[Q] POLL: Verizon Galaxy Nexus In-Call Microphone Issue - Location Map

Vote for your state ONLY IF you have this issue and you live in the state's capital

• Alabama

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alaska

• Arizona

• Arkansas

• California

Votes: 11 12.2%
  • Colorado

Votes: 11 12.2%
  • Connecticut

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Delaware

• Florida

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Georgia

• Hawaii

• Idaho

• Illinois

• Indiana

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Iowa

• Kansas

• Kentucky

• Louisiana

• Maine

• Maryland

• Massachusetts

• Michigan

• Minnesota

Votes: 16 17.8%
  • Mississippi

• Missouri

• Montana

• Nebraska

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Nevada

• New Hampshire

• New Jersey

• New Mexico

• New York

• North Carolina

Votes: 19 21.1%
  • North Dakota

• Ohio

• Oklahoma

• Oregon

• Pennsylvania

• Rhode Island

• South Carolina

• South Dakota

• Tennessee

• Texas

• Utah

• Vermont

• Virginia

• Washington

• West Virginia

• Wisconsin

• Wyoming

• Total voters
Search This thread

cguella

Mar 23, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Prefer to Jinx Myself

Since these updates no muted mic issue (Update happened again a few times no fix here):

Verizon Galaxy Nexus (Since available)
AOKP 4.0.4 Milestone 5 (Over a week now)
Flashed new radios FC05 (Two days)
Charlotte, NC

Last edited:

cguella

Mar 23, 2011
Charlotte, NC
What could It Be ????

to summarize:
- Not 4G - since it happens on 3g
- Not headphone routing issue - happened with the switcher widget in place
- Not Wifi/3g/4g switching - happened with 3g only
- Not provisioning - VZW reprovisioned my device 2x
- Not hardware from China or Korea - Both have had the issue
- Not root/stock issue - Both seem to get it
- Not radio version issue - so far all radio flashes have not fixed it
- Not 4.0.2 4.0.4 issue - it has happened to both custom ROM or stock
What else is there? Fundamental hardware defect? Software defect?

ohumad

Oct 8, 2009
I too have had this problem, located in St. Paul, MN. Its happened less than 5 times I would guess, still really annoying. All calls took place around St. Paul. Running stock Galaxy Nexus from VZW with LTE switched off.

loraque

Jan 18, 2010
I too have had this problem, located in St. Paul, MN. Its happened less than 5 times I would guess, still really annoying. All calls took place around St. Paul. Running stock Galaxy Nexus from VZW with LTE switched off.

I just got called from the wife, who reported this problem. St Paul also. It would certainly seem that the region DOES have something to do with it... the spread on the votes is not much of a spread- Focus of issues in MN and NC does not make sense on pop distribution. I did try disabling her Voice Privacy setting in the dialer as another thread said this mitigated it. It also does seem that it is either a software issue, or some problem perhaps with the local networks in some areas?

How can there be so many votes for MN and not for CA or NY for example? Having a hard time with that being coincidence.

We are using the new radios and CM9.

matt30

Jan 16, 2011
Ithaca, NY
How can there be so many votes for MN and not for CA or NY for example? Having a hard time with that being coincidence.

We are using the new radios and CM9.

It's probably a problem with the way the poll is set up. A bunch of people live in St. Paul but not many people live in Sacramento or Albany - the capital of CA and NY.

bangdrum

Jan 21, 2011
I'm in Sacramento, and I have this happen every day.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

adjuster11

May 29, 2012
Lakewood
Not giving me the warm fuzzies.

I recently dumped stock 4.0.2 and went with AOKP build 37, with imm76 radios. I'm still getting this one way audio issue. Just disabled NFC, and 4G, to see if that might work.

I hope someone finds an answer, but cguella appears to be way ahead of me in his search.

to summarize:

Reactions: Dan76

pchoi94

Dec 23, 2009
Hi folks,

Just wanted to report back that I traveled to Houston for a week on a business trip and did not have the issue happen once. I also had full bars on 3G most of the time (there wasn't any 4G where I was staying, which was way north of Houston actually).

Got back home to Denver (Boulder area) where I have around 2 bars and the issue has happened a couple of times so far. Would be interesting to see how much reception affects this as well.

People might assume that 2 bars is "good enough" but maybe with the radios on the Gnex (compared to Motorola, for example), it just doesn't cut the mustard?

On a side note, I also noticed that my battery lasted twice as long, which is expected. My radio signal was around -75dmn in Houston, whereas it is around -105dmn in Denver area.

hmm, I may set up another poll to track the issue per signal strength...

adjuster11

May 29, 2012
Lakewood
I'm wondering if it's region related, since I'm in Lakewood, just on the West side of Denver. The only place I travel is in state, so I don't get to find out if it "works" somewhere else.

Good point though!

jkc120

Sep 8, 2010
I really think this is regional.

I think I'm going to contact the California State Attorney General and FTC about this. Verizon continues to deflect and wants to replace devices, when it's been clearly shown people's replacements have the same problem.

