5,604,122 Members 49,593 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

WARNING Three Mobile are THROTTLING All You Can Eat Data

Tip us?

mardon85
Old
(Last edited by mardon85; 30th May 2012 at 09:11 PM.)
Thanks Meter 23
So I spoke to a manager today. Phones going back to three and the £90 I paid for it into my pocket. Had a decent civilised chat. Didn't have a leg to stand on and apologized profusely. Here was the general gist.
1)I totally understand why the traffic management is in place and the benefits it brings.
2)I was not sold a contract that had any mention of said "traffic management" and actively advertised to not have any "hidden fair use policy".
3)I was given no prior warning so could not adjust my usage accordingly and was punished for a "crime" I was actively encourage to commit.
4)The throttling speed is far too severe at the point of being unusable
5)Three could not or would not give me a figure to work with to limit my peak usage meaning I would be constantly worried about having my internet throttled for a further 7 days.

That was basically it. Keep calm, be polite and know your facts. Had a decent chat and told him about the brewing media and customer backlash and advised him on what I recommended they do to find a happy medium.

Not bothered about keeping the phone. Had the ONE X three months out of a 24month contract. I think it would be pretty hard faced to think I could keep it.

HarrowingLife
Old
(Last edited by HarrowingLife; 30th May 2012 at 09:38 PM.) Reason: Edit about comments
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by lohtse View Post
PS I suspect throttling has been going on far far longer than they would ever admit!!
It all started with Throttling back when All You Can Eat launched. They out-right denied it until the Media caught up, then it was fixed over night. It wasn't as bad as this Traffic Management though, IIRC it was 512Kbps 24/7 after using 2GB. You can see the original All You Can Eat Announcement page on 3Blog from December 2010 for more details on this. (You'll need to go to the oldest part of the comments, January 2011)

It only makes sense that they'd kill it with a throttle. I'm hoping they make it 10% or something and give us all at least 1Mbps so we can still use 21st Century internet, not 20th Century internet. I was going to go cinema tonight but can't decide what film to watch as I can not Stream the Trailers! Netflix is due for next payment but I feel I should now cancel. Sure they'll be happy with Three for losing my custom. Also cancelling World of Warcraft as latency issues make it unplayable during 3PM-12AM.

I guess I should thank Three from Free-ing me from the burdens and costs of Internet Services!

I see it all now, the internet is addictive, worse than Crack. Three are detoxing me with the Dial-Up speeds and then I can be Free once and for all from the Internet. I really do owe some Free thanks to Three

I really do think you should all read http://blog.three.co.uk/2011/11/18/c...ited%E2%80%99/

Edit: Also on the original Announcement Page, now the comments have loaded, baring in mind the post is from December 2010! Its full of other people who haven't come here that are going mental about this throttling.

flyingcat
Old
Thanks Meter 2
It's a very significant degradation in service, to the point of being unusable.

Terms and Conditions cannot allow a company to all but cancel a paid for service.

rolydj
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
We may traffic manage customers who are using a disproportionally high amount of data in congested areas. Our full policy can be viewed here. If you want us to check if you are affected please reply with your full name, number, date of birth and postcode (we wonít post your personal information) and Iíll check for you.
According to this comment posted by one of 3's mods (on their blog), it seems they only traffic manage users in congested areas? I've used 40GBs during the past two weeks but as I live almost in the middle of nowhere, maybe I'm less likely to get throttled?

HarrowingLife
Old
Thanks Meter 8
POSSIBLE CHANCE: BBC News on Advert Complaints Article have open comments, feel free to mention Three UK. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18243577

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolydj View Post
According to this comment posted by one of 3's mods (on their blog), it seems they only traffic manage users in congested areas? I've used 40GBs during the past two weeks but as I live almost in the middle of nowhere, maybe I'm less likely to get throttled?
I live in the middle of nowhere to. I used less than 15GB and got throttled. Motorway traffic and probably about 50 of us use Three all the time here. 10-12Mbps constant, which should speak for its self. Now I can barley load a web page!

rolydj
Old
Thanks Meter 0
The max I get is only around 1Mbps down, which hasn't changed since I got the contract.

Where I live is almost at the end of their coverage I think, I can get 3Mbps driving past a few houses 10mins down the road

blair287
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
im going to phone three 2morrow and cancel my contract, will fight for my phone but if they wont back down ill try get half the phones worth back seems as i must have paid for half the phone over 1 year of a 2 year contract, failing all of that if i really have no choice i suppose ill send the phone back but not with out a fight.

newbintraining
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by blair287 View Post
im going to phone three 2morrow and cancel my contract, will fight for my phone but if they wont back down ill try get half the phones worth back seems as i must have paid for half the phone over 1 year of a 2 year contract, failing all of that if i really have no choice i suppose ill send the phone back but not with out a fight.
Would this help?

Quote:
2.3 This agreement does not cover:
(a) any products or services you buy while using Three Services; or
(b) the supply of your Device. The manufacturers of Devices are not related to us. Any terms relating to Devices will be given to you separately.
I can't see them forcing you to give back the device, you technically own it whether you bought it outright or not with the contract.

scoopex
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbintraining View Post
Would this help?

I can't see them forcing you to give back the device, you technically own it whether you bought it outright or not with the contract.
This is exactly right as when Orange changed their terms and conditions a few years ago I myself along with hundreds of others got contracts cancelled without any penalty and kept the phone.

mardon85
Old
Thanks Meter 23
I think if you are over half way into your contract you should be able to keep the phone. I myself am three months in and think paying £90 for a £450 phone and three months service is a little hard faced. I'm sad about the whole situation as until Friday last week I was over the moon with Three and my phone

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe