5,595,000 Members 39,045 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[BREAKING NEWS] No ICS for Xperia PLAY?

Tip us?

jim1h
Old
(Last edited by jim1h; 25th May 2012 at 05:38 PM.)
Thanks Meter 25
Oops don't know how the double post happened!!

I forgot about the ps suite, to be honest, thinking about it the phone is 14 months old, a lot of people have paid £500 for it or tied into a 2 year contract.. Why shouldn't they expect a bloody update.. Legally if someone has bought this phone expecting ps suite because this was advertised at the time they could expect compensation!

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk 2

andiemerchcomia
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Xperia play Definitely my last sony and android phone. Bought this last december just for the ICS.
Will gift this to my bro and ill get iphone 4 or 4s. Good by sony and android.
Sent from my R800i using XDA
The Following User Says Thank You to andiemerchcomia For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gerickjohn
Old
Thanks Meter 21

DONATE TO ME
Default D=

How unfortunate to Xperia Play owners, I head on here as soon as I read the post on Sony's blog, I guess Sony E. had it coming to them cheaping out on the components.

blogs(dot)sonymobile(dot)com/products/2012/05/25/update-on-ice-cream-sandwich-rollout-for-xperia-smartphones/ [Cant post links yet. XD]

Well.. excited for my Arc though.

Geeve
Old
(Last edited by Geeve; 25th May 2012 at 06:29 PM.)
Thanks Meter 22
I actually thought it was OP's joke/assumption the first time I read the thread (sorry OP ).

Well, I'm not sad/mad, not at all. Yes, it was an extremely big dissapointment for everyone and Sony might lose a lot of angry customers, but maybe they know better.
The thing I don't understand tho is why would a game not work on XPlay ICS and would work on other ICS device? Is there some kind of conspiracy?

Meh, I'm sure there will be an update for XPlay in the near future (mostly because of the new XPlay launch app I saw on ICS beta, which makes it look more like PSP's OS).

The_Newtype
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I'm a little disappointed, but there aren't enough new "features" in ICS to make me feel like I'm missing out on anything by not receiving the update. Even after rooting and removing some of the bloat, the phone still has it's occasional hiccups, though is rock-solid in terms of reliability.

I wouldn't mind getting one more firmware update (or perhaps a free Playstation game?!), but I'm pretty satisfied with my Play.

---------- Post added at 01:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by andiemerchcomia View Post
Xperia play Definitely my last sony and android phone. Bought this last december just for the ICS.
Will gift this to my bro and ill get iphone 4 or 4s. Good by sony and android.
Sent from my R800i using XDA
Never buy a device for what it could or will do; always buy for what it can do for you right now

bigas
Old
Thanks Meter 22
In some way, this is a good news. I hope the ones who care to develop GingerBread stuff for Xperia Play (ie CyanogenMod7) focus on finish the wonderful job already started. And I’m not asking anything else, BUT, kernel + battery improvements AND 720p recording would really push the hardware to its limits.

puelocesar
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs down Stop apologizing for Sony mistakes

My next phone will be an iPhone. Definitely. Games are better, apps are better looking, and Apple will support your phone with updates for YEARS.

The first iPhone stopped updates only on 3.1 I think, so it supported 3 MAJOR versions, while Android phones barely can handle one.

Stop apologizing Sony behavior, you are being just Sony puppets. The thing is, Sony *PROMISED* ICS, and a lot of people, including me, bought the Play because of it. And now they came and say, sorry, but Android game developers don't want to fix their games on the phone, so no ICS for you guys.

And about the performance, yes, you can have good performance on Xperia Play with ICS, but due limited RAM, you have to remove all Sony bloatware, something they apparently doesn't want to give up.

Geeve
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Also, wouldn't it been better if Sony made the ICS update available along with a big red mark in front of it, saying something like:
Quote:
Highest user and gaming experience might not be assured. Update unstable, proceed at your own risk. For the best performance for this device, continue using version 2.3.

IE-coRe
Old
Thanks Meter 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeve View Post
Also, wouldn't it been better if Sony made the ICS update available along with a big red mark in front of it, saying something like:
+1 best solution!!
Samsung M1 -> Motorola Defy->Xperia Play->Xperia Sola->HTC One!!

Running:

EagleDelta1
Old
(Last edited by EagleDelta1; 25th May 2012 at 06:40 PM.)
Thanks Meter 7
I don't understand why people are up in arms - The blog specifically stated that the decision was made based on feedback from both the internal dev team AND community Developers. It's no secret that there are bug problems galore in ICS for Xperia Play, not to mention the hardware specs don't quite match up to the minimum that Google requires for 4.0

Someone else already said this, but I'll repeat it: NEVER buy a phone (or ANY computing device) for what it COULD do, always on what it can do now. Future features in the tech world are always subject to change in their development lifetime.

I'd also like to note that it's not Sony's job to get 3rd party apps working on ICS for their device, it's those companies' responsibility

The Following User Says Thank You to EagleDelta1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe