Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,354 Members 44,092 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOWTO] Install CM9 on 8GB Nook Tablet

Tip us?

heavyhev
Old
(Last edited by heavyhev; 27th May 2012 at 09:30 PM.) Reason: Asked question in elsewhere
Thanks Meter 13
Default Ready for Step #3, at least thought so

Can be deleted.

raywaldo
Old
Thanks Meter 106

DONATE TO ME
Unhappy New version (.04) of CM9 causes boot loop on NT8

Has anyone been able to get version .04 working on an 8GB Nook Tablet?
I have tried and all I get is a boot loop. I will search the other forums to see if I can find a solution. Otherwise, this thread seems to be doomed...

dornstar
Old
(Last edited by dornstar; 28th May 2012 at 06:06 AM.)
Thanks Meter 14
Had .03 working on my 8GB NT perfectly and then tonight when reading a book, it rebooted and went into a boot loader.

Reflashed CM9 .03.... bootloader.

Flashed 1.4.2 and it worked fine.

Reflashed CM9 .03... bootloader.

Flashed CM9 .04... screen flashes and stalls.

Any suggestions because I dread going to to another ROM. Thanks!!!

eggwardo
Old
(Last edited by eggwardo; 28th May 2012 at 03:24 PM.)
Thanks Meter 12
I was just browsing this post again in preparation for installing .04 (will update on how that went when i'm done) and i noticed that you have in your instructions to download a recovery file. But then there isn't any instruction or mention of installing it. (unless i missed it, which is entirely possible)

Thought i would point that out to help prevent future issues.

Now i just have to figure out how to upgrade to .04 without recovery. Shouldnt be too hard. I can always just go back to stock and start from there.

<edit> It turns out i can still add the recovery now. I just have to figure out how to use fastboot. It seemed straightforward but i'm not getting it just yet. Hopefully that will get added to the OP. I think for now i'm going to go enjoy the nice weather.

atomicroach
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I've been messing with it for a few days with no luck, tried to generate a logcat, but my pc doesn't appear to recognize the ADB Device until the CM9 splash screen, which it doesn't get to before it resets. I'm trying flashing internally from 5.0.2(w/e) that Indirect's apk installs. Lost101 apparently got .04 running on a 8gig NT, but I don't know what recovery he used(I'm thinking TWRP). So, if someone wants to try installing a different recovery and giving it a go it might be worth a look. I don't really know why the 16gb wouldn't have a problem with certain recoveries if the 8gb does, but without logs to give to Dev's its, I suppose, worth a look.

raywaldo
Old
Thanks Meter 106

DONATE TO ME
Exclamation recovery image

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggwardo View Post
I was just browsing this post again in preparation for installing .04 (will update on how that went when i'm done) and i noticed that you have in your instructions to download a recovery file. But then there isn't any instruction or mention of installing it. (unless i missed it, which is entirely possible)

Thought i would point that out to help prevent future issues.

Now i just have to figure out how to upgrade to .04 without recovery. Shouldnt be too hard. I can always just go back to stock and start from there.

<edit> It turns out i can still add the recovery now. I just have to figure out how to use fastboot. It seemed straightforward but i'm not getting it just yet. Hopefully that will get added to the OP. I think for now i'm going to go enjoy the nice weather.
If you have ClockWorkMod recovery, then you do not need the linked recovery image. Just boot up CWM and then change the SDCard to one with the rom's ZIP file on it. Then use CWM's "Install zip from sdcard" function.
Here is a series of videos to help with the Nook: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...eature=mh_lolz
This one is specifically about flashing CM9 to the Nook: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1NDw...ure=plpp_video

However, it appears that the .04 version has BROKE the NT8 install.
AFAIK, everyone with an 8GB Nook gets a boot loop when they try to flash the newer version. I had to go back to stock and then flash a different ROM since even my backup of .03 went into a boot loop after trying .04 (weird, I know).

leapinlar
Old
(Last edited by leapinlar; 29th May 2012 at 05:43 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3573

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by raywaldo View Post
[B]AFAIK, everyone with an 8GB Nook gets a boot loop when they try to flash the newer version. I had to go back to stock and then flash a different ROM since even my backup of .03 went into a boot loop after trying .04 (weird, I know).
It must have something to do with installing to emmc. Mine installed .04 fine to my succulent dual boot SD. (on an 8GB device). Of course succulent uses a modified ramdisk (altboot.img) to make it work on SD.
See my Nook Color Tips Thread here,
and my Nook Color EMMC Partition Repair Thread here,
and my Nook Color Updated CM SD Installation Instructions here,
and my Nook HD/HD+ stock tips thread here
and my Nook HD/HD+ CWM Root Tools thread here
e.mote's Nook HD/HD+ Dummies Guide for installing CM10.1/CM10.2/CM11 here

raywaldo
Old
(Last edited by raywaldo; 29th May 2012 at 11:10 PM.) Reason: Added info and links
Thanks Meter 106

DONATE TO ME
Talking Install CM9 v.04 on 8GB internal emmc

It looks like they have figured out what went wrong with v.04.

Here is the link to Succulent's "newboot.zip" file: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=604
And here are the simple instructions for how to make it work (if you want to start fresh & redo your setup or, if you still have v.03 on the Nook): http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=609

It worked for me and apparently for everyone that uses it.

Ok. Here is the process that I used to get back where I was on .03 before everything went into a boot loop. Due to the boot loop, I reverted to stock (actually Veronica's Ribbon Root).
  1. Use CWM SDCard to flash CM9.04 (just to get the CyanoBoot going) (from OP here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...87&postcount=1)
  2. Reboot and hold the N button to get into Cyanoboot
  3. Select "Start Fastboot"
  4. Connect computer via USB
  5. On the computer, use the terminal and cd to the downloaded recovery0.04.img file (from OP here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...87&postcount=1)
  6. In Terminal, issue the command, "sudo fastboot flash recovery recovery0.04.img" (replaces the stock recovery with the CWM recovery from the OP)
  7. Put SDCard in Nook (card contains (previous B/U of CM9.03, CM9.04.zip, newboot.zip, and gapps.zip)
  8. Reboot the Nook and return to Cyanoboot
  9. Select "Internal Recovery"
  10. Restore Backup of CM9.03 (to get my settings back)
  11. Clear cache & Dalvik
  12. Flash CM9.04
  13. Flash newboot.zip
  14. flash gapps.zip
  15. Reboot system
When it powered up, it came back to where my CM9.03 was at the last backup.
Note: any time that you do a "wipe dalvik" on ICS, your first boot will send a dialog that says, "Android is upgrading, optimizing application XX of YY." It only last a few seconds and is totally normal.

Actually, I probably could have skipped a few steps by using the advanced options in restore to only restore the settings from .03 but I felt more comfortable doing it this way and it only took a couple minutes longer.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to raywaldo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sigmabeta
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by raywaldo View Post
a bunch of really helpful stuff
I was about to post something quite similar today, but you beat me to it. Thanks!

Worth mentioning: I was able to successfully flash the preview of TWRP. Seems to work fine as well; anyone interested may try it using the same steps Raywaldo posted, just sub in the TWRP image.
The Following User Says Thank You to sigmabeta For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

raywaldo
Old
Thanks Meter 106

DONATE TO ME
Thumbs up Thanks to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmabeta View Post
I was about to post something quite similar today, but you beat me to it. Thanks!
It is OK to hit the "thanks" button.

Actually, you did us all a favor by specifically offering the NT8 instructions in the OP. So many posts do not define whether it is good for NT8 or NT16.

My take... If they don't say otherwise, assume that they are using an NT16. We NT8 users are the only ones that are concerned about the difference.

All of us working together get much more accomplished than if we work independently. My website (http://raywaldo.com) provides simple instructions to users who find all of the posts on XDA too confusing. The previous post is the kind of KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) article that I have on the site.

The Following User Says Thank You to raywaldo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]