Root for Nook Tablet 8GB (w/ Android Market)

OP jichuan89

30th May 2012, 02:46 PM   |  #301  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
factory reset worked for me
After trying many SD cards, i finally got the brown box to appear by using the image that jichuan suggests in his troubleshooting section (post 131) and then erasing the files included with the image and copying over jichuan's files from his zip in method #2. Still no brown box until i put the sd card in and restored the nook to factory defaults (hold down power and n keys, releasing when n screen goes blank). The next time i turned on the device, the box appeared.
30th May 2012, 05:30 PM   |  #302  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Thanks
jichuan,

All I can say is thanks and WOW! Worked straight out of the gate for me, using a 8gb Dane Elect memory card (cheapy from Target). The only issue I had was the stupid "unknown sources" remaining checked issue that some people get.
Unknown sources is now checked, (no idea how I finally got it) but I still can't get HomeCatcher to install.

[Edit] For some reason, I can't sideload at all. I am rooted, and it does show the unknown sources as checked, however when I try to intall something it won't install.
I can load things from the Play store fine. Any ideas?
Last edited by Oryp; 30th May 2012 at 07:09 PM.
2nd June 2012, 08:46 PM   |  #303  
Thanks Meter: 3

11 posts
My SUCCESS and TOTAL NIGHTMARES (:
I can not believe my luck. I had purchased 2 brand new 8 Gig Color Nook Tablets (thanks to previous poster asking if these are Tablets and not the Nook Colors, they are the Tablets). All went perfect on the first Nook. I was rooted and did not have any problems with the unknown sources check box. Then I factory restored it as I thought I was going to be giving this to a family member and they did not want rooted. They changed their mind. So I went back and went through the exact same process on this first Tablet with the SAME 4 gig microdisk as I did the first time. This factory restored Nook will not brown box at all. I tried everything. Even reformatted the 4 gig disk all different ways. Formatted with the Nook, then formatted with Windows, then formatted with sd formatter program. This factory restored nook just does not want to be rerooted nor. Even tried a different 4 gig disk. So I figured well my 2nd 8 gig NEW Color Nook Tablet will be rooted since its just out of box and Iam doing all like I did when I had success on the first Nook. Now the unused 2nd Nook wont go to the brown box. Too strange. So I have 2 8 gig "NEW" color nook tablets that cant be rooted. To eBay they will go (at a great price by the way) if I cant figure this all out.
3rd June 2012, 06:49 AM   |  #304  
Thanks Meter: 15

93 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcb2

After trying many SD cards, i finally got the brown box to appear by using the image that jichuan suggests in his troubleshooting section (post 131) and then erasing the files included with the image and copying over jichuan's files from his zip in method #2. Still no brown box until i put the sd card in and restored the nook to factory defaults (hold down power and n keys, releasing when n screen goes blank). The next time i turned on the device, the box appeared.

What worked for me after trying 4 different SD cards was to do a full format of the card. Did it in Windows and unchecked the quick format box, after that it finally booted off the SD card. Hope that helps others as nothing else did it for me and I have seen no mention of trying a full format in other threads. Cheers.
4th June 2012, 05:49 AM   |  #305  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,649

8,335 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by growthweb

I can not believe my luck. I had purchased 2 brand new 8 Gig Color Nook Tablets (thanks to previous poster asking if these are Tablets and not the Nook Colors, they are the Tablets). All went perfect on the first Nook. I was rooted and did not have any problems with the unknown sources check box. Then I factory restored it as I thought I was going to be giving this to a family member and they did not want rooted. They changed their mind. So I went back and went through the exact same process on this first Tablet with the SAME 4 gig microdisk as I did the first time. This factory restored Nook will not brown box at all. I tried everything. Even reformatted the 4 gig disk all different ways. Formatted with the Nook, then formatted with Windows, then formatted with sd formatter program. This factory restored nook just does not want to be rerooted nor. Even tried a different 4 gig disk. So I figured well my 2nd 8 gig NEW Color Nook Tablet will be rooted since its just out of box and Iam doing all like I did when I had success on the first Nook. Now the unused 2nd Nook wont go to the brown box. Too strange. So I have 2 8 gig "NEW" color nook tablets that cant be rooted. To eBay they will go (at a great price by the way) if I cant figure this all out.

Which method of preparing the SD card are you using? The easiest and best is burning the image. It puts the format on the SD as required by the nook. Use win32diskimager to burn the image to the SD. Run the program in administrator mode and use an external USB card reader instead any built in reader. The nook is very particular about how the SD is prepared. Any little thing can cause it not to boot. Just keep trying.

Sent from my Nook running Tapatalk
5th June 2012, 05:46 PM   |  #306  

11 posts
Help ....................................
Thanks everybody for your help. I tried all the methods. As I mentioned in my post I had GREAT SUCCESS on my first try with the sd card I was using. Everything went crazy when I factory restored my nook and went back to trying to root it again. Using same disk same procedure as before. And now I have tried 3 other sd disks and of course win32diskimager. And as I mentioned I went to root my second new nook 8 gig tablet and now that does not work EVEN USING the same exact disk that I rooted my first tablet with. I KNOW THIS CRAZY but its like BARNES and NOBLE knows something after my first root and my account and somehow prevented me doing any more roots. Otherwise my second new 8 gig should of rooted with the same sd disk as I originally rooted my first. This is like the twilight zone. I really do have to sell these 2 new 8 gig nooks as they are worthless to me if I can reroot and root them.
5th June 2012, 06:30 PM   |  #307  
Recognized Contributor

8,335 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by growthweb

Thanks everybody for your help. I tried all the methods. As I mentioned in my post I had GREAT SUCCESS on my first try with the sd card I was using. Everything went crazy when I factory restored my nook and went back to trying to root it again. Using same disk same procedure as before. And now I have tried 3 other sd disks and of course win32diskimager. And as I mentioned I went to root my second new nook 8 gig tablet and now that does not work EVEN USING the same exact disk that I rooted my first tablet with. I KNOW THIS CRAZY but its like BARNES and NOBLE knows something after my first root and my account and somehow prevented me doing any more roots. Otherwise my second new 8 gig should of rooted with the same sd disk as I originally rooted my first. This is like the twilight zone. I really do have to sell these 2 new 8 gig nooks as they are worthless to me if I can reroot and root them.

The problem stems from not the disk you are using, but how it is getting burned. The disk must be formatted so that the first partition starts exactly on the 63rd sector of the disk or it will not boot. That sometimes is hard to achieve. Apparently it worked the first time you tried it. All I can suggest is to keep trying with different combinations of burning software, computers, and readers.
5th June 2012, 06:57 PM   |  #308  

11 posts
Thank you so much for your input. I have tried every conceivable option on every forum and youtube videos. I know what your saying is the key. Even though I had success that first time on my first 8 gig NT (using the image from this thread) I will go back to to work and figure all this out. I have tried partitioning and formatting with partionwizard all different ways with different tutorials I will go back and try more. I have tried formatting first with the color nook itself, formatting with sdformatter, formatting with windows 7 doing a complete (uncheck quick format) format. GETTING A 8 GIG NOOK TABLET TO BOOT TO BROWN BOX (again) IS MY MISSION! ...and hope I can keep that "UNKNOWN SOURCES" BOXES CHECKED AFTER ROOTING AS THAT IS SCARY) I will get this figured out because I have 2 brand new 8 gig color nooks sitting here and had success only once (wish I would of never restored back to barnes and noble!) but will do it again even if I have to spend forever doing this .. Iam on a mission!). Then I will let everyone know. And I know it goes down to that 63rd Sector! so back to partitionwizard I go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinlar

The problem stems from not the disk you are using, but how it is getting burned. The disk must be formatted so that the first partition starts exactly on the 63rd sector of the disk or it will not boot. That sometimes is hard to achieve. Apparently it worked the first time you tried it. All I can suggest is to keep trying with different combinations of burning software, computers, and readers.

5th June 2012, 09:31 PM   |  #309  
Recognized Contributor

8,335 posts
Donate to Me
More
One more option to try is to burn the image with winimage and instead of choosing 'write disk' from the menu, use 'Restore Virtual Disk Image to physical disk'.

Sent from my Nook Color running ICS and Tapatalk
5th June 2012, 09:40 PM   |  #310  

11 posts
UPDATE!!!!! Found the solution. Easy Root 8 gig 1.4.2
After spending hours and hours on this. I went back to youtube and see if there was anything I missed. WELL! Found it. Downloaded the image installer they provided. Wrote it to my 4 gig sd card. Booted RIGHT TO THE BROWN box on both my 8 gig Nook Tablets!!. Installed Veronicas Ribbon Root. All went perfect!! Please maybe someone can make this like a STICKY? Or maybe it is. If I would not of missed this web page or his youtube tutorial days ago I would of saved hours of time and frustration. Thanks so much for Veronica and Waldo for this perfect root. (at least for me...I did both my 8 gig CNs in the last 10 minutes). Everybody should see this. Especially if you have the newer 8 gig Nooks like I do.

thank you sooooo much ....... raywaldoDOTcom! .........

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread