[Q] Denied Tethering, Privacy, and the Law . . .

Search This thread

shnn2011

Nov 25, 2011
Houston
READ THE UPDATE AT THE BOTTOM

IS T-MOBILE IN VIOLATION CITIZEN'S PRIVACY AND POSSIBLY THE LAW

Recently it has come to attention that T-mobile is blocking tethering based on the type of browser that you use.

HOW THE OLD HACK WORKED

T-Mobile tethering can usually be subverted with a "rooted" phone by freezing or uninstalling the Tethering Manager app that usually prevents tethering unless you pay for it. Basically, the On/Off switch was in the users handset. Many users were using this trick and gaining tethering without paying for it until recently.

WHAT CHANGED ? ? ?

Apparently, T-Mobile decided to fix this by intelligently eavesdropping on all web communications of its customers looking for the field of data in your request which identifies the type of browser that you use.

Then based on your web browser (if you use a browser identified as one that does not generally run on a mobile device) they deny access by redirecting you to their page where the advertise their additional tethering service.

PRETTY SOLID EVIDENCE

So the question is how this can be proven. Simple grab one of those "rooted" phones that used to work, and tether them to one another them using wireless. Since the the phones are both is using a mobile browser, (the same browser) then T-Mobile wont be able to tell the difference so you can tether all you want. You are now using one phones internet connection through the other.

Now tether to a P.C. using wireless and use Chrome . . . if it works it will be for only a little while before you are denied service and redirected to T-Mobiles page advertising tethering services.

THE SIGNIFICANT QUESTIONS AT HAND

So now that we know that T-Mobile is monitoring our web communications what are the social and ethical implications. Their basically saying since your using our service we will look at what your doing when ever we want.

Really?

-What else are you looking at and logging T-Mobile?

-What does the law say about this?

-In the U.S. what does the F.C.C. have to say about this?

-Is this a moral practice?

-How do customers feel about being spied on by their trusted service provider?

-Why would we pay to unblock something that we have already purchased?

WHAT HAS T-MOBILE ACHIEVED BY DOING THIS

Its not like T-Mobile will actually achieve anything for long (A few days at most before a wide spread workaround). People smart enough to root their phones are also smart enough to get around this, as I will discuss this is not even an obstacle.

T-MOBILES GREAT UNSPOKEN ANNOUNCEMENT

All that T-Mobile achieved by doing this is tell the world a little more about how deeply they are watching what their beloved customers are doing at all times.

THE WORKAROUND

Please bear with me if you are technically inclined, I am trying to make this simple so it could be understood by all.

A simple app that intercept the request of the tethered device and intelligently scans and strips the field of data identifying the requesting browser as anything other that the stock authorized android browser then replaces this data to make it appear that is was the authorized stock mobile browser making the request.

The app would then make the appropriate changes to the data received for the request and make the appropriate changes for the tethered browser to understand and route if over to that browser.

That's it, undetectable tether again ! ! !

I'm looking forward to hearing your answers.
Thanks

* * * * * * * U P D A T E * * * * * * *

I have posted some easy workarounds from my posts below for easy access.

This is not meant for, or in any way advocating violating your TOS. This is to get third party browsers, Browsers running in Virtual Machienes on your phone . . . to work. However I cannot tell you what to do; so use your judgment. I am not responsible for any misuse of this information.

Method 1 Changing the User Agent String of your browser:

This plugin allows you to change the UAString on Chrome:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/djflhoibgkdhkhhcedjiklpkjnoahfmg <-Updated the dead link

A second option (In case you have issues with FireFox) would be:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...gent-switcher/

And apparently, Opera has a Built in UAString changer:
http://www.davidtan.org/how-to-chang...-agent-string/

If you use Internet Exploiter (excuse me) Explorer for some unknown reason:
http://www.enhanceie.com/ietoys/uapick.asp

Please note:

If you change your UAString to an Android Browser UAstring, then you will usually only get the Mobile versions of the web pages you view. For most people changing the UAString to the standard FireFox UAString seems to work fine.

Method 2 Using a VPN:

Many programs are available which provide VPN (Virtual Private Network) access to your home network. Using these tools an encrypted connection between your phone and home network will be established. As a result T-Mobiles eavesdropping techniques will not be able to decipher the data between you and your home network. Once a connection has been established with your home network, then your Internet requests can be relayed through your home Internet connection . . . If you don not have a home Internet connection, then there are many services available that provide an Internet gateway for you to VPN into.

Some of the available options include:

Using your home PC or MAC as your own VPN server:

http://www.openvpn.net

Using a power efficient home router as a VPN server, using either the factory firmware, and if unsupported using a custom firmware:

The Linksys WRT-54G Router, an affordable classic:
images
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=wrt+54g

A powerful custom firmware supporting many routers:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

*******List of Issues As Reported by Many Customers*******​

1. Many third party browsers and many browsers running in a virtualised operating system are being blocked and the innocent user is being accused of tethering,in some reported cases, even the ICS web browser.

2. T-mobile refuses to fix this by stating that the Web Browser is not supported (3rd party) when one of their main selling points is Multimedia and apps and a Working TCP / IP interface for applications and is seemingly deliberately casting blame on the third party app when in fact it is T-Mobile that is spoofing and redirecting the application due to overly paranoid, ineffective,abusive and despotic counter measure aimed at people who break TOS via tethering.

3. The privacy of the user is violated due to intelligent packet sniffing on their wireless internet communications. Furthermore, the scope of monitoring is unknown, and there are many privacy concerns such as why System Manager continues to run in the background even when the user opts out of Carrier IQ and how deep it is capable of monitoring.

4. Many people who signed contracts for data plans claim they never agreed to pay any extra fee for tethering and claim that they are no longer bound to T-Mobile's contract due to this violation.

5. People on prepay plans are now denied tethering when the allowance of tethering implied continued tethering service.

6. Some prepay customers claim they purchased a month of service, or perhaps more and were provided with tethering for only part of their service period before T-mobile stopped providing part of the service (tethering) that they had already sold without refunding the customers for the nonexistent service the had payed for.

7. It has been reported that when T-Mobile throttles users ,who have gone over their high speed bandwidth allowance, to 3G speeds customers are not throttled to the ITU spec 3G speed. Instead most people report being limited to an average of about 119kbps.

8. It is further reported that throttling seems to discriminate against users who purchase more high speed data allowance and have reached their limit. For instance, A customer who purchases 2GB of high speed data and has uses it all up may be capped to about 119kbps in contrast to a customer who purchased 5GB of data who may be capped to a much lower and nearly unusable speed. Many people have reported this sort of discriminatory throttling. So, it seems that the more you pay T-Mobile and buy services, then commit the horrible act of using the service that you have paid for, you are punished.

Of interest:

da-pharoah has brought to our attention a free app that is supposed to bypass tethering restrictions with no need for root access, proving once more that T-Mobile's measures were frivolous, and ineffective. Their measures don't prevent people who want to tether from doing so; that has been proven over and over again. Their methods only hurt and shame their valued innocent customers who are accused of tethering.

The app is called Foxfi and its free

Thank you da-pharoah

This test shows that T-Mobile may be trying to punish people who purchase higher bandwidth and actually use it.

The following screenshot is from a phone that is running a stock firmware and has deliberately, and legitimately used the full 5GB high speed allowance for the month.

d03620a9-df7d-7bda.jpg

As you can see on a throttled 5GB plan the connection seems to be, at best, about 60kbps. Please note that this is with a pretty good connection. Most people claim an average of about 119kbps on a throttled 2GB plan. Since this seems to be the case, this shows that T-Mobile is discriminating against their higher paying customers and is punishing them for using the full amount of bandwidth the purchased. It seems that the more you purchase and use the more you are punished.

It was reported by a customer care representative, that the throttling should bring a customer down to a speed, much less than 60kbps regardless of the type of plan, and that those experiencing higher speeds should feel "lucky."

The problem is that this 60k seems to only be acquired with an optimal signal level and while stationary. It is reported that most of the time the speed drops down so low and the latency becomes so high that almost all internet requests are timed out.

The aforementioned scenario would make the advertised unlimited internet access, in actuality, very limited, and the user of a throttled 5GB plan would then not be receiving the service that was advertised, or that they payed for. At that point the internet service is quite useless and nearly nonexistent, when in fact a working low speed internet service is advertised for those who have reached their high speed data cap.

UPDATE

This document is for information purposes only. I do not advocate violating your contract terms or any illegal activity. you assume full liability and responsibility for the use of this information.​

Many people have reported to me that their tethering no longer works even after killing the tethering manager.
Many have asked me to look into this, here are my findings:

It seems that T-Mobile has implemented a new hidden APN in their ROMs. When you activate tethering, your connected devices seem to be routed through a different APN than your phone uses which is where the block is, if you have not paid the tax.

The answer:

A. For users:

Create a new APN name called "Tethering" and copy the information from your T-Mobile APN to it. There is no need to activate this APN. Immediately after doing so you should regain your full connection. Tested on a SGH-T989 (T-Mobile SGS 2) and reported to work.

B. Mostly for ROM authors:
Edit the appropriate configuration files and change all APNs (usually "epc.pcweb.com") to "epc.tmobile.com" or any other working APN such as MVNO APNs ("simple" . . .)

All test reports submitted to me report this is working and that my theory was accurate.

Last edited:

luftrofl

Jul 18, 2010
San Francisco
Threads like this have a sad history of going absolutely nowhere. On a side note, you need to become more familiar with the subject (no, those questions in Networking+PM were not enough) :p

The technologically inept usually (always) cry about privacy issues when it comes to similar topics. While ISPs and cell carriers have a habit of not caring at all about your privacy, tethering detection does not require a breach of anything you would consider private. Websites you visit get the same information - it's what gets you redirected to a "mobile" website.

To put it in simple terms, when you don't pay for tethering, this happens: Cell carriers look at the type of your browser's data request (user agent, in the case of T-Mobile USA). If it's a desktop browser, you get forwarded to the upsell page or you get a text message about it.

Your app idea is actually unnecessary as it's already possible to spoof user agent strings - but it's done by modifying the browser itself. Capturing every packet sent, checking for UAstring and modifying it would be completely unrealistic.

shnn2011

Nov 25, 2011
Houston
Threads like this have a sad history of going absolutely nowhere. On a side note, you need to become more familiar with the subject (no, those questions in Networking+PM were not enough) :p

The technologically inept usually (always) cry about privacy issues when it comes to similar topics. While ISPs and cell carriers have a habit of not caring at all about your privacy, tethering detection does not require a breach of anything you would consider private. Websites you visit get the same information - it's what gets you redirected to a "mobile" website.

To put it in simple terms, when you don't pay for tethering, this happens: Cell carriers look at the type of your browser's data request (user agent, in the case of T-Mobile USA). If it's a desktop browser, you get forwarded to the upsell page or you get a text message about it.

Your app idea is actually unnecessary as it's already possible to spoof user agent strings - but it's done by modifying the browser itself. Capturing every packet sent, checking for UAstring and modifying it would be completely unrealistic.

I have been a UNIX system administrator for over 15 years. During this time I have come across many diffident people and opinions.

I personally think that packet inspection in any form is a violation of the consumers rights.

Furthermore, I don't care to tether at all. The issue surfaced when my Firefox browser in Ubuntu running on my smart phone began falsely claiming that I was tethering.

Further, many people who use ICS are reporting being redirected to the same website and accused of tethering.

Running an app in the phone to change the user agent string is also very feasible. There are already apps that do that, but they don't support wireless connections, just USB. If a linksys router from the year 2000 can do it with its limited processing power, then a low power phone by todays standards has no problem.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Reactions: NerdmastaX

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
Your best bet would be to look at your TOS and read it closely. ISPs of all kinds reserve the right to monitor all data traffic on their net work. If tethering is not offered on the plan you have Legally you are in breach of your contract and can be sued. ATT does the same thing and this has been talked about to death.

Reactions: shnn2011

shnn2011

Nov 25, 2011
Houston
Your best bet would be to look at your TOS and read it closely. ISPs of all kinds reserve the right to monitor all data traffic on their net work. If tethering is not offered on the plan you have Legally you are in breach of your contract and can be sued. ATT does the same thing and this has been talked about to death.

