Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,924 Members 45,454 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Can someone support the USB GPS

Tip us?

AngelOfGrief
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Hi, just a little followup on UsbGPS4Droid_alpha3.apk. I was not able to run it successfully until I enabled GPS functionality in build.prop. Or, one can just enter setprop gps.enable true from command prompt to make it work.

Thanks for the prog btw. Will try alpha4 now! Have you by any chance added 'start on boot' option?

herbert1
Old
Thanks Meter 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by liu2002 View Post
I have already use this app and this really worked and can find stars,but the only problem is should run the script I have posted in previous post.

su root
stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0 ispeed 4800

After the script you can use the app. I test it use the gps status and get many within 10s. And also use it to navigate in g-map. Though with this problem but I fell the usb-gps app is all I want to be.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA
Just a little question ? I guess we can use the GPS device for input and output, so why do you only change the input speed ?

netglitch
Old
(Last edited by netglitch; 28th March 2012 at 07:32 PM.) Reason: I accidentally a word
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbert1 View Post
Here is a quick and dirty adapted version of BlueGPS4droid in order to read NMEA data from a file/device.
Instead of giving the name of a bluetooth device you have to give the path of a file.
Don't know if it will work: since I don't have any usb Gps, I cannot test.
However it's working with plain files, so I hope it will also work with /dev/ttyUSB0.

You should be able to see on the logcat if it recognizes NMEA sentences or not.
If you can post a copy of the logcat it could be useful for me.

If it's working, I will put the code in a new repository (forked from BlueGps4Droid), clean the code, re-inject other languages and advanced functionalities we have inblueGPS4droid, etc.

How to use it :
0) plug the GPS usb device
1) allow GPS use, if possible (don't know if you can)
2) enable mock locations in "Settings/Applications/Development/Allow mock locations" (It's important !)
3) start UsbGps
4) choose a NMEA device (device path: ako /dev/ttyUSB0 - it has to be readable ! )
5) eventually activate "auto-enable location provider" in "location provider options" (useful if you cannot enable "Use GPS satellites" option (in step 1)
6) start the service using the start checkbox
7) look if something happens in the logcat...
I wish I could hit the Thank button for your post but I don't see one anywhere. Maybe I'm too new. In anycase thank-you. Before I came across your project I was using serial communication to get NMEA strings off the GPS. Makes it difficult for me to run multiple services dependent on location data due to I/O blocking. Your solution using mock providers is much superior.

herbert1
Old
Thanks Meter 65
Hi,

Someone stated that I should call "busybox stty -F ..." instead of "stty -F ...", because, if busybox is installed, stty isn't a standalone binary.

For me it makes sense.

Are some of you using something else (than busybox) and, as I cannot test myself, can you confirm that it's working ?

Herbert
The Following User Says Thank You to herbert1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AngelOfGrief
Old
Thanks Meter 1
On my box both are working, but why don't you try it yourself anyway?

KiLLWarez
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Anyone tried to connect USB GPS on ICS?

I want to connect MTK GPS bridged to USB with CP2102.

herbert1
Old
Thanks Meter 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLLWarez View Post
Anyone tried to connect USB GPS on ICS?

I want to connect MTK GPS bridged to USB with CP2102.
blueGPS is working on ICS and Jelly Beans (galaxy nexus) , so I think USB GPS should work on ICS.

Herbert

KiLLWarez
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Successfully connected MTK GPS device bridged to USB with CP2102 to today famous Mele A1000. It was flashed to ICS, then added CP210x module to kernel, then set speed manually in your app. After that my nav app found sattelites in seconds. herbert1, thank you for your app!

zero2008
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Successfully connected MTK GPS device bridged to USB with CP2102 to today famous Mele A1000. It was flashed to ICS, then added CP210x module to kernel, then set speed manually in your app. After that my nav app found sattelites in seconds. herbert1, thank you for your app!
Could you please explain how to add the cp210x module to the kernel! As I'm trying to get a cp2104 to work with a MK802..

Many thanks
Zero

herbert1
Old
Thanks Meter 65
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback

Herbert