Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,588 Members 47,300 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q&A][Kernel] Infusion-Z and Zen kernels, questions on other kernels welcome

Tip us?
 
atk
Old
#11  
Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 42
Join Date: May 2007
Default What kernel to use with AEON ROM?

Forgive me for asking, but before I flash, I'd like to know what kernel users would recommend flashing for use with AEON ROM? And for my own edification, why do you recommend it? I'm still trying to get my hands around the difference between a ROM and a kernel.

Thanks,
atk
 
xDa.Fun
Old
#12  
xDa.Fun's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 803
Posts: 599
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Planet Earth

 
DONATE TO ME
These kernels can be used on any Gingerbread based Roms for infuse.
please visit this link for further clarifications specially designed for new users. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=22913686
My Device : Android JB 4.2.2
God loves Fun

The Following User Says Thank You to xDa.Fun For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
atk
Old
#13  
Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 42
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeonit View Post
These kernels can be used on any Gingerbread based Roms for infuse.
please visit this link for further clarifications specially designed for new users. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=22913686
Fair enough. Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to atk For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Zen Arcade
Old
#14  
Zen Arcade's Avatar
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 3237
Posts: 1,252
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Haddonfield, IL

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by atk View Post
Forgive me for asking, but before I flash, I'd like to know what kernel users would recommend flashing for use with AEON ROM? And for my own edification, why do you recommend it? I'm still trying to get my hands around the difference between a ROM and a kernel.

Thanks,
atk
There are kernels based on source code released by Samsung, intended to be run with ROMs based on Samsung source. There are also kernels based on the Android Open Source Project (AOSP) that will work with ROMs developed from AOSP sources. You cannot run an AOSP kernel with a Samsung-based ROM and visa versa.

In general, kernels are what manage the phone hardware and provide a common interface to the ROM and applications running on the phone.

If you are running Aeon you have two kernel groups to choose from: Entropy's daily driver - better on battery and includes fast charging hacks, or Infusion - geared more toward faster performance with overclocking. With updates in the past two months both provide most of the features available in the stock kernels along with being rooted to support custom ROMs.

You can click on the "ISET" link in my signature to get to the "super everything thread" with links to all the options available fo the Infuse.

Or, if you want to keep it simple, just flash Aeon and use the kernel that comes with the ROM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zen Arcade For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Zen Arcade
Old
#15  
Zen Arcade's Avatar
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 3237
Posts: 1,252
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Haddonfield, IL

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeonit View Post
Hi Zen

You can also throw us "Zen ROM" fully tweaked with your kernel.
It's #2 on the list
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zen Arcade For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
jdt352
Old
(Last edited by jdt352; 26th May 2012 at 02:12 AM.)
#16  
jdt352's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 349
Posts: 231
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
flash coreA-16 kernel
in cwm, enable voodoo lagfix and system conversion
in phone cpu manager (i recommend voltage control) set the following:
- max to 1600 (minimum to 100)
- i/o scheduler - cfq
- governor - ondemand
- voltage - enable 1600 setting
- voltage - set undervolt to -50 across the board
- apply settings, then touch the menu key to save boot configuration
install adrenaline shot 14
- run only scripts 00, 01, 03, 04, 05, and 08 (others can be moved from /system/etc/init.d to your sdcard in case you want to try later).

run antutu benchmark...
I have better values using noop and conservative. But my current high antutu score is 3911.
With cfq and ondemand - 3751

Still- 3911 is pretty great!

EDIT: But 4060 is even better! Still noop and conservative with -50mv down the line.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jdt352 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
csaint422
Old
#17  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 12
Posts: 13
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Houston
I use aeon and your newest kernel a oc to 1600 uv -50 all the way down,
when ever I play words with friends after I make a play and the ad pops up I click okay then it usually freezes up and get a black screen and I have to hit back a few times to get out and eventually get a fc screen then it works again.
Same thing if I go open a text message while playing for example and try and go back to words with friends it freezes up again..
What could be causing this?
It doesn't really do it with entropys dd just this one, it also does the same if I don't oc and leave it at 1200
Any ideas? Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using XDA
Phone:Infuse 4G
Rom: Aeon 1.4
Kernel: Entropy DD
 
qkster
Old
#18  
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4521
Posts: 3,201
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by csaint422 View Post
I use aeon and your newest kernel a oc to 1600 uv -50 all the way down,
when ever I play words with friends after I make a play and the ad pops up I click okay then it usually freezes up and get a black screen and I have to hit back a few times to get out and eventually get a fc screen then it works again.
Same thing if I go open a text message while playing for example and try and go back to words with friends it freezes up again..
What could be causing this?
It doesn't really do it with entropys dd just this one, it also does the same if I don't oc and leave it at 1200
Any ideas? Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using XDA
1. dont undervolt.
2. your phone may not be able to hand the oc to 1.6 ..try Zen-B 1.4
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qkster For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
csaint422
Old
#19  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 12
Posts: 13
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Houston
My phone has worked fine oc to 1600 before, and if I don't uv my battery life well suck..
Maybe I'll give b a shot..
Just seems multi tasking bogs down some could be a combination of tweaks conflicting, I'll try b or not oc with less uv and play around till something works

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using XDA
Phone:Infuse 4G
Rom: Aeon 1.4
Kernel: Entropy DD
 
Judge Joseph Dredd
Old
#20  
Judge Joseph Dredd's Avatar
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator - Judgment is Coming
Thanks Meter 24949
Posts: 14,849
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Mega-City One
Quote:
Originally Posted by csaint422 View Post
My phone has worked fine oc to 1600 before, and if I don't uv my battery life well suck..Maybe I'll give b a shot..
Just seems multi tasking bogs down some could be a combination of tweaks conflicting, I'll try b or not oc with less uv and play around till something works
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using XDA
I have never been a fan of oc...I have so many that love to oc their phones, pc...so on...imho oc degrades your hardware, sure you rocking it while it lasts on 1.6 + oc, and sure the phone can handle it, when it can. but just like any type of hardware i.e. computers, phones and so on, your gonna bring the hardware down. And will wear out....imo.

Not saying you should or shouldn't, just a thought, I can't afford to degrade my phone or computer, so I just run it at speeds that it was designed for, but even flashing custom rom is not safe either...so I understand the need for speed, but if your gonna fly....ensure you have parachute just in case you crash and burn... Ok enough of my old man talk...
Control Operator: Do you require backup? Judge Dredd: No.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Judge Joseph Dredd For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes