FORUMS

Galaxy S6 & Edge get €100 Price Cut—New Models Incoming

Samsung has dropped the price of both the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge by … more

How To Port Fully Featured Sony Xperia Z4 Camera

Xperia Z4’s hardware may not impress, but its software is definitely … more

Experimental TWRP Available For Moto G 2015

XDA Senior Member squid2 has posted experimental builds of TWRP for the Moto G … more

Sunday Debate: How Can We Get a No-Compromise Phone?

Join us in a fun Sunday Debate on Compromises. Come with your opinions and … more

[TUTORIAL ] Beginning development-the easy way

1,044 posts
Thanks Meter: 420
 
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
1st June 2012, 09:53 AM |#11  
ph.miki's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Belgrade
Thanks Meter: 1,019
 
1010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerot

I don't know but it's surely different for odin(I'm not sure that you can).And I don't know on mac either since I use ubuntu and windows. You can look up info on this on the official Android dev website.

Sent from my Optimus Me using xda premium

Odlicno objasnjeno za pocetnike. Svaka cast
 
 
1st June 2012, 05:13 PM |#12  
TheBadFish's Avatar
Member
Flag South West
Thanks Meter: 19
 
More
Good Beginners Guide. Thank you.

But 90% of it can also be found here:
http://source.android.com/source/initializing.html
This is what i used to build android for the pandaboard a few weeks ago.

And then I have a few questions.

1.
Why do you compile git when you can also download it from apt-sources? Imho this is just confusing for beginners.

2.
Where do you use git in your tutorial?

3.
Didn't you forget lunch and make at the very end of your tutorial?
". build/envsetup.sh" only sets up the environment, imho
(see also here: http://source.android.com/source/building.html)
The Following User Says Thank You to TheBadFish For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st June 2012, 08:04 PM |#13  
Gigadroid's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Osnabrück
Thanks Meter: 416
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerot

First you will need to get proprietary drivers from your device.
Connect your device via USB and enter the following commands (from the root of your source repository):


Code:
cd device/xxx/xxx where x is the path to your device
./extract-files.sh
cd ../../..

How do I find out what the path is from my device?
1st June 2012, 08:23 PM |#14  
sztupy's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 860
 
Donate to Me
More
I would add the option to install Ubuntu in a VM. Both VMWare player and VirtualBox are free and well supported. This way one can actually create some pre-packaged images with which one can start development right away. In fact I've already made two of them a year ago (one for Froyo and one for Gingerbread):

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=881845
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1022407

One might also make on for ICS (for that Ubuntu 12.04 is also good, and since VMWare Player is free one could use that instead of VirtualBox, as VMWP has more user-friendly features)
1st June 2012, 09:05 PM |#15  
tenchi19134's Avatar
Junior Member
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
If I had a nickle for every time I've seen a thread like this, I would have... a nickle.

Thank you from the bottom of my /dev/hda1
1st June 2012, 11:10 PM |#16  
nerotNS's Avatar
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag 45.2500° N, 19.8500° E (Novi Sad)
Thanks Meter: 420
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sztupy

I would add the option to install Ubuntu in a VM. Both VMWare player and VirtualBox are free and well supported. This way one can actually create some pre-packaged images with which one can start development right away. In fact I've already made two of them a year ago (one for Froyo and one for Gingerbread):

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=881845
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1022407

One might also make on for ICS (for that Ubuntu 12.04 is also good, and since VMWare Player is free one could use that instead of VirtualBox, as VMWP has more user-friendly features)

True however unless you have a LOT of ram and a hexa-core CPU compilation under a vm is significantly slower and that's why I didn't add it.But the procedure is the same anyway.

Sent from my Optimus Me using xda premium
Last edited by nerotNS; 1st July 2012 at 08:13 AM.
1st June 2012, 11:12 PM |#17  
nerotNS's Avatar
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag 45.2500° N, 19.8500° E (Novi Sad)
Thanks Meter: 420
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigadroid

How do I find out what the path is from my device?

Google is your friend

Sent from my Optimus Me using xda premium
1st June 2012, 11:15 PM |#18  
nerotNS's Avatar
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag 45.2500° N, 19.8500° E (Novi Sad)
Thanks Meter: 420
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBadFish

Good Beginners Guide. Thank you.

But 90% of it can also be found here:
http://source.android.com/source/initializing.html
This is what i used to build android for the pandaboard a few weeks ago.

And then I have a few questions.

1.
Why do you compile git when you can also download it from apt-sources? Imho this is just confusing for beginners.

2.
Where do you use git in your tutorial?

3.
Didn't you forget lunch and make at the very end of your tutorial?
". build/envsetup.sh" only sets up the environment, imho
(see also here: http://source.android.com/source/building.html)

1.Idk I found this thing simple as well

2.I will review it later since I'm on my phone now and its 00:13 here :P

3.I don't think it's necessary since I use the same procedure for my rom compilation. I will add it tough just in case someone gets an error.Thanks for the tip.

Sent from my Optimus Me using xda premium
Last edited by nerotNS; 1st June 2012 at 11:24 PM.
3rd June 2012, 12:35 AM |#19  
Insidious's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Southern Maryland
Thanks Meter: 255
 
More
I'll try this on my six core seeing as it would make a perfect devving machine.
12th June 2012, 03:41 PM |#20  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
just following
Just posting here to follow. I will have to try this tonight. This looks awesome!
15th June 2012, 04:07 PM |#21  
Panos_dm's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 101
 
More
@nerot:

About the part where you say we need to get the proprietary drivers...I understand (by using all my development noobness) that the drivers are specific for each kernel/version of android to every device. That means that we can only build the current version that already is in our phone, correct?

I therefore want to know whether I can use your guide to port i.e. android 2.3 to a device which is supported up to 2.2 version only.

Sent from my amazing 10.1 galaxy tab

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
compile, development, easy, source
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes