[RECOVERY] Safestrap Recovery v3.7x [05/15/2014 V3.73 - TWRP 2.7]

Search This thread

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011
SAFESTRAP v3.73 (2nd-System Bootstrap / Recovery)

ATTENTION: I will be stopping official Safestrap support on 9/1/2014. For more information please see:
https://plus.google.com/111109372727398356624/posts/AtoJ3xLj35b

** INSERT STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm not responsible for any damage you do to your phone using my tools. Always have a fastboot available for disaster recovery. **

Download the APK Installer:
Mirror 1: Goo.im
Mirror 2: Crackflasher
FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS: How to Safestrap
[ DOUBLE-CHECK you have the "Maserati" version ]

NOTABLE TWRP-BASE CHANGES:
  • Key/button vibration in recovery and MANY more 2.7 updates
  • Screen saving in recovery. Can set the timeout under Advanced->Settings->Screen *Don't freak out of the screen is dark, try the power button.*
  • SElinux support in recovery
  • and much much more.. check the TWRP changelog here: http://www.teamw.in/project/twrp2

DEVICE SPECIFIC SAFESTRAP CHANGES:
  • [05/15] (3.73) Bugfix for dual SD card UMS mounting and pull in TWRP changes
  • [04/14] (3.72) Mostly other device updates
  • [01/15] (3.71) Code cleanup
  • [01/15] (3.71) Minor hijack updates
  • [12/18] (3.70) Mount cleanup during hijack / debugging output
  • [12/18] (3.70) Splashscreen: Instant stock boot key (needs to be set for Moto OMAP4's still)
  • [11/13] (3.65) recovery init.rc cleanup
  • [11/13] (3.65) fix updater build for cm 10.1 and 10.2
  • [09/20] (3.60) Better handling for virtual images > 2gb
  • [09/20] (3.60) Much improved block device handling
  • [09/20] (3.60) Bugfix in script translation
  • [09/20] (3.60) hijack / init.rc tweaks
  • [09/06] (3.53) Fixed mass_storage in recovery (via Mount menu)
  • [09/06] (3.53) Added Webtop to partition backup list (optional)
  • [09/06] (3.53) New virtual systems created will be 640mb (got reset 600mb)
  • [09/06] (3.53) Fixed file selector when changing from internal to external storage (previously location wouldn't update)
  • [09/05] (3.52) added "Reboot to Recovery" in APK
  • [09/04] (3.51) Disabled screen blank while creating a rom-slot
  • [09/04] (3.51) Fixed openrecovery script processing for stock slot to re-inject hijack after .zip install (cmupdater on stock now works)
  • [08/30] (3.50) If running a new CM10.1/CM10.2 ROM (08/30 or later) you *should* be able to install Safestrap and update the recovery w/o having to go back to stock. If Safestrap shows "recovery not installed" while you're on a ROM-slot, then that ROM hasn't been updated and it won't work. Swap back to stock ROM and update Safestrap from there.
  • [08/30] (3.50) Worked on stock ROM flashing and *should* work with CM10.1/CM10.2 builds on or after 08/30 *WILL NOT WORK WITH OLDER ROMs.*
  • [08/30] (3.50) Battery meter is back
  • [08/30] (3.50) Updated TWRP theme
  • [08/30] (3.50) Added partition sizes to ROM-slot screen when it's ACTIVE
  • [08/30] (3.50) Added "Check FS" function to ROM-slot screen when it's ACTIVE
  • [08/30] (3.50) Complete re-write against TWRP 2.6 base (up from version 2.2.2.1): TWRP changelog for reference
  • [12/29] (3.11) Allow use of custom updater-binary in .zip files for flashing on stock ROM (virtual slots still use prebuilt updater-binary in recovery).
  • [12/29] (3.11) BUGFIX: Fixed fake flash error at the end of a .zip install. (No real error, .zip installs fine)
  • [12/29] (3.10) Early support for booting custom ROMs on stock partitions.
  • [12/29] (3.10) Enable flashing to stock ROM *BE CAREFUL -- NEW FEATURE -- STILL TESTING*
    • After .zip installations, nandroid restore or system wipe on the stock ROM: the current Safestrap files are restored to the system partition (Doesn't include the APK in /data -- so if you're restoring an old backup, be sure to update the Safestrap APK)
    • During the Safestrap files restore a check is done to be sure there are minimal files on /system to re-enter Safestrap
  • [12/29] (3.10) New virtual system partitions will be 640mb (closer match to stock RAZR/D4)
  • [12/27] (3.07) Bugfix: missed some changes in Safestrap 3.06
  • [12/26] (3.06) Bugfix/Update for JB4.1 OTA for DroidRAZR (Non-JB devices can also use)
  • [10/17] (3.05) Fixed SD card / emmc sharing in recovery (UMS)
  • [10/17] (3.05) Fixed recovery installation/removal from ROM-slots
  • [10/14] Updated to v3.04 BETA.
  • [10/14] Recovery is now based off TWRP 2.2.2.1 (fully featured touch-based recovery)
  • [10/14] Can create up to 4 Virtual ROM-slots to flash ROMs to and when "Active" ALL TWRP functions affect that ROM-slot (For example: Flashing .zips, Backup and Restore)
  • [10/14] Nearly instant swapping from ROM to ROM
  • [10/14] User selectable data partition sizes during ROM slot creation: 1GB, 2GB or 3GB
  • [10/14] ROM slots are saved on the internal emmc space so that preinstall and webtop partitions are no longer used and shouldn't break OTAs.
  • [10/14] Charging in recovery
  • [10/14] Supports "Reboot Recovery" from Android OS

Entry to recovery via Splashscreen on boot-up. The screen stays up for around 8-10 seconds and if you hit the menu button, it takes you to Safestrap Recovery.

SPECIAL THANKS TO:

• The entire TWRP team who has built an AMAZING recovery system.
  • The testers which have helped in past and present versions of Safestrap, knowing that it could mean they brick their devices.

As always, let me know what you think!

SCREENSHOTS (showing slightly older TWRP base)

Attachments

• ss-3.50-01-main.jpg
    ss-3.50-01-main.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 2,392
  • ss-3.50-02-choose-romslot.jpg
    ss-3.50-02-choose-romslot.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 2,143
  • ss-3.50-03-create-romslot.jpg
    ss-3.50-03-create-romslot.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 2,104
Last edited:

kwyrt

Apr 25, 2011
Columbus
Tol flash the leak or to not flash the leak

Hashcode,

There seem to be too differing opinions on whether or not it is safe to flash the ICS leak or not. Being the android guru that you are, would you mind weighing in or whether or not this is safe to do? It seems, based on the fact the people are able to go from .200 to .206 that, theoretically, you should be able to use the same method to flash the OTA when it comes out and get back on the upgrade path. What are your thoughts? Thanks!

bdsullivan

Dec 23, 2011
Just used safestrap 2.0 to do a full system backup. I think the confusing thing about pressing the keys to enter or skip the safestrap menu is the lack of haptic feedback when pressing the menu or search softkeys.
Thanks for your work hashcode. Without you the D4 would be lost.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011
Hashcode,

There seem to be too differing opinions on whether or not it is safe to flash the ICS leak or not. Being the android guru that you are, would you mind weighing in or whether or not this is safe to do? It seems, based on the fact the people are able to go from .200 to .206 that, theoretically, you should be able to use the same method to flash the OTA when it comes out and get back on the upgrade path. What are your thoughts? Thanks!

I don't recommend people jump on the ICS leaks just yet. But, if you do and are looking to make backups etc, then Safestrap is probably what you need. Just make sure to do the initial backup of your non-safe system (don't need webtop) so that you can put everything back the way you found it.

Just used safestrap 2.0 to do a full system backup. I think the confusing thing about pressing the keys to enter or skip the safestrap menu is the lack of haptic feedback when pressing the menu or search softkeys.
Thanks for your work hashcode. Without you the D4 would be lost.

Ah the haptic feedback. Yes, I probably should add that back in. As it is, I'm not super thrilled w/ the touch response in the new Safestrap. I probably need to work on it as well. There are times when touches are "lost" and then double up (for 2 touches at once). But hey, it's better than nothing.

bdsullivan

Dec 23, 2011
I could not agree with you more. I am ecstatic that i was able to make a backup. Now i can work on getting rid of some of this bloat without sacrificing the ability to update again.

bonesjones

Dec 9, 2009
Birmingham
I'm behind, say I'm running stock, with safestrap with aokp.

What's the best way to install the leak then install safetrap 2.0?

1. Go to non safe
2. Flash leak
3. Root the leak
4. Install safestrap

That about right?

Any gotchas we should know about?

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2

tcrews

May 4, 2010
android.snkbitten.com
I'm behind, say I'm running stock, with safestrap with aokp.

What's the best way to install the leak then install safetrap 2.0?

1. Go to non safe
2. Flash leak
3. Root the leak
4. Install safestrap

That about right?

Any gotchas we should know about?

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2

Follow the instructions posted but the basic rundown will be..

1. Fastboot .219 images
2. Re root phone with motofail.
3. UPDATE SUPERUSER BINARY!!!
4. Use Voodoo rootkeeper to backup root, temp unroot, and restore root.
5. Install .206 ICS leak with stock recovery
6. Use Voodoo Rootkeeper to restore root.
7. Install Safestrap 2.0

bonesjones

Dec 9, 2009
Birmingham
Done, and pretty sweet.
No more data issues!
No more not being able to do video!
No more not being able to use flash!
No more weird youtube glitch!

Now to wait to wait for an AOKP port and I'll be perfectly happy!

...Until the next android comes along...

strakajagr

May 26, 2008
Have you successfully removed any of this awful mototrash? It almost makes me want to go back to CM9's dailys. It's that awful.

jeffc83

Aug 4, 2010
Philadelphia "burbs"
Have you successfully removed any of this awful mototrash? It almost makes me want to go back to CM9's dailys. It's that awful.

I know your questions was not directed towards me but I used Titanium Backup to freeze all of the bloatware, then realized you can do this within the OS under the APPS list. There is a disable button in each app details screen. I froze almost EVERYTHING, except for the My Gallery/music apps. I pretty much did the same thing when I was running GB...was worried that something would cause a bootloop but was very careful I guess. Battery is MUCH better now!!!

strakajagr

May 26, 2008
Yeah I've done that for the most part. I just really can't stand the motoblur. It's so frustratingly cartoony and awful and I'm really conflicted about what is worse, the intermittent data or this crappy interface.

flamefangahs

Jul 12, 2009
Yeah I've done that for the most part. I just really can't stand the motoblur. It's so frustratingly cartoony and awful and I'm really conflicted about what is worse, the intermittent data or this crappy interface.

Lol tell us how you REALLY feel. I have to agree with you though. Motoblur is dog ugly but then again so are most of the custom interfaces. I prefer vanilla android.

Sent from my DROID4 using XDA

Reactions: mike253

gdeeble

Oct 8, 2011
Actually I fixed mine. Make sure you install busybox when you root your phone. I just used the free busybox installer and it fixed it where Safe Strap installed on 208. Woo Hoo! My data from 206 also restored. Thank you god for Hashcode and this wonderful tool. :-D

Last edited:
Reactions: Grizzy3

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SAFESTRAP v3.73 (2nd-System Bootstrap / Recovery)

ATTENTION: I will be stopping official Safestrap support on 9/1/2014. For more information please see:
    https://plus.google.com/111109372727398356624/posts/AtoJ3xLj35b

** INSERT STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm not responsible for any damage you do to your phone using my tools. Always have a fastboot available for disaster recovery. **

Download the APK Installer:
    Mirror 1: Goo.im
    Mirror 2: Crackflasher
    FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS: How to Safestrap
    [ DOUBLE-CHECK you have the "Maserati" version ]

NOTABLE TWRP-BASE CHANGES:
    • Key/button vibration in recovery and MANY more 2.7 updates
    • Screen saving in recovery. Can set the timeout under Advanced->Settings->Screen *Don't freak out of the screen is dark, try the power button.*
    • SElinux support in recovery
    • and much much more.. check the TWRP changelog here: http://www.teamw.in/project/twrp2

DEVICE SPECIFIC SAFESTRAP CHANGES:
    • [05/15] (3.73) Bugfix for dual SD card UMS mounting and pull in TWRP changes
    • [04/14] (3.72) Mostly other device updates
    • [01/15] (3.71) Code cleanup
    • [01/15] (3.71) Minor hijack updates
    • [12/18] (3.70) Mount cleanup during hijack / debugging output
    • [12/18] (3.70) Splashscreen: Instant stock boot key (needs to be set for Moto OMAP4's still)
    • [11/13] (3.65) recovery init.rc cleanup
    • [11/13] (3.65) fix updater build for cm 10.1 and 10.2
    • [09/20] (3.60) Better handling for virtual images > 2gb
    • [09/20] (3.60) Much improved block device handling
    • [09/20] (3.60) Bugfix in script translation
    • [09/20] (3.60) hijack / init.rc tweaks
    • [09/06] (3.53) Fixed mass_storage in recovery (via Mount menu)
    • [09/06] (3.53) Added Webtop to partition backup list (optional)
    • [09/06] (3.53) New virtual systems created will be 640mb (got reset 600mb)
    • [09/06] (3.53) Fixed file selector when changing from internal to external storage (previously location wouldn't update)
    • [09/05] (3.52) added "Reboot to Recovery" in APK
    • [09/04] (3.51) Disabled screen blank while creating a rom-slot
    • [09/04] (3.51) Fixed openrecovery script processing for stock slot to re-inject hijack after .zip install (cmupdater on stock now works)
    • [08/30] (3.50) If running a new CM10.1/CM10.2 ROM (08/30 or later) you *should* be able to install Safestrap and update the recovery w/o having to go back to stock. If Safestrap shows "recovery not installed" while you're on a ROM-slot, then that ROM hasn't been updated and it won't work. Swap back to stock ROM and update Safestrap from there.
    • [08/30] (3.50) Worked on stock ROM flashing and *should* work with CM10.1/CM10.2 builds on or after 08/30 *WILL NOT WORK WITH OLDER ROMs.*
    • [08/30] (3.50) Battery meter is back
    • [08/30] (3.50) Updated TWRP theme
    • [08/30] (3.50) Added partition sizes to ROM-slot screen when it's ACTIVE
    • [08/30] (3.50) Added "Check FS" function to ROM-slot screen when it's ACTIVE
    • [08/30] (3.50) Complete re-write against TWRP 2.6 base (up from version 2.2.2.1): TWRP changelog for reference
    • [12/29] (3.11) Allow use of custom updater-binary in .zip files for flashing on stock ROM (virtual slots still use prebuilt updater-binary in recovery).
    • [12/29] (3.11) BUGFIX: Fixed fake flash error at the end of a .zip install. (No real error, .zip installs fine)
    • [12/29] (3.10) Early support for booting custom ROMs on stock partitions.
    • [12/29] (3.10) Enable flashing to stock ROM *BE CAREFUL -- NEW FEATURE -- STILL TESTING*
      • After .zip installations, nandroid restore or system wipe on the stock ROM: the current Safestrap files are restored to the system partition (Doesn't include the APK in /data -- so if you're restoring an old backup, be sure to update the Safestrap APK)
      • During the Safestrap files restore a check is done to be sure there are minimal files on /system to re-enter Safestrap
    • [12/29] (3.10) New virtual system partitions will be 640mb (closer match to stock RAZR/D4)
    • [12/27] (3.07) Bugfix: missed some changes in Safestrap 3.06
    • [12/26] (3.06) Bugfix/Update for JB4.1 OTA for DroidRAZR (Non-JB devices can also use)
    • [10/17] (3.05) Fixed SD card / emmc sharing in recovery (UMS)
    • [10/17] (3.05) Fixed recovery installation/removal from ROM-slots
    • [10/14] Updated to v3.04 BETA.
    • [10/14] Recovery is now based off TWRP 2.2.2.1 (fully featured touch-based recovery)
    • [10/14] Can create up to 4 Virtual ROM-slots to flash ROMs to and when "Active" ALL TWRP functions affect that ROM-slot (For example: Flashing .zips, Backup and Restore)
    • [10/14] Nearly instant swapping from ROM to ROM
    • [10/14] User selectable data partition sizes during ROM slot creation: 1GB, 2GB or 3GB
    • [10/14] ROM slots are saved on the internal emmc space so that preinstall and webtop partitions are no longer used and shouldn't break OTAs.
    • [10/14] Charging in recovery
    • [10/14] Supports "Reboot Recovery" from Android OS

Entry to recovery via Splashscreen on boot-up. The screen stays up for around 8-10 seconds and if you hit the menu button, it takes you to Safestrap Recovery.

SPECIAL THANKS TO:

• The entire TWRP team who has built an AMAZING recovery system.
    • The testers which have helped in past and present versions of Safestrap, knowing that it could mean they brick their devices.

As always, let me know what you think!

SCREENSHOTS (showing slightly older TWRP base)
    Safestrap v3.72 posted in the OP.

Main changes are base TWRP updates for 2.7.0.0

Enjoy
    As you may have noticed I will be stopping official Safestrap support on 9/1/2014.

I am seeing if I can get some other devs trained up on how to build Safestrap, but as always there are no guarantees.

Thank you for all your encouragement and support over the years.
    Updated the OP w/ D/L + information for Safestrap Recovery v3.04. Enjoy.
    SafeStrap 3.75 without the splashscreen at boot time

Here SafeStrap 3.75 without the splashcreen during the boot for the maserati, spyder, targa and umts_spyder.

Here SafeStrap 3.75 without the splashcreen during the boot and with the support for the unused partitions for the maserati and spyder:
    - /preinstall (~ 600mb) for /system, /webtop (~ 1,4gb) for /data and /cache shared with the stock slot.

To enter in SS you can select BP Tools in the Boot Mode Selection Menu(VolUp&&VolDown+PowerOn). In this way SafeStrap is more similar to a standard TWRP recovery.

Thank to @Hashcode for SafeStrap, @stargo for the version 3.75 and @Asianism for the idea to remove the splashscreen in this way.