Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

How Not To Brick Your E4GT (UPDATED 10/13/12)

OP xST4T1K

23rd May 2012, 03:59 AM   |  #241  
Thanks Meter: 716

1,405 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoboot

and to install Venom rom from Rom manager

Rom Manager and E4GT doesn't belong in the same post !

Going back to Gingerbread should be done from ODIN, whether you wish to use a tar or grab a one click. Flashing at this point should be done from gingerbread as far as custom ics roms go, stock as well but you have one clicks for those.
The Following User Says Thank You to RainMotorsports For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd May 2012, 04:06 AM   |  #242  
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMotorsports

Rom Manager and E4GT doesn't belong in the same post !

Going back to Gingerbread should be done from ODIN, whether you wish to use a tar or grab a one click. Flashing at this point should be done from gingerbread as far as custom ics roms go, stock as well but you have one clicks for those.

I see well I won't use Rom manager anymore...Truthfully the only reason I was using it was using it in the first place was it was an easier way to boot into CWM since my case is finnicky w/ the volume rocker. I'm a bit new at this obviously. Given that I tried to wipe don't seem to have succeeded and everything seems to be fine, is it safe to presume I should be fairly safe in one-clicking back to Gingerbread? Or should I wait?
23rd May 2012, 04:17 AM   |  #243  

1,405 posts
More
Quote:

I see well I won't use Rom manager anymore...Truthfully the only reason I was using it was using it in the first place was it was an easier way to boot into CWM since my case is finnicky w/ the volume rocker. I'm a bit new at this obviously. Given that I tried to wipe don't seem to have succeeded and everything seems to be fine, is it safe to presume I should be fairly safe in one-clicking back to Gingerbread? Or should I wait?

I am not actually sure what the total issue with rom manager is, but it has been said not to use it. I know part of the issue stems from the "fake/temp flash" issue because our recovery is repacked into the kernel. I have never had any success with gaining the temporary access using it so I have to take peoples word for it.

As far as booting into recovery easier from a running phone. Some custom roms have this in the power menu, Calkulin's 3.0 EL29 has it. Also lookup quick boot which is on Calk's rom its an app that lets you reboot to recovery. I dont think quick boot does download mode but many roms that have it in the power menu do.

As long as you can get into Download mode its safe to give it a shot. The one click is a prepackaged method of the same thing a technician would be doing to your phone if they had it at this point. Its THE safest way to leave ICS and the way to put the phone back to stock (rooted in this case).
23rd May 2012, 04:36 AM   |  #244  

3 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMotorsports

I am not actually sure what the total issue with rom manager is, but it has been said not to use it. I know part of the issue stems from the "fake/temp flash" issue because our recovery is repacked into the kernel. I have never had any success with gaining the temporary access using it so I have to take peoples word for it.

As far as booting into recovery easier from a running phone. Some custom roms have this in the power menu, Calkulin's 3.0 EL29 has it. Also lookup quick boot which is on Calk's rom its an app that lets you reboot to recovery. I dont think quick boot does download mode but many roms that have it in the power menu do.

As long as you can get into Download mode its safe to give it a shot. The one click is a prepackaged method of the same thing a technician would be doing to your phone if they had it at this point. Its THE safest way to leave ICS and the way to put the phone back to stock (rooted in this case).

I did have Blazer Rom before and that did indeed have the power function, it was nice. My hesitation is from my limited understanding of what's going on is attempting to wipe causes the problem, and in some cases from what I can tell it appears some people are failing in Odin, specifically because the problem was already created it seems. Although this version of ICS isn't my favorite, I vastly prefer it to a paperweight. In this thread there appears to be some progress being made, so that's why I was thinking perhaps I should wait it out. Then again I'm really not sure. I may give a crack at some of that serial # stuff they're talking about in the other thread and see just how at risk I am. I haven't really tried the dev tools yet anyway......
23rd May 2012, 04:45 AM   |  #245  

1,405 posts
More
The wipe occurs when installing a rom, kernel, or doing a factory reset on a current ICS kernel of any kind, stock, stock unsecured, cwm. Data seems to be the one hit all the time but technically with factory reset the Cache partition is also a possible victim. The kernel issues a command to the eMMC but the eMMC firmware that actually does the wipe is bugged and randomly corrupts the low level area of memory.

Last I word I heard (posted by sfhub on the 1tth) was using Calkulin's format all was safe. But I feel like you wondering about the full versus no data one clicks? ODIN is fine do not worry about ODIN.
23rd May 2012, 04:55 AM   |  #246  
Flag Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 715

3,019 posts
More
Quote:

If you have problems booting into recovery,just dl Quick Boot app from play store.
29th May 2012, 10:39 PM   |  #247  

1 posts
If I want to flash from aokp to cm9, what is the right way? Should I do the one click Odin to el29, flash cm7 and then cm9?
30th May 2012, 07:52 AM   |  #248  
Reno, NV
Thanks Meter: 48

192 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jy2003

If I want to flash from aokp to cm9, what is the right way? Should I do the one click Odin to el29, flash cm7 and then cm9?

ODIN EL29, then boot immediately to recovery. Wipe data, dalvik, and cache. Flash cm9 and gapps, reboot. Should be good to go.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA
31st May 2012, 03:44 PM   |  #249  
Thanks Meter: 1,732

4,411 posts
Thanks for this guide! One question I have is regarding flashing back to Gingerbread if wanting to switch from ICS to ICS ROM's. Theoretically, could I just restore my rooted stock back up in CWM and then flash a new ROM?

Sorry if this is a very n00bish question. Coming from the LG Optimus, a lot of this is like learning a new language. I'm sure it will come quickly though.
31st May 2012, 08:43 PM   |  #250  
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Flag Chi-town
Thanks Meter: 7,846

4,792 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs2011

Thanks for this guide! One question I have is regarding flashing back to Gingerbread if wanting to switch from ICS to ICS ROM's. Theoretically, could I just restore my rooted stock back up in CWM and then flash a new ROM?

Sorry if this is a very n00bish question. Coming from the LG Optimus, a lot of this is like learning a new language. I'm sure it will come quickly though.

Better to ask than not - you'll want to use an ODIN flash (separate kernel or one-click, either OK) to get back to GB for the time being. Once there you can use CWM to flash back to an ICS ROM.

The Following User Says Thank You to garwynn For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread