5,594,564 Members 33,083 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Anyone port the ICS leak's radios and kernel yet?

Tip us?

dewhashish
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default Anyone port the ICS leak's radios and kernel yet?

I know there were 2 leaks of ICS for the phone, but has anyone been able to update the ICS ROMs in the threads to use the new kernel and radios? There's still some data issues and we're using a GB kernel

EDIT: i meant leaks, stupid typo
"Hello, IT, have you tried turning it off and on again?" <- apply this to a buggy ROM

Phones:

- AT&T Samsung Galaxy S 4: stock ROM 4.3 MK2

- Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III: CM11 4.4.2, stock CM kernel

- Verizon iPhone 4: iOS 6 (returned)

- Verizon Motorola Droid 4: Unofficial CM10, 4.1.1 (sold)

- Verizon Motorola Droid: CM7.2, 2.3.7, 1.25GHz ChevyNo Kernel (retired)

Tablets:

- HP Touchpad: Dual-boot WebOS and Unofficial CM10.1, 4.2.2 (sold)

flamefangahs
Old
Thanks Meter 2
The kernel is based on GB because of the locked bootloader. At least that's how I am to understand it. In other words I think that the custom ROMs can be improved using the leaked ROMs but they'll still have to remain based on the GB kernel. Unless you update your stock system to ICS that is. I think the biggest thing devs should focus on right now is a way to safely upgrade to ICS where downgrading is possible in order to stay on Verizons official upgrade path.

As it stands, the OTA will look for GB 219 when upgrading so those early adopters won't be able to get future upgrades. Unless devs find a way to downgrade or trick the update that is.

Everything I've said could be wrong however this is how I have come to understand it.

Sent from my DROID4 using XDA
The Following User Says Thank You to flamefangahs For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

azrael293
Old
Thanks Meter 35

DONATE TO ME
Given that we have the fastboot files can't we just wipe and flash that to downgrade?

Current Devices:
Droid 4: Rooted Running Rooted Stock JB with Tweaks/Eclipse JB 1.04
Dell Streak 7: WiFi Only Rooted Running CM 10.1 Beta by Giveen
iPod Touch 4G: Stock (Guitar FX Processor)
Previous Phones/Devices:
Droid 2: Rooted Running Liberty 2 (Currently Car Media Device)
EnV Touch: Stock - (Alarm Clock and Notepad)

www.halfnightentertainment.com
www.facebook.com/thesandsofahura

moah909
Old
Thanks Meter 20

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael293 View Post
Given that we have the fastboot files can't we just wipe and flash that to downgrade?

No, this results in a brick. Fastboot refuses to flash older partitions over new ones.

Sent from my XT894 using xda premium

highlandsun
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 253

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamefangahs View Post
The kernel is based on GB because of the locked bootloader. At least that's how I am to understand it. In other words I think that the custom ROMs can be improved using the leaked ROMs but they'll still have to remain based on the GB kernel. Unless you update your stock system to ICS that is. I think the biggest thing devs should focus on right now is a way to safely upgrade to ICS where downgrading is possible in order to stay on Verizons official upgrade path.
This is why you need kexec - you can load the ICS kernel dynamically, without corrupting your GB install.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
T-Mobile G1 / radio 2.22.28.25 / SPL 1.33.0013d / Recovery RA-dream-1.7.0 / FroyoByLazlo-4
T-Mobile TP2 (RHOD210) / radio 4.49.25.57 / WM6.5 / XDAndroid FRX06+Fixes
Verizon Droid4 / 6.16.217.XT894

rumgool
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandsun View Post
This is why you need kexec - you can load the ICS kernel dynamically, without corrupting your GB install.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Actually, upgrading to ICS leak is probably the way to go. We can now upgrade from leak 200 to 206, giving us the ability to stay on the upgrade path. Since the XDA forums are dead for the Droid 4, I suggest everyone keep up at droidforums.

Here are the instructions for upgrading from leak 200 to 206:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...tructions.html

Also, I believe Hashcode is working on bringing Safestrap 2.0 to the new ICS leak based on the new kernel, and will be working on getting our ROMs on the new kernel as well.

GermanGuy
Old
Thanks Meter 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumgool View Post
Since the XDA forums are dead for the Droid 4, I suggest everyone keep up at droidforums.
droidforums is about as dead for the Droid 4 as is XDA. I am really surprised how little interest people have in this phone. I guess I am one of the few that still loves physical keyboards. Only drawback on this phone is the non-removable battery. Otherwise it is rock solid. Had the original Tilt, then TP and TP2. Had the G2 on T-mobile, but reception on that phone was not good and T-mobile Network in the US sucks.
AT&T HTC One M8
The Following User Says Thank You to GermanGuy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rumgool
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanGuy View Post
droidforums is about as dead for the Droid 4 as is XDA.
This is true, I was just mentioning since most of the recent information regarding the ICS leak has been on droidforums so checking it out would fill everyone in on whats going on. Because basically development for the GB kernel is probably going to come to a halt and future development will be based on the new ICS kernel, including the existing AOSP ROMs.

dewhashish
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
wait, the 206 version keeps you on the upgrade path?
"Hello, IT, have you tried turning it off and on again?" <- apply this to a buggy ROM

Phones:

- AT&T Samsung Galaxy S 4: stock ROM 4.3 MK2

- Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III: CM11 4.4.2, stock CM kernel

- Verizon iPhone 4: iOS 6 (returned)

- Verizon Motorola Droid 4: Unofficial CM10, 4.1.1 (sold)

- Verizon Motorola Droid: CM7.2, 2.3.7, 1.25GHz ChevyNo Kernel (retired)

Tablets:

- HP Touchpad: Dual-boot WebOS and Unofficial CM10.1, 4.2.2 (sold)

moah909
Old
Thanks Meter 20

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewhashish View Post
wait, the 206 version keeps you on the upgrade path?
No, but 206 was supposed to require 219 as 200 did and the official one will and people have found ways around it.

Sent from my XT894 using xda premium