note. I'm thinking ICS broke it some how.
This happens on my brand new nexus 4
DEVICE 1: AT&T HTC One 32gb: Stock rooted with some framework mods
DEVICE 2: ASUS Nexus 7 (2013) 16gb: Stock rooted

GUAYAQUIL - ECUADOR

EliWay
Old
Thanks Meter 67
This used to happen way back when I first got my One X, but it is solved now. I thought it was because I had rooted and gone with a newer build, but I got a replacement One X stock with 2.20 and notifications work fine when screen is off.