[Q] HTC Desire partially broken
While trying to install S2E i managed to partially ruin the functionality of my phone. I have an HTC Desire (GSM) running Cyanogenmod 7.1 stable release. I have S-off, root and ClockworkMod Recovery v184.108.40.206.
(I wanted to install a new SD card. In the process I managed to loose all my previous SD card data and I only have a 2 months old back-up from when I was running a different android version, so that will not be very helpful at recuperating many things, but even without the old SD card my phone was still operating correctly besides being unable to run the apps installed on the card. I presume this issue is unrelated to my current problem.)
Here is how I've think I've broken the phone:
- I used Gparted to format a new 8 GB microSD card (class 6) with 1 GB ext4 partition and a FAT32 partition.
- I installed S2E and checked all the options for the OS to use the external storage on the SD card partition.
- It turned out that my partition was not correctly identified by the OS (probably the issue was with using the built-in card reader of the laptop and not a stand alone USB card reader).
- I booted into Recovery Mode and re-formated the SD card with 1 GB of ext3, 32 GB of Swap and the rest as fat.
- After the restart the boot process took a very long time. When the OS finally booted I practically had a fresh install with none of my old settings available (shortcuts, wallpaper, apps etc.). Even the apps stored on the local memory disappeared (S2E, ROM manager, gmail, market etc.) and my home button no longer works. I am unable to receive phone calls since the phone automatically rejects incoming calls. I see incoming calls in the call log and I can make outgoing calls.
I presumed the issue is with mounting the sd-ext partition, but even if I tried to manually mount it after boot I see no change.
I followed these guides
to install parted and use 32fsck to see if the partitions are corrupt. I think I have no problems.
Here are the code reports of running parted:
GNU Parted 220.127.116.11.179-aef3
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
Model: SD 00000 (sd/mmc)
Disk /dev/block/mmcblk0: 7965MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 32.3kB 6909MB 6909MB primary fat32 lba
2 6909MB 7933MB 1024MB primary ext3
3 7933MB 7965MB 32.0MB primary linux-swap(v1)
e2fsck 1.41.6 (30-May-2009)
sd-ext: clean, 1091/499712 files, 129331/999425 blocks
Here is my fstab as well:
/dev/block/mtdblock4 /cache yaffs2 rw
/dev/block/mtdblock5 /data yaffs2 rw
/dev/block/mtdblock3 /system yaffs2 rw
/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /sdcard vfat rw
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /sd-ext ext3 rw
I presume that a fresh OS install will fix the issues. However I hope I can recover the settings stored on the ROM if I fix the sd-ext partition issue.
I will appreciate any suggestions you might have.
ps: adb push and fstab pull is working only when phone is in Recovery. If the CM7.1 is booted there is no fstab in /etc.