Maybe if enough of us complain to the FTC and our local state AG we'll get some response from them... :(

---------- Post added at 11:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

I've had it happen at my work's parking lot with full 4G bars @ like -75 dBm and perfect 3G service as well. I don't think it's (entirely) signal related.

Reactions: Dan76

Dan76

Dec 3, 2008
Asheville
Even after 4.0.4? My experience after the update has been incredibly better... although it's only been six days.

Manos Lijeros

Jun 18, 2010
regional

It may be regional... I do see the poll shows 22% in NC affected, low 10s in Colorado and California, and in between in Minn.

Bob Egan suggested there may be some issue with the reverse channel communication. I am working on this via twitter (I've tweeted to 30 Internet luminaries (Bob Egan, Google Execs, Verizon CIO & PR staff, writers, etc...).

Verizon Support is all over me know... The last thing they asked me to do (since I have the 4.0.4 update) was to run it in safe mode to see if the issue happens in Safe Mode. Bottom line... The issue is still here in safe mode.

I am updating my issue and my quest to solve this issue at 2-sidedcoin.blogspot.com. I tweet under ManosLijeros, and I'm active over the last three days (that is where this issue is located).

Dan76

Dec 3, 2008
Asheville
It may be regional... I do see the poll shows 22% in NC affected, low 10s in Colorado and California, and in between in Minn.

Bob Egan suggested there may be some issue with the reverse channel communication. I am working on this via twitter (I've tweeted to 30 Internet luminaries (Bob Egan, Google Execs, Verizon CIO & PR staff, writers, etc...).

Verizon Support is all over me know... The last thing they asked me to do (since I have the 4.0.4 update) was to run it in safe mode to see if the issue happens in Safe Mode. Bottom line... The issue is still here in safe mode.

I am updating my issue and my quest to solve this issue at 2-sidedcoin.blogspot.com. I tweet under ManosLijeros, and I'm active over the last three days (that is where this issue is located).

It's most certainly regional. If you've seen these other threads:

Poor Quality Control
4.0.4 Update
Mic cutting out problem

You'll see that many of us have a theory is that the Galaxy Nexus will lose outgoing audio (or crackle, pop, whatever) on many VZW LTE towers in certain areas of the US, likely due to poor or old tower technology. Or possibly due to the companies that did contract work on certain towers.

Obviously those towers work, it's just an incompatibility of those towers with the specific radio in the Galaxy Nexus (which is unique among all verizon phones).

Jep0

Feb 10, 2011
Samsung Charge has same issue

I just replaced my Samsung Charge (after 3 Charge replacements) with the Galaxy Nexus through Verizon. The Charge has the exact same issue as the Nexus with mic-drop. I have experienced this for quite a while now. It starts once in a while on long calls then becomes more frequent with shortest call time around 2 minutes.

I have had this Nexus for almost a week now and it's doing the same thing. I went to the Verizon store, and of course they were very suprised to here about this issue. Lol. they did say it might be bad towers in the area. I live in Reno, NV. This never happened with my Samsung Omnia or Omnia II. The only true fix that I have seen out of this is someone switching over to a Razr Maxx. I would rather not do that if I don't have to.

Does anyone know if the Charge and the Nexus share the same radio?

shadowstewie

Dec 30, 2011
Buena Park, CA
I live in Orange County, California.

My girlfriend and I both have the VZW GNex, both on AOKP Milestone 5, switching between Franco and Lean Kernel, with the 4.0.4 official radios flashed.

We hear a scratching/robotic noise when the other person talks on the phone. Its happened to us talking to each other as well as us talking to other people. It happens randomly.

Any ideas?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA

Reactions: comk4ver

jkc120

Sep 8, 2010
I just replaced my Samsung Charge (after 3 Charge replacements) with the Galaxy Nexus through Verizon. The Charge has the exact same issue as the Nexus with mic-drop. I have experienced this for quite a while now. It starts once in a while on long calls then becomes more frequent with shortest call time around 2 minutes.

I have had this Nexus for almost a week now and it's doing the same thing. I went to the Verizon store, and of course they were very suprised to here about this issue. Lol. they did say it might be bad towers in the area. I live in Reno, NV. This never happened with my Samsung Omnia or Omnia II. The only true fix that I have seen out of this is someone switching over to a Razr Maxx. I would rather not do that if I don't have to.

Does anyone know if the Charge and the Nexus share the same radio?

I'm not certain, but I think they are both VIA (for 3G/1x) but the Nexus has a newer version of it...

pchoi94

Dec 23, 2009
I live in Orange County, California.

My girlfriend and I both have the VZW GNex, both on AOKP Milestone 5, switching between Franco and Lean Kernel, with the 4.0.4 official radios flashed.

We hear a scratching/robotic noise when the other person talks on the phone. Its happened to us talking to each other as well as us talking to other people. It happens randomly.

Any ideas?

i think that's a different issue that the one this thread is about, but to answer your question that just happens from time to time, probably just a bad connection... how often does it happen?

pchoi94

Dec 23, 2009
wanted to chime in again here, I'm the OP of this thread:

I live in Colorado, where I've had the issue a lot, but for the past 3 or 4 weeks i've been staying with family in the Los Angeles area in California, also visiting friends and family in Orange County: Irvine, Huntington Beach, Palos Verdes, La Palma, etc.

We also drove cross country from Colorado to California for this trip.

Anyway, the entire time I've been here (and for the entire road trip on the way here) I have not had the issue once. Not a single time. It was happening to me about 1/4 to 1/3 of the time back home in Colorado.

I've used the phone in areas with excellent coverage, as well as marginal coverage, and I never had the issue on this trip. But I'm sure when I get back home to CO I will have it happen again. I also travel for work, have been to several other states, i.e Houston area in Texas, Seattle area in Washington, and never had the issue, but whenever I got back home to CO it would start happening again.

Just more info...

Last edited:

JFMFT

Aug 26, 2010
I live in NC and me and my boyfriend both have trouble with the mic cutting out on our GNex's. We're replacing them with GS3's as soon as the phones we pre-ordered ship out to us.

We've had the mic cutting out issue since we got the GNex on launch day last fall/winter. We spent some time in Ohio last December and never had the issue once. I have tried every single radio combination on both phones, nearly every ROM/ROM revision, and just about every tweak/setting possible and we continue to have problems here.

Just lending additional credibility to the theory that it's the towers and the specific radio in the Galaxy Nexus. Too bad, it's an amazing phone otherwise, but the poor radio and its susceptibility to losing outbound audio on certain towers (especially in my area) makes the phone completely useless to me.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi folks,

Just wanted to report back that I traveled to Houston for a week on a business trip and did not have the issue happen once. I also had full bars on 3G most of the time (there wasn't any 4G where I was staying, which was way north of Houston actually).

Got back home to Denver (Boulder area) where I have around 2 bars and the issue has happened a couple of times so far. Would be interesting to see how much reception affects this as well.

People might assume that 2 bars is "good enough" but maybe with the radios on the Gnex (compared to Motorola, for example), it just doesn't cut the mustard?

On a side note, I also noticed that my battery lasted twice as long, which is expected. My radio signal was around -75dmn in Houston, whereas it is around -105dmn in Denver area.

Try watching how u hold the phone I'm seriose since I changed the way I hold the phone this is a non issue your prolly plugging the microphone

I realize you're trying to help, but you really don't understand the issue. The OP really didn't describe it properly, as it's not a "microphone" problem, but rather an "outbound audio" problem. I use mine at work as a speakerphone with it sitting on my desk, and I lose outbound audio all the time. Others have the problem with a bluetooth headset. I don't doubt that there are some people who have had an issue with covering the microphone hole, but that is not what this thread is about. This is an ongoing issue that people have been troubleshooting for months, and Verizon/Samsung is supposedly working on a software fix to resolve it (I'm not holding my breath).
    I just got off the phone with Tech Support about this.

The Level 2 agent found an internal support document about the problem and read me what it said for the fix.... It says that the upcoming software release is going to cover this. It goes on to say that the tentative (dammit) release date for the software release is late March.

I don't want to trade in the new phone that I've babied since day 1 for a refurb of unknown quality if a fix is coming within the next couple of weeks.

If they don't release the update soon (which wouldn't surprise me at all), I'll probably just flash a new ROM & radio.
    New phone, same problem

I am re-posting this from the thread at google (I posted this yesterday there so that's why the time difference). This is my current status.

Ok here we go....

I got my original Nexus in December of last year. It had the outbound audio issue and I dealt with it as best I could. However last week, my speaker blew out.

I went to VZW and they over nighted me a replacement phone. Manufactured at the end of February this year. The phone was shipped with 4.02 on it. I unlocked and rooted the phone and installed the full leaked 4.04 on top of it. I installed no other apps than twitter, chrome and draw something. Things seemed to be working fine through a handful of phone calls.

About 20 min ago the outbound audio issue reared its ugly head.

Now being that today is Monday this is my first day with this phone in the office (I worked from home on Friday when I got the device). I work in area right on the edge of a 4G network and have Wi-Fi in my building. This means I am handing off between wifi, 3G and 4G all day long. Someone above mentioned this as a possible cause to the issue so I wanted to say that if this is the case, I am on board with having to handoff all the time.​

Is this the case for anyone else with the issue? Are you doing a lot of lte/3g/wifi handoffs?

I have set my phone for 3G only and rebooted to see if I get this issue sometime this week. I will post any updates.
    Not giving me the warm fuzzies.

I recently dumped stock 4.0.2 and went with AOKP build 37, with imm76 radios. I'm still getting this one way audio issue. Just disabled NFC, and 4G, to see if that might work.

I hope someone finds an answer, but cguella appears to be way ahead of me in his search.

to summarize: