Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,045 Members 38,121 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How Not To Brick Your E4GT (UPDATED 10/13/12)

Tip us?

RainMotorsports
Old
Thanks Meter 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoboot View Post
and to install Venom rom from Rom manager
Rom Manager and E4GT doesn't belong in the same post !

Going back to Gingerbread should be done from ODIN, whether you wish to use a tar or grab a one click. Flashing at this point should be done from gingerbread as far as custom ics roms go, stock as well but you have one clicks for those.
Current Phone Nexus 5 | Black 311 | CyanogenMod 11 | T-Mobile
Old Phone Galaxy SII Epic 4G Touch | CyanogenMod 11 | FI25 Modem
Desktop i5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz | ASUS P8Z68-V PRO | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X750
MSI GTX570 TF III @ 950/1900/2300 | 2TB 5900 + 2X320GB 7200 RAID0 | Zalman CNPS9900 MAX
The Following User Says Thank You to RainMotorsports For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dynoboot
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMotorsports View Post
Rom Manager and E4GT doesn't belong in the same post !

Going back to Gingerbread should be done from ODIN, whether you wish to use a tar or grab a one click. Flashing at this point should be done from gingerbread as far as custom ics roms go, stock as well but you have one clicks for those.
I see well I won't use Rom manager anymore...Truthfully the only reason I was using it was using it in the first place was it was an easier way to boot into CWM since my case is finnicky w/ the volume rocker. I'm a bit new at this obviously. Given that I tried to wipe don't seem to have succeeded and everything seems to be fine, is it safe to presume I should be fairly safe in one-clicking back to Gingerbread? Or should I wait?

RainMotorsports
Old
Thanks Meter 709
Quote:
I see well I won't use Rom manager anymore...Truthfully the only reason I was using it was using it in the first place was it was an easier way to boot into CWM since my case is finnicky w/ the volume rocker. I'm a bit new at this obviously. Given that I tried to wipe don't seem to have succeeded and everything seems to be fine, is it safe to presume I should be fairly safe in one-clicking back to Gingerbread? Or should I wait?
I am not actually sure what the total issue with rom manager is, but it has been said not to use it. I know part of the issue stems from the "fake/temp flash" issue because our recovery is repacked into the kernel. I have never had any success with gaining the temporary access using it so I have to take peoples word for it.

As far as booting into recovery easier from a running phone. Some custom roms have this in the power menu, Calkulin's 3.0 EL29 has it. Also lookup quick boot which is on Calk's rom its an app that lets you reboot to recovery. I dont think quick boot does download mode but many roms that have it in the power menu do.

As long as you can get into Download mode its safe to give it a shot. The one click is a prepackaged method of the same thing a technician would be doing to your phone if they had it at this point. Its THE safest way to leave ICS and the way to put the phone back to stock (rooted in this case).
Desktop i5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz | ASUS P8Z68-V PRO | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X750
MSI GTX570 TF III @ 950/1900/2300 | 2TB 5900 + 2X320GB 7200 RAID0 | Zalman CNPS9900 MAX

dynoboot
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMotorsports View Post
I am not actually sure what the total issue with rom manager is, but it has been said not to use it. I know part of the issue stems from the "fake/temp flash" issue because our recovery is repacked into the kernel. I have never had any success with gaining the temporary access using it so I have to take peoples word for it.

As far as booting into recovery easier from a running phone. Some custom roms have this in the power menu, Calkulin's 3.0 EL29 has it. Also lookup quick boot which is on Calk's rom its an app that lets you reboot to recovery. I dont think quick boot does download mode but many roms that have it in the power menu do.

As long as you can get into Download mode its safe to give it a shot. The one click is a prepackaged method of the same thing a technician would be doing to your phone if they had it at this point. Its THE safest way to leave ICS and the way to put the phone back to stock (rooted in this case).
I did have Blazer Rom before and that did indeed have the power function, it was nice. My hesitation is from my limited understanding of what's going on is attempting to wipe causes the problem, and in some cases from what I can tell it appears some people are failing in Odin, specifically because the problem was already created it seems. Although this version of ICS isn't my favorite, I vastly prefer it to a paperweight. In this thread there appears to be some progress being made, so that's why I was thinking perhaps I should wait it out. Then again I'm really not sure. I may give a crack at some of that serial # stuff they're talking about in the other thread and see just how at risk I am. I haven't really tried the dev tools yet anyway......

RainMotorsports
Old
Thanks Meter 709
The wipe occurs when installing a rom, kernel, or doing a factory reset on a current ICS kernel of any kind, stock, stock unsecured, cwm. Data seems to be the one hit all the time but technically with factory reset the Cache partition is also a possible victim. The kernel issues a command to the eMMC but the eMMC firmware that actually does the wipe is bugged and randomly corrupts the low level area of memory.

Last I word I heard (posted by sfhub on the 1tth) was using Calkulin's format all was safe. But I feel like you wondering about the full versus no data one clicks? ODIN is fine do not worry about ODIN.

okantomi
Old
Thanks Meter 712
Quote:
If you have problems booting into recovery,just dl Quick Boot app from play store.
Transformer Infinity 32Gb - KK 4.2.2
ROM: CROMBI.KK with _that kernel
Nexus 7 32Gb - KK 4.4.2
Galaxy Note 2 - 4.3

When someone--anyone--helps you, give them a THANKS!

jy2003
Old
Thanks Meter 0
If I want to flash from aokp to cm9, what is the right way? Should I do the one click Odin to el29, flash cm7 and then cm9?

ijoshv2
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by jy2003 View Post
If I want to flash from aokp to cm9, what is the right way? Should I do the one click Odin to el29, flash cm7 and then cm9?
ODIN EL29, then boot immediately to recovery. Wipe data, dalvik, and cache. Flash cm9 and gapps, reboot. Should be good to go.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA
Show respect to your fellow XDA members. We're all a family, here.

Phone: SGS II EPIC 4G Touch ROM: CM9 Beta 1 for E4GT
Tab: Debating on my next Tab.. PM me your favorite? (;

"Owned an iPhone once.. Never again will I stoop that low." -Me

If someone helped you, or provided ANY useful knowledge, thank them.
Only takes a moment!

mjs2011
Old
Thanks Meter 1,680
Thanks for this guide! One question I have is regarding flashing back to Gingerbread if wanting to switch from ICS to ICS ROM's. Theoretically, could I just restore my rooted stock back up in CWM and then flash a new ROM?

Sorry if this is a very n00bish question. Coming from the LG Optimus, a lot of this is like learning a new language. I'm sure it will come quickly though.

garwynn
Old
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 7,469

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs2011 View Post
Thanks for this guide! One question I have is regarding flashing back to Gingerbread if wanting to switch from ICS to ICS ROM's. Theoretically, could I just restore my rooted stock back up in CWM and then flash a new ROM?

Sorry if this is a very n00bish question. Coming from the LG Optimus, a lot of this is like learning a new language. I'm sure it will come quickly though.
Better to ask than not - you'll want to use an ODIN flash (separate kernel or one-click, either OK) to get back to GB for the time being. Once there you can use CWM to flash back to an ICS ROM.

The Following User Says Thank You to garwynn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]