[APP] ** [UPDATE 30 Oct. 2011: RC3] Total Commander for Android w. ROOT support

Search This thread

dialmformostyn

Jul 5, 2011
Top notch in terms of functionality, would be nice to see it with a clean Holo theme though.

---------- Post added at 10:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 AM ----------

Top notch in terms of functionality, would be nice to see it with a clean Holo theme though.

Reactions: LiskatFlow

hadi_rena

Sep 1, 2011
Bandung
Hi,

I just try and install TC for android. I have one question: How to edit /system/build.prop successfully ? Every time I tap to edit TC complaining that file can't be opened. I open it using context menu and choose totalcmd-editor but no result :confused: unable to save edited file

I already enable root functionality in menu > preferences, I'm using rooted ROM, Root Access is allowed and remembered, /system already in RW mode.

jr67

Nov 11, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Hi,

I just try and install TC for android. I have one question: How to edit /system/build.prop successfully ? Every time I tap to edit TC complaining that file can't be opened. I open it using context menu and choose totalcmd-editor but no result :confused: unable to save edited file

I already enable root functionality in menu > preferences, I'm using rooted ROM, Root Access is allowed and remembered, /system already in RW mode.

Did you change the write permissions for build.prop? Long press the file > properties > click the double arrow button next to the permissions > enable write across the board > apply. Then just open it as a text file.

Remember to change it back to the default -rw-r--r-- after saving it and making a backup before editing is a good idea.

Reactions: hadi_rena

hadi_rena

Sep 1, 2011
Bandung
Did you change the write permissions for build.prop? Long press the file > properties > click the double arrow button next to the permissions > enable write across the board > apply. Then just open it as a text file.

Remember to change it back to the default -rw-r--r-- after saving it and making a backup before editing is a good idea.

Hmm after changing the file permission then it's work :) But why I must change the file permission if I using Total Commander ? I try other similar app (Solid Explorer) and can edit the file even the file permission is -rw-r--r-- :confused:

LiskatFlow

Jan 5, 2013
Amsterdam
Can't live without Total Comander. It takes a little bit of time to get used to it but after that..... sweet! Especially with the ftp plugin and lan plugins also available at play.

I would like to see the icon updated and the UI modernised a bit, but it works! In the end that is what counts :)

Night on the web

Mar 10, 2012
Anyone who tried this app recently can post his/her impression about it? Is it stil a good app? How about using it on kit kat?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update 30/10/11: Total Commander (TC) for Android 1.0 RC3 - innovative File Manager with ROOT support!

Running on Smartphone and Tablet.

Total Commander for Android is an easy to use File Manager with lots of features including Root support on system partitions (f.e. /system).

Former Windows Mobile users (like me) may remember the very handy Total Commander CE. And many Windows Desktop users swear on Total Commander as a great Windows Explorer replacement - all created and published by Christian Ghisler, so all credits to him.

Available for Android now! :D

Download: http://ghisler.com/tcandroid.apk

totalcommander1.png

Info (more see: http://www.ghisler.com/android.htm):
    "

Requirements:

• A smartphone or tablet with Android 1.5 or later (tested up to Android 3.1)
    • The supported processors are: ARM, X86 (RAR unpacker only available in ARM version)
    • This program does NOT work on an iOS or Windows Phone device!
    Main features: (screenshots)

• Copy, Move whole subdirs
    • Inplace rename, create dirs
    • Delete (no recycle bin)
    • Zip and unzip, unrar
    • Properties dialog, change attributes
    • Built-in text editor
    • Search function (also for text)
    • Select/unselect groups of files
    • Select by tapping on file icons
    • List of installed Apps (built-in plugin)
    • FTP client (plugin)
    • WebDAV (Web folders) (plugin)
    • LAN access (plugin)
    • Root support for the main functions
    • Send files via Bluetooth (OBEX)
    • Thumbnails for pictures
    • Two panels side by side, or virtual two panel mode
    • Bookmarks as in Total Commander
    • Directory history through dropdown list
    • Configurable button bar for changing directories, internal commands, launching apps, and sending shell commands
    • Simple help function in English, German, Russian, Ukrainian and Czech
    • Supported languages of the main program: English, German, Czech, Danish, Dutch, French, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Korean, Polish, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese and Ukrainian
    Download: http://ghisler.com/tcandroid.apk

The history of changes can now be found here:
    http://ghisler.fileburst.com/android/history.txt

Best regards
    Christian Ghisler
    "
    For bugs, suggestions and of course Thanks :) : please post them also on Christian's site so he can look at them:
    http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewforum.php?f=22

I'm running Total Commander on my Samsung Galaxy S2 and HTC Desire (both with custom ROM's) and it works stable and fast and offers a nice, intuitive interface like swipe left/right to change the folder view and much more.

Try it out!
    Version 1.0 out:

http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=34479&sid=694b4b38e9894e81bfc74fc1a4486942

Still not on play store yet but at least it doesn't automatically expire.

Change log:

2012-05-18 Release v 1.0 final
    2012-05-18 Fixed: Position cursor on renamed file when renaming single file via context menu
    2012-05-15 Fixed: Use android:configChanges="locale" for all top level dialogs to avoid flickering on screen orientation changes when using a non-default locale
    2012-05-15 Added: Show hint about selecting files each time the user chooses a function without selecting anything
    2012-05-15 Added: New menu item "Totalcmd (file:)" which returns "file:" URL as in older TC versions, e.g. when attaching a file in GMail app
    2012-05-15 Fixed: Return "content:" URL instead of "file:" to GET_CONTENT intent. See: http://www.openintents.org/en/node/829
    2012-05-10 Fixed: Program flickering on Android 4 after rotating screen by 90° (only when language different from system was chosen)
    2012-05-08 Fixed: Crash trying to unbind service if the service was closed by Android
    2012-05-08 Fixed: Handle case where the background service is restarted -then the passed intent is null!
    Having been an avid TC user since 1998 I wasn't too excited about an Android version. Well, after trying the beta, I am more than happy for no other reason than it opens passworded zips created by 7zip.

I also accidently headed to the file system outside of the sdcard and my superuser root app asked me if TC could have root access, so that may end up being very handy for some. I'm thinking it should be disabled by default, however. :D
    New version available - RC1

Total Commander for Android 1.0 rc 1 (release candidate 1)
    Link for info
    Download link
    Hi,