Thank you. I agree, but the issue is that this does not really prevent people (root users) from tethering, instead it prevents third party Web browsers from properly resolving DNS. Full blown browsers in ICS and virtualized machines are mistaken as tethered systems.

T-mobile's excuse is there is something wrong with the third party app and that the third party app is not supported or their responsibility.

The reality is that T-mobile's responsibility is to provide an industry standard TCP/IP connection for our third party apps, and there is nothing wrong with the app, their system is spoofing the app due to paranoid programming.

They did not sell us Android phones with the google play market because they don't support it. Why do they advertise access to apps, but once they sell you the phone, if its not going their way they all the sudden don't support compatibility.

I could understand not sporting a third party app but they can't use this as an ecxcuse to not support their own platform and justify messing up compatibility with Android apps due to their paranoia of people bypassing their tethering manager.

Further, what are the laws regarding packet inspection?

Last edited:

shnn2011

Nov 25, 2011
Houston
Easy Workarounds

Disclaimer
This is meant to help those with issues they may be having running third party browsers on their phones. This information is not meant for the subversion of tethering detection by your service provider, and or the violation of your terms of service.

As was pointed out the User Agent String (UAString can be easily changed on the browser of choice. Although, a plugin is needed on chrome.

Apparently most versions of FireFox and Opera work fine, perhaps the UAStrings are the same as on the mobile versions?

Download link: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...XUjalz&usg=AFQjCNED4rpi3tE0I2o90jlPHLkCKbHjtA

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/user-agent-switcher/

And apparently Opera has a Built in UAString changer:
http://www.davidtan.org/how-to-change-opera-user-agent-string/

Please note:

If you change your UAString to an Android Browser UAstring, then you will usually only get the Mobile versions of the web pages you view. For most people changing the UAString to the standard FireFox UAString seems to work fine.

I hope this help everyone out.

Last edited:
Reactions: soccerdad

shnn2011

Nov 25, 2011
Houston
Another option to avoid thethering detection is using VPN. As long as your phone sends all data encrypted over the VPN, they won't be able to detect it.
Downside is, you need a VPN endpoint. This means you need to have a always-on device at home that can handle this OR you need to pay for a VPN account somewhere.

There is open source firmware for low power linksys routers that provides VPN functionality.

GorillaPimp

Jul 18, 2008
I wonder where the lines between illegal wiretapping and packet inspection are drawn.
On another note, I had my dolphin browser on my phone redirected to their ads because of the string I was using (iPad). They're doing a pretty shabby job of intercepting traffic accurately.
Vpn> I'd probably consider taxing them via exploiting data usage until I get them to sever the contract too.

All this is an effort to keep customers from using what they pay for, "unlimited" data.
We should probably answer back with a more serious response as a group, namely a coordinated effort to use every last byte of data transfer we're paying for each month. Frame the argument in terms consumers all understand. How much data/money are you wasting/giving away to Tmobile every month? You paid for it, be sure to use it! Tmo will love that.

Sent from Scott LaRock's TR808

catpunt

Apr 25, 2006
you don't need a plugin to change the user agent on desktop chrome, you can do it from developer tools. this is how to do it on mac:

view->developer->developer tools->little settings icon on the bottom-right of the window->override user agent

shnn2011

Nov 25, 2011
Houston
I understand that there many methods of changing the UserAgenyString, but the whole point is the poor consumer who has paid for service and is not tethering is getting screwed for using a third party browser which is by no means a violation of the service agreement. We need something simple. An app . . . Something that someone with limited knowledge can use to keep from being ripped off.

All this because the phone company is paranoid someone will hook up hardware that THEY PAID FOR to ANOTHER DEVICE THAT THEY OWN and UTILIZE THE BANDWIDTH THEY BOUGHT without paying an extra 15 dollars tax.

What is the 15 dollar tax for? Does T-mobile power your phones processor? If so why do you pay a power bill? Does T-mobile preform voodoo to enable the phone THAT YOU OWN to route packets? Nooooo ! ! !

Its like back in the old days when the phone company used to make you pay for the phones you use and fine you if you had additional or "unauthorized" handsets plugged in.

This move is flat out, FRIVOLOUS ! ! ! RIDICULOUS ! ! ! ASININE ! ! ! and TYRANIC ! ! !

We- as consumers must come up with methods to use our third party browsers . . . Without being accused of tethering and as a result blocked, blamed, and shamed by a company were paying for service.

Last edited:

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
I understand that there many methods of changing the UserAgenyString, but the whole point is the poor consumer who has paid for service and is not tethering is getting screwed for using a third party browser.

All this because the phone company is paranoid someone will hook up hardware that THEY PAID FOR to ANOTHER DEVICE THAT THEY OWN and UTILIZE THE BANDWIDTH THEY BOUGHT without paying an extra 15 dollars tax.

What is the 15 dollars for? Does T-mobile power your phones processor? If so why do you pay a power bill? Does T-mobile preform voodoo to enable your phone THAT YOU OWN route packets? Nooooo ! ! !

Its like back in the old days when phone companies used to make you pay for the phones you use and fine you if you had additional our "unauthorized" handsets.

This move is flat out, FRIVOLOUS ! ! ! RIDICULOUS ! ! ! ASININE ! ! ! and TYRANIC ! ! !

The whole point is to come up with a method to help consumers use their third party browsers . . . Without being accused of tethering and as a result blocked, blamed, and shamed.

The easiest thing would e for the browser developers to fix the issue. As long as it reports as a desktop client then they will see it as such and assume you are breaking your TOS. If the browsers reported it properly then it would not be an issue.

In the end what I have a feeling will happen is that data plans will increase in cost and have built in tethering. Even if you dont use tethering.

shnn2011

Nov 25, 2011
Houston
The easiest thing would e for the browser developers to fix the issue. As long as it reports as a desktop client then they will see it as such and assume you are breaking your TOS. If the browsers reported it properly then it would not be an issue.

In the end what I have a feeling will happen is that data plans will increase in cost and have built in tethering. Even if you dont use tethering.

Many new mobile browsers are fullblown browsers and for this reason there are complications. I am told that even the full blown ICS browser is being blocked.

The browsers are reporting their User Agent String properly. T-mobile is interpreting the User Agent Strings with ignorance.

Prices should go down as technology progresses. I think that eventually providers will drop the frivolous taxing of tethering.

Last edited:
Reactions: GorillaPimp

S1mSyo

Aug 15, 2010

To true... ^^

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9

To true... ^^

No they are worried that you will hook up a device and use the bandwith for a device that it was not intended for. I see posts like this all the time and no one bothers to read the TOS when they sign the contract. The TOS states that all data is for the device on the contract and no other with out a tethering plan.

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
How is this worrisome? Seems to me they're more worried about the implications of such use.

Think about it for a min. Most people are on Limited data plans. Then they tether to say a laptop (cause they saw they could on sites like this.) The laptop eats their data away in the blink of an eye. When he bill comes in the people are pissed and call the company to complain. They spend hours on the phone yelling at someone and making threats for something that was their fault. Then just to shut them up a manager may remove the charges. All of this cost the company money. Not to mention puts the company employees in a tuff spot. Either keep the Cx happy and remove the charges with risk of losing their job, or deal with someone that is pissed off enough though they have no right to be.

I have been in just that position many times over the past few years. Now I tell everyone. If you want to tether then get a plan for it.

thebobp

Feb 16, 2012
The laptop eats their data away in the blink of an eye.

You're either kidding or severely exaggerating (unless you're referring to one of those tiny, tiny plans, which are designed to try to make you go over and get charged overages anyway).

Computer browsers may use more data than mobile browsers, but not by that many orders of magnitude. The fact that some mobile browsers even identify themselves as computer browsers is testament to this.

If you're talking about people going haywire by tethering and downloading gigabytes, then 1) they kinda deserve it, but 2) [and much more importantly] they can do it on the phone anyway, as demonstrated by the guy who legitimately used 150GB in a month.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    READ THE UPDATE AT THE BOTTOM

IS T-MOBILE IN VIOLATION CITIZEN'S PRIVACY AND POSSIBLY THE LAW

Recently it has come to attention that T-mobile is blocking tethering based on the type of browser that you use.

HOW THE OLD HACK WORKED

T-Mobile tethering can usually be subverted with a "rooted" phone by freezing or uninstalling the Tethering Manager app that usually prevents tethering unless you pay for it. Basically, the On/Off switch was in the users handset. Many users were using this trick and gaining tethering without paying for it until recently.

WHAT CHANGED ? ? ?

Apparently, T-Mobile decided to fix this by intelligently eavesdropping on all web communications of its customers looking for the field of data in your request which identifies the type of browser that you use.

Then based on your web browser (if you use a browser identified as one that does not generally run on a mobile device) they deny access by redirecting you to their page where the advertise their additional tethering service.

PRETTY SOLID EVIDENCE

So the question is how this can be proven. Simple grab one of those "rooted" phones that used to work, and tether them to one another them using wireless. Since the the phones are both is using a mobile browser, (the same browser) then T-Mobile wont be able to tell the difference so you can tether all you want. You are now using one phones internet connection through the other.

Now tether to a P.C. using wireless and use Chrome . . . if it works it will be for only a little while before you are denied service and redirected to T-Mobiles page advertising tethering services.

THE SIGNIFICANT QUESTIONS AT HAND

So now that we know that T-Mobile is monitoring our web communications what are the social and ethical implications. Their basically saying since your using our service we will look at what your doing when ever we want.

Really?

-What else are you looking at and logging T-Mobile?

-What does the law say about this?

-In the U.S. what does the F.C.C. have to say about this?

-Is this a moral practice?

-How do customers feel about being spied on by their trusted service provider?

-Why would we pay to unblock something that we have already purchased?

WHAT HAS T-MOBILE ACHIEVED BY DOING THIS

Its not like T-Mobile will actually achieve anything for long (A few days at most before a wide spread workaround). People smart enough to root their phones are also smart enough to get around this, as I will discuss this is not even an obstacle.

T-MOBILES GREAT UNSPOKEN ANNOUNCEMENT

All that T-Mobile achieved by doing this is tell the world a little more about how deeply they are watching what their beloved customers are doing at all times.

THE WORKAROUND

Please bear with me if you are technically inclined, I am trying to make this simple so it could be understood by all.

A simple app that intercept the request of the tethered device and intelligently scans and strips the field of data identifying the requesting browser as anything other that the stock authorized android browser then replaces this data to make it appear that is was the authorized stock mobile browser making the request.

The app would then make the appropriate changes to the data received for the request and make the appropriate changes for the tethered browser to understand and route if over to that browser.

That's it, undetectable tether again ! ! !

I'm looking forward to hearing your answers.
    Thanks

* * * * * * * U P D A T E * * * * * * *

I have posted some easy workarounds from my posts below for easy access.

This is not meant for, or in any way advocating violating your TOS. This is to get third party browsers, Browsers running in Virtual Machienes on your phone . . . to work. However I cannot tell you what to do; so use your judgment. I am not responsible for any misuse of this information.

Method 1 Changing the User Agent String of your browser:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/djflhoibgkdhkhhcedjiklpkjnoahfmg <-Updated the dead link

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...gent-switcher/

And apparently, Opera has a Built in UAString changer:
    http://www.davidtan.org/how-to-chang...-agent-string/

Please note:

Method 2 Using a VPN:

Many programs are available which provide VPN (Virtual Private Network) access to your home network. Using these tools an encrypted connection between your phone and home network will be established. As a result T-Mobiles eavesdropping techniques will not be able to decipher the data between you and your home network. Once a connection has been established with your home network, then your Internet requests can be relayed through your home Internet connection . . . If you don not have a home Internet connection, then there are many services available that provide an Internet gateway for you to VPN into.

Some of the available options include:

Using your home PC or MAC as your own VPN server:

http://www.openvpn.net

Using a power efficient home router as a VPN server, using either the factory firmware, and if unsupported using a custom firmware:

The Linksys WRT-54G Router, an affordable classic:
    images
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=wrt+54g

A powerful custom firmware supporting many routers:
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

*******List of Issues As Reported by Many Customers*******​

1. Many third party browsers and many browsers running in a virtualised operating system are being blocked and the innocent user is being accused of tethering,in some reported cases, even the ICS web browser.

2. T-mobile refuses to fix this by stating that the Web Browser is not supported (3rd party) when one of their main selling points is Multimedia and apps and a Working TCP / IP interface for applications and is seemingly deliberately casting blame on the third party app when in fact it is T-Mobile that is spoofing and redirecting the application due to overly paranoid, ineffective,abusive and despotic counter measure aimed at people who break TOS via tethering.

3. The privacy of the user is violated due to intelligent packet sniffing on their wireless internet communications. Furthermore, the scope of monitoring is unknown, and there are many privacy concerns such as why System Manager continues to run in the background even when the user opts out of Carrier IQ and how deep it is capable of monitoring.

4. Many people who signed contracts for data plans claim they never agreed to pay any extra fee for tethering and claim that they are no longer bound to T-Mobile's contract due to this violation.

5. People on prepay plans are now denied tethering when the allowance of tethering implied continued tethering service.

6. Some prepay customers claim they purchased a month of service, or perhaps more and were provided with tethering for only part of their service period before T-mobile stopped providing part of the service (tethering) that they had already sold without refunding the customers for the nonexistent service the had payed for.

7. It has been reported that when T-Mobile throttles users ,who have gone over their high speed bandwidth allowance, to 3G speeds customers are not throttled to the ITU spec 3G speed. Instead most people report being limited to an average of about 119kbps.

8. It is further reported that throttling seems to discriminate against users who purchase more high speed data allowance and have reached their limit. For instance, A customer who purchases 2GB of high speed data and has uses it all up may be capped to about 119kbps in contrast to a customer who purchased 5GB of data who may be capped to a much lower and nearly unusable speed. Many people have reported this sort of discriminatory throttling. So, it seems that the more you pay T-Mobile and buy services, then commit the horrible act of using the service that you have paid for, you are punished.

Of interest:

da-pharoah has brought to our attention a free app that is supposed to bypass tethering restrictions with no need for root access, proving once more that T-Mobile's measures were frivolous, and ineffective. Their measures don't prevent people who want to tether from doing so; that has been proven over and over again. Their methods only hurt and shame their valued innocent customers who are accused of tethering.

The app is called Foxfi and its free

Thank you da-pharoah

This test shows that T-Mobile may be trying to punish people who purchase higher bandwidth and actually use it.

The following screenshot is from a phone that is running a stock firmware and has deliberately, and legitimately used the full 5GB high speed allowance for the month.

d03620a9-df7d-7bda.jpg

As you can see on a throttled 5GB plan the connection seems to be, at best, about 60kbps. Please note that this is with a pretty good connection. Most people claim an average of about 119kbps on a throttled 2GB plan. Since this seems to be the case, this shows that T-Mobile is discriminating against their higher paying customers and is punishing them for using the full amount of bandwidth the purchased. It seems that the more you purchase and use the more you are punished.

It was reported by a customer care representative, that the throttling should bring a customer down to a speed, much less than 60kbps regardless of the type of plan, and that those experiencing higher speeds should feel "lucky."

The problem is that this 60k seems to only be acquired with an optimal signal level and while stationary. It is reported that most of the time the speed drops down so low and the latency becomes so high that almost all internet requests are timed out.

The aforementioned scenario would make the advertised unlimited internet access, in actuality, very limited, and the user of a throttled 5GB plan would then not be receiving the service that was advertised, or that they payed for. At that point the internet service is quite useless and nearly nonexistent, when in fact a working low speed internet service is advertised for those who have reached their high speed data cap.

UPDATE

This document is for information purposes only. I do not advocate violating your contract terms or any illegal activity. you assume full liability and responsibility for the use of this information.​

Many people have reported to me that their tethering no longer works even after killing the tethering manager.
    Many have asked me to look into this, here are my findings:

It seems that T-Mobile has implemented a new hidden APN in their ROMs. When you activate tethering, your connected devices seem to be routed through a different APN than your phone uses which is where the block is, if you have not paid the tax.

The answer:

A. For users:

Create a new APN name called "Tethering" and copy the information from your T-Mobile APN to it. There is no need to activate this APN. Immediately after doing so you should regain your full connection. Tested on a SGH-T989 (T-Mobile SGS 2) and reported to work.

B. Mostly for ROM authors:
    Edit the appropriate configuration files and change all APNs (usually "epc.pcweb.com") to "epc.tmobile.com" or any other working APN such as MVNO APNs ("simple" . . .)

All test reports submitted to me report this is working and that my theory was accurate.

T-Mobile is not saying in the TOS you cannot use your data. You pay for it, they'll deliver it. They only try to limit what devices are connected to their network. I'm not necessarily in favor of that. But I also don't think they owe anyone unlimited tethering.

Registered Linux user #266531. Android user since v1.0.

I haven't seen anyone arguing for free uncapped data beyond the threshold they already pay for. I've only seen people arguing that charging extra for data already paid for, 5GB for example, just because you're tethered, is BS. It's a money grab to add extra fees and keep utilization of bandwidth below what people already pay for. Like many companies, they sell services they couldn't possibly provide if every customer actually used what they purchased.

The arguments some are making with the take it or leave it stuff are ignorant. The only way we make progress in many aspects of life is to voice our concerns when we have problems and try to amicably come to an understanding on how to solve them. I'm sure Tmo would rather hear complaints than lose customers. Don't pay any attention to those trying to quiet your concerns. They'll be the first to utilize the gains you make if the number of customer complaints rises to a level Tmobile can no longer ignore. They're like people criticizing unions on their coffee break.

Personally, I've received $1500 off a two line family plan and I have access to the fastest network in my area. I also have coverage decent enough to get through the brick in my home, something no other carrier can do in my area. I am happy with Tmo (though that can change after 5 minutes on the phone with them) That doesn't mean they are perfect or can't improve their services. Just like Tmobile, I'm always looking to lower operating costs ;)
    TOS? You mean the thing that arbitrarily is changed by carriers with minimal notifications to consumers and even less notification that any change to it is a breach of contract and frees customers from being bound to their prior contract?

Corporate shills masquerading as thoughtful or serious consumers are a joke.

Tethering charges without use of any special Tmo software or hardware is theft and fraud. Imagine paying extra to use a fax machine or modem on your POTS lines. The carriers have no legitimate argument beyond charging those who use their custom hardware and software, which excludes 3rd party apps and built-in android features.

Sent from Scott LaRock's TR808
    As for do I expect everyone to read the TOS before they agree to something? Yup. Because if they dont they cant blame anyone other then themselves.

You read the question slightly wrongly: I'm not asking if you think they're obligated to, but whether you think it's practical (kind of like whether it was practical for everyone to give up alcohol during prohibition).

In that example, even though, sure, it was against the law, the law was still a very, very bad idea.

I dont have the money or backing to start my own so I must use someone elses. Which means playing by their rules.

I think this is kind of a naive reading of contract law, so I will explain after all why I don't find it to be (always) legally binding.

Let's say two people sign a contract for a small amount. One of them breaks it. Then it's easily possible that the other person could sue in a court of law and get recompense, but the cost of doing so would far exceed what he would get back. Effectively, the other person has gotten away with it.

In other words, contracts are only as binding as the parties are able and willing to enforce them.

Indeed, this is the essence of civil vs criminal liability. Criminal law is punished "just because" it is so bad. But civil law is punished only when the wronged party has the incentive to punish.

That is, even if tethering is "illegal" on paper (and I use "illegal" at a stretch, because when we say that we usually mean something criminal) does not mean it's "illegal" in practice. A law that is not enforced is effectively legalized. You know there are a bunch of outdated laws in the books, right?

[For that matter, there are more laws in the books than anyone can effectively read in our lifetime. The irony is that the government comes up with tens of thousands of pages of additional TOS every year, that no one can possibly be expected to read, not even you.]

In the case of tethering, the carriers aren't inclined to severe punishment. The worst that usually happens is that you're throttled and moved to a tiered plan. (And, in the past, t-mobile didn't even bother to enforce it.) Case closed.

My point: you can't possibly equate the legality of such a "crime" to, murdering someone, for instance. Some things are "more illegal" than others. Tethering ranks among the "least" illegal things.