Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,935 Members 52,333 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[NIGHTLIES] CyanogenMod 9 Discussion Thread

Tip us?

be_vigilant
Old
(Last edited by be_vigilant; 30th May 2012 at 02:39 PM.)
Thanks Meter 368

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by un4seen View Post
That's weird. After the 15.05 nightly (approx., I install every 5 days) I started having SOD problems, even after full wipes and clean install. I can even easily reproduce it - if the phone is idle for a long time (a few hours when I sleep) and I receive a text message, the phone seems to crash. I can hear it receiving the message (by which I mean I can hear interference in my speakers, which kinda acts like a notification for me), but it does it continuously, and the phone cannot wake. I have to reboot it, and after booting I immediately receive the message as usual.

-Only happens after long periods of deep sleep with about 30% probability and only with text messages (calls and email work normally).
-nothing unusual in logs or last_dmesg
-happens on both my Notes, so not an isolated case

I'll try to investigate it for a bit as soon as I have some time.
This is also my experience of SODs. It does seem to crash when receiving a call\sms\email\gtalk IM

Please if you discover anything keep the following up to date

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1671272

Bitcoin Donations Welcomed 14wQhmKoWLrwi57V2TZu1rwih5bEQKGn5s

hamma
Old
Thanks Meter 443
Could anybody please have a look in their router, if the wlan-log is "spammed" by the note, too.
A Thanks a day, keeps the doctor away.

blindbox
Old
(Last edited by blindbox; 30th May 2012 at 04:42 PM.)
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512 View Post
Could you show me the schematic of the circuit you used to measure current draw? Basically, you threw a bunch of current drain numbers that are outright lies if you did not use an external current measurement method, considering our device has NO way of measuring current draw internally.

I'm sick of this bull**** - None of the developers can reproduce your claimed problems, and not a single one of you has posted a single shred of useful data, and now people are posting crap that I know is an outright lie because the data they claim to have is impossible to obtain without hooking up a dummy battery and an ammeter outside the device.

Next person to whine about wifi issues the developers are unable to reproduce without COMPLETELY following the instructions for diagnosing drain at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1308030 is getting reported.

In short - don't complain about wifi drain unless you've got a complete kernel wakelock dump taken in the manner requested in that thread along with a Shark capture.

The new driver fixes power management issues in a number of situations (For example, I again see deep sleep above 80% during an arpdrain stress test, I haven't seen that since ICS was released) - maybe it breaks others. Without any data other than useless bitching and whining, it won't change.

Edit: It seems like with the exception of the touchscreen issue, those experiencing wifi problems are all using the same router - which happens to be a combined DSL/wifi router and in my experiences, many of those are utter ****. (See how 2wire is at the top of the ****list in the thread I linked above...) If people actually encounter problems with routers that have a good track record of reliability and consistency (Off of the top of my head - ones running DD-WRT or Tomato, and Ubiqiti products), that would be interesting. If it's Belkin or a Netgear running stock firmware, don't even bother wasting my time.
I didn't mean to whine. If my tone was like that, forgive me. I checked the battery reading by using an app called battery monitor widget. It's not as accurate as putting an ammeter and a voltmeter between the battery and the device itself, I know, but FWIW, it gives me a linear value indicator where the higher the value = the worse the drain is. It's value is useful relatively, and since I managed to get 2 mA easily on one ROM, in addition to the fact that the wifi does not consume more on standby.

Replace 'mA' with 'units' if that makes you cringe less.

Anyway, that thread has some great stuff. I'll do that too and report back.

By the way, my router is not in any way crap. I'm on TP-Link WR1043ND, on OpenWRT trunk version r32001 (tbh, DD-WRT is crap compared to OpenWRT). I'll go and get a tcpdump on my wireless router and see if galaxy note is spamming it.
The Following User Says Thank You to blindbox For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ahalford
Old
(Last edited by ahalford; 30th May 2012 at 04:40 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2,108

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
NIt seems like with the exception of the touchscreen issue, those experiencing wifi problems are all using the same router - which happens to be a combined DSL/wifi router and in my experiences, many of those are utter ****. (See how 2wire is at the top of the ****list in the thread I linked above...) If people actually encounter problems with routers that have a good track record of reliability and consistency (Off of the top of my head - ones running DD-WRT or Tomato, and Ubiqiti products), that would be interesting. If it's Belkin or a Netgear running stock firmware, don't even bother wasting my time.
Thank you. Is there any detailed knowledge base about such routers, with buggy firmware verisons listed, and alternative firmware/soultions? Or otherwise, list of "clean" wi-fi/dsl routers? Mine is TP-Link TL-WR941N

We all do so many stupid things, for bad reason or no reason at all.
'Forgive them, Father, they know not what they do' applies to nine-tenths of our actions.

robertkuro
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Default Weird dots

I have those weird dots or smudge on some of my live wallpaper and wallpaper I know it's not the screen maybe is something I need to change can anyone help me please I would really appreciated ..thanks

Narada2XK
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Is is okay to restore a build.prop file after a CM9 update or should I edit it each time. I did a search for restore build.prop just incase.

Sent from my Samsung N7K device.
(cm-9-20120529-NIGHTLY-n7000)

hamma
Old
Thanks Meter 443
Quote:

Edit: It seems like with the exception of the touchscreen issue, those experiencing wifi problems are all using the same router - which happens to be a combined DSL/wifi router and in my experiences, many of those are utter ****. (See how 2wire is at the top of the ****list in the thread I linked above...) If people actually encounter problems with routers that have a good track record of reliability and consistency (Off of the top of my head - ones running DD-WRT or Tomato, and Ubiqiti products), that would be interesting. If it's Belkin or a Netgear running stock firmware, don't even bother wasting my time.
@entropy
I really appreciate your work, but before the new wifi-driver was released, everything with the router was fine. How can it be that, with the new driver, the fault lies by the "utter ****" routers?
A Thanks a day, keeps the doctor away.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hamma For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

samarium
Old
Thanks Meter 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahalford View Post
Thank you. Is there any detailed knowledge base about such routers, with buggy firmware verisons listed, and alternative firmware/soultions? Or otherwise, list of "clean" wi-fi/dsl routers? Mine is TP-Link TL-WR941N
Another alternative firmware is at openwrt.org and does some tp-link.
The Following User Says Thank You to samarium For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Kings Lee
Old
Thanks Meter 8
btw, the wifi module included with 0529 enabled my torrent to go up to 1MB/s while the old module was just 50kb/s, might be just coincidence...

tapatalk on cm9-nightly-n7000

---------- Post added at 12:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 AM ----------

oops... another near SOD!

I was downloading the Torrent via Wifi, and the screen sleeps. Then I want to wake it up by power button, no response!

Then I get to my computer, connect to USB, and it wakes!
Immediately I connect adb shell, then logcat, that's what I got...

http://pastebin.com/QH1JGcYU
The Following User Says Thank You to Kings Lee For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AE
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamma View Post
Could anybody please have a look in their router, if the wlan-log is "spammed" by the note, too.
None, everything is Ok.
2.4MHz, channel 1.

Tags
aosp, cm9, cyanogenmod, galaxy note, ics, n7000, snote and smemo no wrk