[MOD] EXT4All Continued + Now with TWRP 2.3 Support

Search This thread

tiny4579

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 15, 2011
The purpose of this thread is to host a location and continue support for a really neat ext4 mod.

IMPORTANT: If you flash the no data limit mod you need to do it after every update or your data, which won't be lost will be hidden by the contents of the data data partition.

I'm going to keep this brief. The original thread was closed so I wanted to have a new location where everyone can find the files. But this is a new thread for Jermaine151's and my EXT4all mod.

Below is the original thread which already has a lot of useful information:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1315372

Here is where you can find most of if not all the EXT4All files:

http://dinc.does-it.net/EXT4_Mods/

Sorry this thread isn't too organized but I threw one together so people could post on it with their comments.

This mod should work on all AOSP ROMs including ICS ROMs and MIUI. It's been confirmed on CM7 and MIUI but I've also tested on CM9. It should also work on all Sense ROMs and does work on every Sense ROM I've tested. Be sure to flash a newer version of the gingertiny kernel if you use a Sense ROM as the kernel version flashed to add ext4 compatibility is out of date.

V2 Mods with TWRP 2.3+ support and proper support for filesystem tweaks for ROMs that are already set to use ext4 found below:

V2 EXT4All Mods

FAQ

Q. How do I know if the ext4 mod(s) worked?
A. The best way is to do the following from terminal:
su
mount | grep /data

It should show a line with /data and ext4 and, if it has the no data limit, also a line with /data/data and ext4. If you're on an ICS/JB ROM it will show ext4 anyways. The best way to tell with the new version of the mod is to see if noauto_da_alloc shows in the results of the above commands.

Last edited:

teddyastuffed

Aug 16, 2010
Laguna Hills, CA
Hey tiny, thanks for opening this btw. Wasn't sure if I should post here or on ur kernal thread but my girls dinc was having the data limit problem so I wiped cache and dalvic, flashed ext4 no data limit normal dalvic then flashed ur newest kernal (3/11 date). And I have been having the hardest time keeping her phone stable. I've tried every governor sav2, interactivex, ondemand, even sa, tried deadline, sio schedulers, even tried raising the voltages to a post u had on ur kernal thread, page 85 or something (wasn't sure if I should set the min and max of the voltages for the same thing, but that's wat I did). But she still says its very unstable. She's running stock+ 3.01 and she DOES have a cheap ebay battery in her phone, not quite sure how much that plays a role in the problem. She's at work right now so I can't pull any logs, but I know ull probably need a logcat? Or I dunno. If u could gimme directions on anything I should post to assist u. And I'm not overclocking at all for the record. On stock kernal she never had any stability issues, uptime of 200 hours+. But urs is definitely snappier and that damned data limit is the main reason y I even switched her over to begin with. Thanks tiny in advanced for everything u do!!!

Sent from my ADR6400L using xda premium

tiny4579

Jan 15, 2011
I'd prefer the kernel thread.

And I'll need a last_kmsg. Just copy /proc/last_kmsg with root explorer or another file explorer and attach it to a post on the kernel thread. Since you most likely eliminated undervolting by using the voltages on page 85 of the kernel thread, then it's possible the battery has an effect. I've heard that poorly made batteries can cause issues that stock batteries don't have so further deviation from stock may have an influence. Either way, I'll look at that log once you get it. Make sure not to battery pull until you can copy that log and try to do it within 24 hours of the last reboot to be safe.

funkpod

Aug 7, 2010
Question about this mod, I am running CM7.2, RC2, and onto rc3 soon.

I am having random resets, problems w/ my phone freezing, a mysterious message "sorry, process system is not responding", and other various issues. Could it be that the mod is causing some problems for my phone, or more about something that wasn't cleaned out when i flashed over a nightly?

tiny4579

Jan 15, 2011

I am having random resets, problems w/ my phone freezing, a mysterious message "sorry, process system is not responding", and other various issues. Could it be that the mod is causing some problems for my phone, or more about something that wasn't cleaned out when i flashed over a nightly?

Try a logcat before wiping which i would suggest in the end or else we won't know. I don't think the mod would cause that though.

Also pull /proc/last_kmsg.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Reactions: funkpod

jblack55

Jun 21, 2011
Houston
Google Pixel 6a
I've been running various ICS roms and switched back to Warm rev 58. Upon installing the latest kernel and the Ext4 mod. I am unable to install apps. Any idea what may be causing this. I wasn't sure if it was the rom or not do I did an update with SVN and installed that with the same results. I have a nandroid with just the rom and all the apps I want, but would like to overclock and the stock kernel won't allow. And would also like to be able to install a new app should one arise.

Sent from my HTC Droid Incredible using xda premium

funkpod

Aug 7, 2010
Try a logcat before wiping which i would suggest in the end or else we won't know. I don't think the mod would cause that though.

Thanks, how do I generate the logcat?

Sent from my Incredible.
Aw yeah.

jblack55

Jun 21, 2011
Houston
Google Pixel 6a
Ok. It's not the kernel. Installed the most recent and everything is fine. Installed the ext4 with dalvik moved before that and rebooted and apps were missing and it wouldn't let me install new apps and some of my previously installed apps were missing. When I tried to install them it said it was going to replace an existing app and then said app not installed.
Any ideas???

Sent from my HTC Droid Incredible using xda premium

funkpod

Aug 7, 2010

also, i can't see the file /proc/last_kmsg

i see /proc , and i see "kmsg" but i don't see "last_kmsg"

is that the same thing?
and for some reason, the android sdk doesn't work now, that i have uninstalled and reinstalled it...

tiny4579

Jan 15, 2011
also, i can't see the file /proc/last_kmsg

i see /proc , and i see "kmsg" but i don't see "last_kmsg"

is that the same thing?
and for some reason, the android sdk doesn't work now, that i have uninstalled and reinstalled it...

Sorry I just dont have time tonight to explain. Maybe tomorrow.

funkpod

Aug 7, 2010
hELLO!

I HAVE A LOGCAT!

and it captures 2 errors.

First, it captures the "sorry, system process not responding" error, and then it captures this weird thing where it restarts. it doesn't go all the way back to the "htc incredible" screen, however, it goes to the cyanogenmod animation, starts up, and THEN goes right back to the cyanogenmod animation, again!

finally, i shut it off, cuz i didn't know how to get the logcat to stop in ddms.

and i have the /proc/last_kmsg... how do i get it to you?

i added a .txt to the end of it so i could upload it, hope that works. is that what you need?

Attachments

• last_kmsg.txt
    75.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

tiny4579

Jan 15, 2011
hELLO!

I HAVE A LOGCAT!

and it captures 2 errors.

First, it captures the "sorry, system process not responding" error, and then it captures this weird thing where it restarts. it doesn't go all the way back to the "htc incredible" screen, however, it goes to the cyanogenmod animation, starts up, and THEN goes right back to the cyanogenmod animation, again!

finally, i shut it off, cuz i didn't know how to get the logcat to stop in ddms.

and i have the /proc/last_kmsg... how do i get it to you?

i added a .txt to the end of it so i could upload it, hope that works. is that what you need?

Try fix uids in amon ra recovery. Amon ra should be listed in from manager. I don't think it's the same as fix permissions in cwm which I believe there is file system based. From looking at your logcat there are a lot of unknown permission errors. Let me know. I'm at work so didn't have a lot of time to respond but wanted to check briefly.

funkpod

Aug 7, 2010
Try fix uids in amon ra recovery. Amon ra should be listed in from manager. I don't think it's the same as fix permissions in cwm which I believe there is file system based. From looking at your logcat there are a lot of unknown permission errors. Let me know. I'm at work so didn't have a lot of time to respond but wanted to check briefly.

hey, thanks for looking at it. what do you do for work, that you are working during a holiday?

so, you think i should try fixing user id's in amon ra recovery.
and it should be listed in ROM manager, right?

Now, here's the question, if i'm going to be trying the new RC3 in CM7, and this time i am going to do a clean install, erasing everything. would i still need to fix permissions?

or maybe i should try flashing over RC2 and then fixing permissions?

Sirknifealot

Jun 21, 2011
hey, thanks for looking at it. what do you do for work, that you are working during a holiday?

so, you think i should try fixing user id's in amon ra recovery.
and it should be listed in ROM manager, right?

Now, here's the question, if i'm going to be trying the new RC3 in CM7, and this time i am going to do a clean install, erasing everything. would i still need to fix permissions?

or maybe i should try flashing over RC2 and then fixing permissions?

Always worth a shot.. If you have the spare time try to flash over and fix permissions as 2nd~to-last thing you do before rebooting, ext mod should be last. Same with if you do a clean wipe to flash RC3 if flash over does not help.

I've personally never had an issue after a clean wipe with permissions, but it would not hurt if you did it anyway. It has been recommended when flash over though as a standard procedure. But only recommended

funkpod

Aug 7, 2010
Always worth a shot.. If you have the spare time try to flash over and fix permissions as 2nd~to-last thing you do before rebooting, ext mod should be last. Same with if you do a clean wipe to flash RC3 if flash over does not help.

I've personally never had an issue after a clean wipe with permissions, but it would not hurt if you did it anyway. It has been recommended when flash over though as a standard procedure. But only recommended

okay, so when flashing rc3, make sure i fix permissions right before the last step, and then flash ext4all mod LAST on the list?

tiny4579

Jan 15, 2011
okay, so when flashing rc3, make sure i fix permissions right before the last step, and then flash ext4all mod LAST on the list?

If you're wiping I don't see the point of fix permissions as it will fix it back to what it already probably is. I haven't fixed permissions in a while flashing ROMs and I've been ok. Force closes that I got that made me try fix permissions then weren't fixable with fix permissions anyway.

I would wipe, flash ROM, flash kernel if desired, then mod. Though if it's a sense ROM I would switch the order of kernel and mod flashing. So really you can do: ROM, ext4all mod, kernel after a wipe if you choose to wipe to fix your issue.

funkpod

Aug 7, 2010
hey, flashed over to RC3! so far so good, slowly adding things back! will let everyone know how it goes!

omniatic

Oct 15, 2009
Milwaukee
Is there a possibility that all or part of this mod could be persistent over multiple wipings?
My reasoning for this question: I originally flashed the 1.0 normal mod on Nils' BGS. In the OP it says it converts the filesystem to ext4. Many moons later, and now on drk's CM9, terminal still lists cache and data as ext4. I did not, however, flash an ext4 mod on any versions of ICS. I know that when I do a factory reset, even though all is formatted, my sd-ext remains ext4, since I set it up that way for Link2sd. Is it possible that the data and cache blocks have also remained ext4 from the original use of this mod, despite wiping and formatting repeatedly?

...sorry...I was on the phone...

tiny4579

Jan 15, 2011
Is there a possibility that all or part of this mod could be persistent over multiple wipings?
My reasoning for this question: I originally flashed the 1.0 normal mod on Nils' BGS. In the OP it says it converts the filesystem to ext4. Many moons later, and now on drk's CM9, terminal still lists cache and data as ext4. I did not, however, flash an ext4 mod on any versions of ICS. I know that when I do a factory reset, even though all is formatted, my sd-ext remains ext4, since I set it up that way for Link2sd. Is it possible that the data and cache blocks have also remained ext4 from the original use of this mod, despite wiping and formatting repeatedly?

...sorry...I was on the phone...

No, if you actually format the device like when the system runs the format command the filesystem will be ext4. However in your example of CM9 the ramdisk mounts data and cache as ext4. This will actually have a minor improvement over ext3. It'd still be an ext3 filesystem but loaded as ext4 so there's minimal performance gains.

In reality any time you flash a ROM or a boot.img type kernel (not any of mine) you will use the ramdisk of the ROM and reverse part of the effects. But since ROMs like CM9 and newer CM7 versions mount as ext4 you'll still see data and cache showing as ext4. Make sense? I never really did explain it properly before I think.

Reactions: omniatic

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The purpose of this thread is to host a location and continue support for a really neat ext4 mod.

IMPORTANT: If you flash the no data limit mod you need to do it after every update or your data, which won't be lost will be hidden by the contents of the data data partition.

I'm going to keep this brief. The original thread was closed so I wanted to have a new location where everyone can find the files. But this is a new thread for Jermaine151's and my EXT4all mod.

Below is the original thread which already has a lot of useful information:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1315372

Here is where you can find most of if not all the EXT4All files:

http://dinc.does-it.net/EXT4_Mods/

Sorry this thread isn't too organized but I threw one together so people could post on it with their comments.

This mod should work on all AOSP ROMs including ICS ROMs and MIUI. It's been confirmed on CM7 and MIUI but I've also tested on CM9. It should also work on all Sense ROMs and does work on every Sense ROM I've tested. Be sure to flash a newer version of the gingertiny kernel if you use a Sense ROM as the kernel version flashed to add ext4 compatibility is out of date.

V2 Mods with TWRP 2.3+ support and proper support for filesystem tweaks for ROMs that are already set to use ext4 found below:

V2 EXT4All Mods

FAQ

Q. How do I know if the ext4 mod(s) worked?
    A. The best way is to do the following from terminal:
    su
    mount | grep /data

It should show a line with /data and ext4 and, if it has the no data limit, also a line with /data/data and ext4. If you're on an ICS/JB ROM it will show ext4 anyways. The best way to tell with the new version of the mod is to see if noauto_da_alloc shows in the results of the above commands.
    Hey, I've released a v2.0 of the ext4all mods with support for TWRP 2.3+. The ones starting with Convert2ext4(normal_data, no_data_limit_normal_data, no_data_limit_dalvik_moved, no_data_limit_dalvik_moved_revert) also fix the mount tweaks not applying on /data and /cache when they're already ext4:
    Below is my dropbox URL (please no abusing, cmlusco, feel free to mirror after doing any additional testing you want)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b6x8ld0rvq9glir/J8mH5hENoC/EXT4MOD
    the following thread contains very simple and plain english directions for using this MOD. it helped me, and it was my first time rooting. Thanks also to tiny4579 for posting this new thread.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1488351

So then it's sounding like I should go with no_data_limit_normal_dalvik... From what I've read, I would flash ROM, EXT4All mod, and then Gapps? Perhaps order doesn't even matter.

ROM first always. Then the order of the other two doesnt matter. Also if you update cm builds for instance you need to flash the no data limit mod again unless you're choosing to wipe to get rid of the mod.