Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,095 Members 40,959 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HTC one x at&t and google wallet

Tip us?

Evangelion01
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryH_GEG View Post
You're exactly right. The unlocked GN which is not an AT&T phone works with GW and the One X which is an AT&T phone doesn't. The reason the GN works is only because AT&T allows it to, I'm guessing under pressure from Google, MasterCard, Citibank, or some combination of the three.

Google can't make AT&T allow GW support on any of their branded phones. The international One X has a security token, is unlocked, and still can't connect to GW because AT&T's blocking it. And why would Google have updated GW for a phone that's not even out yet and not one in people's hands if they did intend to provide support for it? Sprint provides support for GW on all their NFC equipped phones. Sprint was also the carrier launch partner for GW in the U.S.

http://www.intomobile.com/2011/05/24...hone-near-you/

I think we're all pretty much screwed as far as being able to use GW on AT&T.
This is STILL false. It is the One X which is not supported by google wallet. Even if you were to use a T-Mobile sim (T-Mobile allow their phones to run Wallet) in the One X, Google Wallet would still not work, because Google have not yet added support for the One X.

Also, it's not a case of at&t blocking Google Wallet traffic on their network, as you had previously suggested. Wallet does not actually need a data connection to complete transactions. The application simply checks the device ID and the sim network ID.

jonshipman
Old
Thanks Meter 31
I still don't know why we need carrier support (One X on T-Mo). Can't it just use TCP/IP? Hell, Google should make it would on Sim-less devices over wifi!

LoveNFC
Old
Thanks Meter 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonshipman View Post
I still don't know why we need carrier support (One X on T-Mo). Can't it just use TCP/IP? Hell, Google should make it would on Sim-less devices over wifi!
The network agreements aren't for data. As mentioned above, Wallet does not need a data connection to make payments.

Google bends over for networks in America because they are the main distribution channel over there. These networks have their own NFC payment services being developed, so they don't want Google eating into their potential profits. Google always obeys because, unlike Apple, they don't have bargaining power. Google needs the networks to get their phones into as many hands as possible. The networks don't necessarily need Google.

This is part of the reason why Google are further exploring the option of selling their devices directly to consumers.

foxbat121
Old
Thanks Meter 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonshipman View Post
Same reason Google Voice app still uses your cell voice minutes instead of VoIP. Google is not going to piss off carriers.

chillsen
Old
Thanks Meter 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGSII View Post
AT&T has a vested interest in ISIS, so yeah don't count on GW working ever.
ugh this just depressed the hell out of me bc i just created a google wallet account. blahhhh

tehdef
Old
Thanks Meter 146
Have a pending FCC complaint for anti competition relating to forced use on consumer. My example is windows bundled with IE and only recently providing browser choice. They called today and said they are investigating.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tehdef For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

galfert
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdef View Post
Have a pending FCC complaint for anti competition relating to forced use on consumer. My example is windows bundled with IE and only recently providing browser choice. They called today and said they are investigating.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium
I don't see how the FCC would have jurisdiction on this matter. Perhaps you should have called the FTC.
Phone: Nexus 5
Tablet: Nexus 10

rohan32
Old
Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 5036

DONATE TO ME
Paul O'Brien got it working for all versions of the HOX:
https://twitter.com/PaulOBrien/statu...67919590957056

He said he should be able to upload the .apk tomorrow! Can't wait
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rohan32 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

profchaos
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan32 View Post
Paul O'Brien got it working for all versions of the HOX:
https://twitter.com/PaulOBrien/statu...67919590957056

He said he should be able to upload the .apk tomorrow! Can't wait

http://www.modaco.com/topic/354635-r...pk-11-r63-v12/

I can't get it to work on mine, still getting the insecure element error message.

futuregerald
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by profchaos View Post
http://www.modaco.com/topic/354635-r...pk-11-r63-v12/

I can't get it to work on mine, still getting the insecure element error message.
Same here. someone posted on his thread Google Wallet needs keys in order to access the secure element of the device and it doesn't have them. I don't know if this is something that we can get or we're just SOL on the wallet front.
HTC Wizard - retired
HTC Tytn - retired
iPhone 3G - retired
iPhone 3GS - retired
Nexus One - retired
Motorola Atrix -retired
Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket - retired
Sony Xperia Play - current
HTC One XL - retired
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - retired
HTC One - current
-----------