Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,559 Members 52,141 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOWTO] Flashing recovery image via shell / via LGMDP.exe on unrooted phone

Tip us?

dr.notor
Old
Thanks Meter 354
Eh? All you need is whatever **** based on the stock ROM!

Sent from my LG-P500 using XDA App

zenithvictor
Old
Thanks Meter 5
$ su
permission denied

22VIN
Old
Thanks Meter 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenithvictor View Post
$ su
permission denied
You're not rooting it, you're installing CR on an unrooted phone. So i can't understand why you need su permission.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk
Samsung GS4 I9505 + iPad 4th gen + Sony Xperia Arc
HTC Sensation - gone; never again.
LG P500 - my first droid, really missing it

typci
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Thanks for this awesome thread.

Also, you should add that when it reboots, it may show a battery charging icon, and even then don't disconnect. The reason I say this is because people are morons. On other phones I've worked with, when you do things like this, you have to remove the battery before plugging it into the computer, so it it doesn't go into "battery charging" mode upon rebooting. Also, people may see the battery charging screen and think their phone didn't reboot properly. When I saw the battery charging screen, the first thing I thought was "Crap, I forgot to remove the battery first." The second thought was "He said don't unplug the phone until you see 'download complete'."

cognus
Old
Thanks Meter 18
if anyone still watches this thread.
this is a great thread, very simple and straightforward.
I unfortunately get errors using the terminal mode [can't deal with the move of the flash_image]

so I'm trying the LGMDP method. I have the phone booted normally, usb debugging enabled [is that correct?] and connected.
LGMDP no problem connecting via com6. got the right identity.
when I browse to the [AmonRa] folder, it doesn't just give 3 errors, the entire list on the screen is an error except the first row [folder string] so when done ignoring all those, nothing left but the top row. is that correct?
followed the rest of the script: all went as you said, took awhile, showed download complete. I tried the recovery 3 button thing [home, vol.down, power, hold til LG logo disappears and 'droid shows, let go] and per usual, it rebooted to a full refresh - in other words, phone wiped, restored to factory.

did it "succeed"? I realize lots of us have trouble getting it into fastboot or any other mode other than "factory restart" via the 3-key thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doktornotor View Post
Alternative method: Flashing custom recovery via LGMDP.exe

Tried to root it via z4root, GingerBreak, SuperOneClick but everything failed? No problem! Flash the recovery via LGMDP.

Step 1:

Download P500-CWM-3.1.0.0.zip (CWM 3.1.0.0 included, if you want something else, replace recovery.img with whatever you want) and unzip it.

Step 2:

- Browse to the folder where you unpacked the ZIP and run LGMDP-v1.5.exe
- Click Download in menu
- Select Port
- Choose your phone, click Connect
- Click Image Folder button, browse to the directory where you unpacked this
- Click OK about 3 times on the warnings
- Close the window
- Click Download button
- Let it do the job. It will backup your IMEI and MACs to .NV2 file, reboot your phone, flash recovery and restore the NV2 backup. Do NOT interrupt it or disconnect your phone until it says "Download complete"! Do NOT delete the NV2 backup!

Step 3:

Done! Now when you press Home + Volume Down + Power, you should find yourself in your shiny new custom recovery. Now you can flash a rooted ROM via flash zip menu.

Q: I am a moron and have interrupted the process. Now I get a black screen with some weird fastboot text, what to do? HELP!!!!
A: Yes, you are a moron. See [HOWTO] Revive a bricked P500 on fastboot mode (the SHORT way) thread.

Q: Can I just quickly root my stock ROM after flashing recovery? I do not want a custom ROM.
A: Yes. Download su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip and flash it from recovery. Reboot, download Busybox Installer from the market, run and install busybox on your phone.
Refugee from the PC Patch
LG P509
Nexus 7 Grouper
SGH-T959V
SGH-T879 Note
Tags
flash_image, howto, recovery