Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,073 Members 41,080 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Zagg InvisibleSHIELD Screen Protectors (My review and discussion)

Tip us?

Skullmonkey
Old
(Last edited by Skullmonkey; 31st May 2012 at 05:27 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 308

DONATE TO ME
Default Zagg InvisibleSHIELD Screen Protectors (My review and discussion)

I purchased a Zagg HD Screen protector yesterday. I must say that I am very impressed with this product.

What comes in the case:
(From left to right)

1. Zagg HD Screen Protector (Can you see it?)
2. Application solution
3. RUBBER Squeegee
4. Micro Fiber Cloth

Side note: When I installed this, I took a shower and when I was drying off, I turned the water on the hottest it will go to get the room nice and steamy to take down most of anything that could be floating in the air. Other then that, I applied as directed. Bubbles have formed since the screen protector has set (which is expected) and since has worked themselves out.

Pro:
-Rubber feeling? What rubbery feeling? This thing feels like the actual screen!
-I don't see a difference in screen clarity or color.
-Doesn't reduce responsiveness from the screen.
-Cover existing scratches. (Yep, got one on the screen already. Tiny, but still enough to tick me off. Thanks co-worker!)
-Comes with a rubber squeegee; not a cardboard one that scratches your new screen protector.
-Comes with a high end microfiber cleaning.
-Lifetime warranty.
-1000x better then the OtterBox screen protector (which I removed).

Cons:
-Fingerprints and smudges. They are reduced from the actual screen but they are still pretty bad after about 3 hours of use.
-Cut out for the proximity sensor is off. I had to off center mine to get the sensor to be in the hole but my Otter Box case jides the edges.
-Wet apply. (Not a con to me but may be for some people. You will be fine if you apply carefully and squeegee away from any ports.)

You can buy these products from Zagg (Normal version) or from Best Buy (HD Version).

Discussion for both versions are welcome.
Devices: Galazy S 3 (Temp until my Nexus 5), Nexus 10
Retired: Evo LTE, Transformer Infinity, Transformer Prime, Evo 4G, Samsung Moment, Samsung Rant, Sanyo Katana.

Google Now Cards on your homescreens!

Hosting isn't cheap. If you would like direct downloads, please consider donating: Donate via PayPal

shellguy
Old
Thanks Meter 5
the HD screens are much better than what the normal ones they used to use. I have one of the old school ones on my EVO 4G. It is a bit sticky, but this one is great.

Will

henderjr
Old
Thanks Meter 57
I bought one from Best Buy and it messed up the proximity sensor. So when I'd call someone or get a phone call the screen would turn off immediately and wouldn't come back on without hitting the power button. The proximity sensor is just to the left of the hole they put in. The sensor they put the hole in for is the light sensor (I believe). I cut my Zagg to make it a wider rectangle instead of a circular hole and now the proximity sensor works perfectly. I think I read somewhere that eventually Zagg plans to fix the issue (with enough complaints).

Just throwing my two cents in. Love the protector overall.

Skullmonkey
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 308

DONATE TO ME
I only see 1 sensor in that area and I have it barely uncovered by the cut out. Working fine for me.
Devices: Galazy S 3 (Temp until my Nexus 5), Nexus 10
Retired: Evo LTE, Transformer Infinity, Transformer Prime, Evo 4G, Samsung Moment, Samsung Rant, Sanyo Katana.

Google Now Cards on your homescreens!

Hosting isn't cheap. If you would like direct downloads, please consider donating: Donate via PayPal

ticois2nice
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by henderjr View Post
I bought one from Best Buy and it messed up the proximity sensor. So when I'd call someone or get a phone call the screen would turn off immediately and wouldn't come back on without hitting the power button. The proximity sensor is just to the left of the hole they put in. The sensor they put the hole in for is the light sensor (I believe). I cut my Zagg to make it a wider rectangle instead of a circular hole and now the proximity sensor works perfectly. I think I read somewhere that eventually Zagg plans to fix the issue (with enough complaints).

Just throwing my two cents in. Love the protector overall.
Same here bought my hd screen from bb now having problems with my sensor. I had to remove the screen

Sent from my EVO 4g Lte

henderjr
Old
(Last edited by henderjr; 31st May 2012 at 05:44 PM.)
Thanks Meter 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullmonkey View Post
I only see 1 sensor in that area and I have it barely uncovered by the cut out. Working fine for me.
There are two sensors. The light sensor and then proximity sensor. The proximity sensor is hard to see as it's just left of the light sensor. You'll see it light up (it's red) when on a call. It's there, very dim, but there. And for some reason some users with screen protectors, myself included, have had issues with Zagg since they didn't include the hole for that sensor.

liemydude
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Anyone have an idea when Zags will fix this issue? I bought the HD screen protector but haven't installed it

Sent From My EVO LTE

regalpimpin
Old
Thanks Meter 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by liemydude View Post
Anyone have an idea when Zags will fix this issue? I bought the HD screen protector but haven't installed it

Sent From My EVO LTE
If you haven't installed it yet then use a razor blade and make the hole they already have there a bit larger to the left.

Mathman85
Old
Thanks Meter 112
I have the Zagg from Best Buy and the sensor cutout is fine. The shield itself is a couple millimeters too narrow, though. On my EVO 4G, it went edge to edge; this one leaves a little space on each side. Not a deal breaker, but the edge of the shield seems to catch lint easily.

And for those of you who, like me, got the screen protector and then realized they kind of want the back cover, too (damn fingerprints), you can contact Zagg for a warranty replacement, select "upgrade" and pay an extra $10 to get the full cover. Given the cost, I ordered a $4 full body protector from Amazon, but if that one sucks, I'll give that a shot. At least the option is there.

regalpimpin
Old
Thanks Meter 205
Just got off the phone with Zagg. They are sending me the "revised" shield. Shipping costs on them.

Seems pretty clear they are well aware it is causing issues.

I'll just deal with the proximity sensor issues until that one comes, if it's different i'll post a pic so everyone can see the change.

The Following User Says Thank You to regalpimpin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]