[HOW-TO] ADB Push a ROM to your phone

Search This thread

brwetz

Jul 31, 2010
Hello all,

I've seen multiple people who recently, by one way or another, have a phone that have the bootloader unlocked, device rooted, and a recovery flashed...but for some reason you don't have a ROM flashed and your phone won't boot up past the bootanimation. If you're in that situation, this will hopefully help solve that issue.

What this thread is designed to do is inform you how to flash a ROM.zip file onto your seemingly bricked HTC One S device that you can't boot up. As you know, usually if your phone boots up, you just plug it into your computer, mount it, and just drag and drop the file. Well, for those of you that have no way to do that, I hopefully have a fix for you!

Requirements:
Unlocked Bootloader/Rooted Device
CWM Recovery flashed from fastboot.
Basic knowledge of adb/fastboot commands

Steps:
- Download your ROM of choice (referred to as ROM.zip) and place it wherever your ADB is on computer's harddrive (referred to as c:\AndroidSDK\tools)

- Boot your phone into Recovery and select the "Mounts & Storage" screen

- Plug your phone into your computer using USB Data Transfer Cable

- Ensure in Recovery that your phone shows "Unmount /sdcard/" and "Unmount /system/" (If they do not show this automatically, just press each one once respectively as pressing just toggles Mount and Unmount)

- Open Command Prompt on your computer by doing Start -> Run -> cmd

- In Command Prompt, type "cd c:\AndroidSDK\tools" replacing AndroidSDK\tools with wherever your adb and ROM are located.

- This is probably the most important part - Still in Command Prompt, type "adb push ROM.zip /sdcard/ROM.zip" replacing ROM with the EXACT name of the ROM file and including the .zip piece on both ends. This may take a minute or two...or four, but you will see a message in Command Prompt saying something like <12345678kb to 1234567kb>. That is just telling you that the file was pushed properly. (I did not include that message in the picture below)

- Once this has completed, unplug your phone from your computer and close the Command Prompt window

- Back in Recovery, go to Recovery's main screen and Do a "Factory Reset", "Wipe Cache Partition", and "Wipe Dalvik Cache [which is in the Advanced menu of Recovery]"

- When these are all done, from Recovery's main screen, select "Install ZIP from SD Card" and then "Choose file from SD Card" and select the ROM.zip file you just pushed from your computer to the SD Card. If you do not see the file, go back to Mounts and Storage and toggle them to say "Mount /sdcard/" and "Mount /system/" and then go back and try to fine the ROM.zip file. If you still do not see it, it was not pushed correctly...go back and ensure you were letter for letter with the name and the file path.

- Once the screen in Recovery says "Install from SD Card Complete.", go back to Recovery's main screen yet again and select "Reboot system now" - If your device fails to Install the ROM.zip, I had this happen to me. You must push the CWM SuperSU ZIP (the .zip file is found at the end of this thread)file as outlined before and Install THAT .zip file in Recovery, then reboot Recovery and Install the ROM.zip from SD Card.

- Let your phone have some time to boot up...initial boot from installing a new ROM have histories of taking a couple minutes.

- You should now be on a working HTC One S running whatever ROM you decided to flash.

Conclusion:
I hope you got your phone working again and I hope this helped. Please feel free to critique this guide as I am quite new to the HTC One S, but not new to rooting phones at all. If you have questions, please comment and ask or don't hesitate to shoot me a PM...I'm more than willing to help.

I hope this helped all of you who may be in the situation I was in and the situation I've seen a couple of people in.

Thanks for this information goes out to doktortaru, strker45, and torxx.

brwetz

Jul 31, 2010
Zylith I tried that when my phone was messed up, but I couldn't find the SD Card. However when I includes the name of the zip at the end, it worked.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using xda premium

Last edited:

mrroey

Mar 19, 2010
thanks for the detailed guide! the issue im having is not being able to mount /sdcard in recovery. I can successfully adb push the zip to the sdcard but when i try to flash in recovery, it gives me error mounting /sdcard.
can you post a quick guide on how to flash via fastboot the boot.img and system.img from the RUU? i think thats the only option i have at this point. and thanks again for this guide!

brwetz

Jul 31, 2010
thanks for the detailed guide! the issue im having is not being able to mount /sdcard in recovery. I can successfully adb push the zip to the sdcard but when i try to flash in recovery, it gives me error mounting /sdcard.
can you post a quick guide on how to flash via fastboot the boot.img and system.img from the RUU? i think thats the only option i have at this point. and thanks again for this guide!

When you click to mount /sdcard/ before you push the ROM over, what does Recovery tell you? What error is it?

mrroey

Mar 19, 2010
So when I press mount sdcard it shows me Error mounting /sdcard. Same message when I try to format the sd card.
Adb seems.to push the file to sd card successfully in cmd. However when I go to install from zip it gives me "Cannot mount /sdcard"
I tried partitioning the sd card in recovery but that doesn't seem to have any effect.

cannondale0815

Apr 21, 2009
So when I press mount sdcard it shows me Error mounting /sdcard. Same message when I try to format the sd card.
Adb seems.to push the file to sd card successfully in cmd. However when I go to install from zip it gives me "Cannot mount /sdcard"
I tried partitioning the sd card in recovery but that doesn't seem to have any effect.

Try my solution here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1630459

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: mrroey

brwetz

Jul 31, 2010
Yea, I had trouble mounting anything prior to all of this.

I had to do Clear Storage in the bootloader, reinstall CWM Recovery and SuperSU and I got it to work. Hopefully we don't have too many more people with this issue. If we do, I'll be around to help.

I'm always trying to learn and try new things, so hopefully I'll be able to help with more stuff in the future.

decalex

Apr 21, 2009
Boston, MA
just to make sure, for the T-Mobile One S folks, you guys aren't able to mount /system with adb yet right?

as in.. being able to adb push files to the /system folder ..
in the current state of our root.

azzledazzle

Dec 12, 2010
XDA Sucks !
I think that this thread is definitely in the RIGHT section !! And i also think it should be stickied !!

Its a very useful thread / Guide as we dont have mount USB storage option working in CWM... So if something fails, And you are left with no flashable ROM on your phone THIS guide will save your life :D

Thanks to the OP !!

brwetz

Jul 31, 2010
Can this be moved/stickied possibly? This seems to be a decent size problem for many people. :)

om.thelostone

Feb 18, 2011
Unable to see how is this tutorial helpful
Its like pushing a FILE to ur SDCARD with ADB
So the title is misleading; as installing a ROM is a different issue

maddes1402

May 11, 2011
Unable to see how is this tutorial helpful
Its like pushing a FILE to ur SDCARD with ADB
So the title is misleading; as installing a ROM is a different issue

There are a lot of users who love to flash new things but who don´t deal with all the computer stuff every day. So when you are addicted to the install instructions but something unexpectful happens and your phone is in boot loop this guide is very useful.
When this is stickied it could a) avoid heard attacks of users who think "OMG I have bricked my phone" and b) avoid that dev threads become off topic. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello all,

I've seen multiple people who recently, by one way or another, have a phone that have the bootloader unlocked, device rooted, and a recovery flashed...but for some reason you don't have a ROM flashed and your phone won't boot up past the bootanimation. If you're in that situation, this will hopefully help solve that issue.

What this thread is designed to do is inform you how to flash a ROM.zip file onto your seemingly bricked HTC One S device that you can't boot up. As you know, usually if your phone boots up, you just plug it into your computer, mount it, and just drag and drop the file. Well, for those of you that have no way to do that, I hopefully have a fix for you!

Requirements:

Steps:
    - Download your ROM of choice (referred to as ROM.zip) and place it wherever your ADB is on computer's harddrive (referred to as c:\AndroidSDK\tools)

- Ensure in Recovery that your phone shows "Unmount /sdcard/" and "Unmount /system/" (If they do not show this automatically, just press each one once respectively as pressing just toggles Mount and Unmount)

- In Command Prompt, type "cd c:\AndroidSDK\tools" replacing AndroidSDK\tools with wherever your adb and ROM are located.

- This is probably the most important part - Still in Command Prompt, type "adb push ROM.zip /sdcard/ROM.zip" replacing ROM with the EXACT name of the ROM file and including the .zip piece on both ends. This may take a minute or two...or four, but you will see a message in Command Prompt saying something like <12345678kb to 1234567kb>. That is just telling you that the file was pushed properly. (I did not include that message in the picture below)

- Once this has completed, unplug your phone from your computer and close the Command Prompt window

- Back in Recovery, go to Recovery's main screen and Do a "Factory Reset", "Wipe Cache Partition", and "Wipe Dalvik Cache [which is in the Advanced menu of Recovery]"

- When these are all done, from Recovery's main screen, select "Install ZIP from SD Card" and then "Choose file from SD Card" and select the ROM.zip file you just pushed from your computer to the SD Card. If you do not see the file, go back to Mounts and Storage and toggle them to say "Mount /sdcard/" and "Mount /system/" and then go back and try to fine the ROM.zip file. If you still do not see it, it was not pushed correctly...go back and ensure you were letter for letter with the name and the file path.

- Once the screen in Recovery says "Install from SD Card Complete.", go back to Recovery's main screen yet again and select "Reboot system now" - If your device fails to Install the ROM.zip, I had this happen to me. You must push the CWM SuperSU ZIP (the .zip file is found at the end of this thread)file as outlined before and Install THAT .zip file in Recovery, then reboot Recovery and Install the ROM.zip from SD Card.

- Let your phone have some time to boot up...initial boot from installing a new ROM have histories of taking a couple minutes.

- You should now be on a working HTC One S running whatever ROM you decided to flash.

Conclusion:
    I hope you got your phone working again and I hope this helped. Please feel free to critique this guide as I am quite new to the HTC One S, but not new to rooting phones at all. If you have questions, please comment and ask or don't hesitate to shoot me a PM...I'm more than willing to help.

I hope this helped all of you who may be in the situation I was in and the situation I've seen a couple of people in.

you don't need to finish the command with rom.zip:

adb push ROM.zip /sdcard

is enough.. Also you should so the ROM.zip in the same folder as ADB, with the your picture.
    Don't need this tutorial as im not having this issue but wanted to say thanks for posting it. This should definitely help some people in the future! Great write up!
    Hello all,

Requirements:

Steps:

Conclusion:

@brwetz
    m8! what a lovely solution! its a real life saver! thanks
    WBR
    ReyTech.
    Thank you man.
    Very informative for self learning!