Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,541 Members 52,811 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Help me to Find the Lapdock for Droid 3

Tip us?

bogdan_wrc
Old
Thanks Meter 48
ok, so i received the dock today, changed the connectos, connected the phone (its not 100% connected, there is still 10% of the silver part of the connectors which remain outside), but the screen does not start.
connected to the outlet..and still no answer.
shall i try something else?

bogdan_wrc
Old
Thanks Meter 48
so i managed to make it work, but it shows me its connected to dock, only when the lid is closed. once i open the lid, the phone disconnects. any help?

spunker88
Old
Thanks Meter 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdan_wrc View Post
so i managed to make it work, but it shows me its connected to dock, only when the lid is closed. once i open the lid, the phone disconnects. any help?
You could try plugging in only one of the two cables by opening the lapdock and unscrewing them. If you just plug in HDMI it should work similar to when you connect it to a TV with HDMI. Then try microUSB once you know the display/HDMI works.
Motorola Droid Bionic
Stock 4.1.2 Rooted
CM11 4.4 Safestrap

HP Touchpad
Evervolv 4.4

Toshiba Encore
Windows 8.1
The Following User Says Thank You to spunker88 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

husker_fan
Old
Thanks Meter 1
In case anyone is wondering I never got mine to work. The hdmi appears to work as the display is mirrored, but thats it. No sound or anything. It must me the usb that doesnt work.

I really want this to work as its not only cheap, but would be very convenient for me at work.

Is it possible its just a defective unit and ordering a new one from a different website would result in positive results?

spunker88
Old
Thanks Meter 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker_fan View Post
In case anyone is wondering I never got mine to work. The hdmi appears to work as the display is mirrored, but thats it. No sound or anything. It must me the usb that doesnt work.

I really want this to work as its not only cheap, but would be very convenient for me at work.

Is it possible its just a defective unit and ordering a new one from a different website would result in positive results?
Sound is sent over HDMI so that should work even without USB. Do you have an HDMI capable TV and a microHDMI to HDMI cable that you could test with to see if your phone can send picture/sound over HDMI. This is supported by the Droid 3 so it should work fine no matter what unless your lapdock is defective. USB on the other hand isn't really supported and can be troublesome at times, but it should at least charge.
Motorola Droid Bionic
Stock 4.1.2 Rooted
CM11 4.4 Safestrap

HP Touchpad
Evervolv 4.4

Toshiba Encore
Windows 8.1

husker_fan
Old
Thanks Meter 1
the usb doesnt do anything at all, when I plug it in there is no change at all on the lapdock or the phone, no charging or anything. I've tried more than one phone as well.

I'm about 99% sure its the lapdock. It came with instructions from a foreign country, so who no knows if it was a refurb or just junk that was pawned off on me. I'd attempt a refund, but since a dremel on the plastic and wouldnt warranty it, even though that has nothing to do with the ports (I didn't damage them).

gunsjoe
Old
(Last edited by gunsjoe; 8th July 2012 at 09:21 PM.) Reason: Subject is incorrect it is a lapdock for an atrix.
Thanks Meter 3
Default my 100 works

So after I got the dock took it apart and looked closely, there are plastic boots around the connectors that are basically d shaped so when you try to turn the connectors around they don't fit correctly although you can mess with it and make it work it seemed to me that it is very hard to get the usb connector to connect every time. You have to remove the metallic tape to see the shape of the boots. You can see the shape of one of the plastic boots in the attached photo (sorry for the glare).

My fix was to use a hot knife cut the boots in half, take them off, flip them around and hot glue them back into place. After this procedure the connectors are are held in place correctly. Also plugging them into the phone before screwing the bracket down helped tremendously. The nice part of hot glue is you can just pull it apart and scrape it off if things are not just right.

I accidentally broke three wires on the usb connector and had to re-solder them. Then it took fixing one of the wires twice. I also made the holes larger before trying to put it together. It took about 6 tries in all to get it right (including just turning the connectors around before I was determined to dramatically improve it). Then I put a little more hot glue along the bottom of the connectors to strengthen up the wires. I used a wedge shaped grinder on each end of the mount to knock the ridges down as well. I didn't put the little spacer plastic back. The phone fits great and the connectors are very stable.

Now over 95% of the time I dock it and it just works. There has been a few times where the screen didn't go to the correct size or the sound didn't work and once hdmi didn't detect anything but I feel confident it will work every time I go to use it and reconnecting it fixes it.

I have a stock global d3 rooted, swipe is turned off so I don't see that issue and I love this thing.

I took it on vacation and played Lushington Springs with a bluetooth mouse everywhere I went. Everyone asked about it and it works so good I even connected a couple other people's phones (a bionic and a razor). I watched movies on the airplane it is small enough to have it fully open on your lap while sitting on the plane. The keyboard is great and typing txt messages on this is a pleasure. Anyhow I can't recommend getting a lapdock enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lapdock100.png
Views:	124
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	1185418  
The Following User Says Thank You to gunsjoe For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gunsjoe
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker_fan View Post
the usb doesnt do anything at all
I had the same problem until I cut the boots in half and hot glued them. Quite a pain but worth it. It is basically just not sitting up high enough.

DaDaDub
Old
Thanks Meter 0
So guys, any info or ideas, how to get real resolution on a screen?
Something like realHDMI on DroidX?

spunker88
Old
Thanks Meter 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDaDub View Post
So guys, any info or ideas, how to get real resolution on a screen?
Something like realHDMI on DroidX?
All that program seems to do is make the DroidX's HDMI mirror everything like the Droid 3's already does. What we need is a way to send video out the HDMI only and also not have it upscale, similar to how it works on the Bionic/Razr. They are basically the same hardware so it should work, unless there isn't enough RAM allocated to the graphics on our Droid 3s.

This would work ideal under ICS or JB since they support switching between tablet and phone UIs, you could have it switch to tablet mode while changing resolutions when HDMI is connected. I'm just not sure if its possible. Maybe something kexec could manage but it would likely be low on the priority list.
Motorola Droid Bionic
Stock 4.1.2 Rooted
CM11 4.4 Safestrap

HP Touchpad
Evervolv 4.4

Toshiba Encore
Windows 8.1

Tags
lapdock