Android TV Launcher Pushed to Google Play

Over the past decade, the tech universe has seen two drastic and widely contrasting changes with … more

Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] old iphone reception > evo 3d?

OP curto

2nd June 2012, 06:05 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 10

142 posts
More
my friend has an iphone 3gs and we're both on the same carrier. she gets way way better reception with her iphone and i am wondering why. i read a couple threads that suggest the antennae of the evo being at the bottom being the problem cause when you hold it your hand blocks the signal, however if i place both phones side by side and not even touch them the iphone signal is still a lot better. how is it that a nearly 3 year old phone smashes a modern day smart phone in terms of reception?
2nd June 2012, 06:36 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

42 posts
Are both phones using the same speed of network? I didn't think the iphone 3gs did the 3G or 4G? I thought it was only a 2G phone.
2nd June 2012, 08:45 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

142 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thakk

Are both phones using the same speed of network? I didn't think the iphone 3gs did the 3G or 4G? I thought it was only a 2G phone.

yes both using 3G, the original iphone only had 2G. the iphone 3G and up have both
2nd June 2012, 01:36 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 828

4,540 posts
Try upgrading your radio,profile and prl. Also you can try this to see if it will help

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1153371

#Root-Hack_Mod*Always\
2nd June 2012, 02:53 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

142 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by laie1472

Try upgrading your radio,profile and prl. Also you can try this to see if it will help

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1153371

#Root-Hack_Mod*Always\

what do you mean by profile and prl if you can be bothered to explain?
2nd June 2012, 03:03 PM   |  #6  
Account currently disabled
Flag Ocoee, FL
Thanks Meter: 214

624 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by curto

what do you mean by profile and prl if you can be bothered to explain?

You go to settings > update > profile/prl

Prl tells the phone about any new towers that are available in your area.

I think profile... No, still don't know what profile does.

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium
2nd June 2012, 03:20 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

142 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datguy_n_Disguy

You go to settings > update > profile/prl

eh? settings as in on the phone.. and then "update" ? i aint got no update thing in settings, could you be specific?
2nd June 2012, 04:06 PM   |  #8  
Forum Moderator
Flag Tampa-ish, FL
Thanks Meter: 6,183

5,562 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by curto

she gets way way better reception with her iphone and i am wondering why.

How do you know? By the signal meter? The signal meter on a phone is a joke. Like the battery meter on some phones (which show full until it drops like a rock and dies), the signal meter can be falsified as well. The iPhone on AT&T shows a 4g connection even though it only uses their 3g network. On the stock Rom, our evo3d shows a 3g connection even if it is only 1x. I would test bandwidth using Speedtest and if those are comparable, then don't sweat it.

Sent from my PG86100
Last edited by coal686; 2nd June 2012 at 04:09 PM.
2nd June 2012, 04:17 PM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member

142 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by coal686

How do you know? By the signal meter? The signal meter on a phone is a joke. Like the battery meter on some phones (which show full until it drops like a rock and dies), the signal meter can be falsified as well. The iPhone on AT&T shows a 4g connection even though it only uses their 3g network. On the stock Rom, our evo3d shows a 3g connection even if it is only 1x. I would test bandwidth using Speedtest and if those are comparable, then don't sweat it.

Sent from my PG86100

she's definitely got better reception. we're talking like, I'll have no bars, or 1, and nothing internet wise is working but she'll have like 2-3 and her net will be flying.
2nd June 2012, 04:26 PM   |  #10  
Middle Earth
Thanks Meter: 353

1,478 posts
More
Interesting
There may be something to this.

There is a little shop I like to shop at. The shop is inside a building with a metal roof. Now you would not expect to get a good signal in there. I don't.

I have go outside in the parking lot to make a phone call. A friend of mine's daughter whips out her Iphone one day and starts talking away while in this same store. I asked her who her carrier was. Att. She gets 3 bars in the store.

I researched it and there is only one Att Tower in that area. so we are both using the exact same tower and using the exact same carrier but her reception is so much better.

In general though I don't usually experience a problem with signal strength almost anywhere else I go. No dropped calls ever with the EVO 3D.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread