Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,303 Members 53,076 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Problems with root

Tip us?
 
GeekWilliam
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 24
Join Date: Apr 2012
Default Problems with root

I have been trying to root my phone. I ended up downgrading my phone back to 2.1, but when I try to flash a rom using the update.zip I end up getting the following errors:
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command (this comes up before even trying to run the update)

--Install From sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

I don't have root access. I haven't really found a method that I could understand fully. I want to flash a much better rom on this device. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 
danipoak
Old
#2  
danipoak's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 62
Posts: 407
Join Date: Feb 2012
I too am having problems rooting. Here is an output from adb of what is going on with me. I imagine it is something pretty simple.

Code:
Select Code
$ cd /data/local
$ chmod 04755 *
$ /data/local/flash_image misc /data/local/mtd0.img
[1]   Illegal instruction     /data/local/flash_image misc /data/local/mtd0.img
$ chmod 04755 * /data/local/flash_image misc /data/local/mtd0.img
Unable to chmod misc: No such file or directory
$
Thanks!
 
dav8or
Old
#3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 1
Join Date: Jan 2013
Default Illegal instruction

Quote:
Originally Posted by danipoak View Post
I too am having problems rooting. Here is an output from adb of what is going on with me. I imagine it is something pretty simple.

Code:
Select Code
$ cd /data/local
$ chmod 04755 *
$ /data/local/flash_image misc /data/local/mtd0.img
[1]   Illegal instruction     /data/local/flash_image misc /data/local/mtd0.img
$ chmod 04755 * /data/local/flash_image misc /data/local/mtd0.img
Unable to chmod misc: No such file or directory
$
Thanks!
I am having the same problem with the above error:
cd /data/local
$ chmod 04755 *
$ /data/local/flash_image misc /data/local/mtd0.img
[1] Illegal instruction /data/local/flash_image misc /data/local/mtd0.img

I am definitely a noob and could use a little help to get this old phone rooted so I can flash CyanogenMod 7.2.

Thanks,
Dan
My Touch 3G Slide on T-Mobile moving to AT&T
 
mobrien118
Old
(Last edited by mobrien118; 22nd February 2013 at 03:07 AM.) Reason: added info
#4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 15
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ballwin
Battery Low Me too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav8or View Post
I am having the same problem with the above error:
cd /data/local
$ chmod 04755 *
$ /data/local/flash_image misc /data/local/mtd0.img
[1] Illegal instruction /data/local/flash_image misc /data/local/mtd0.img

I am definitely a noob and could use a little help to get this old phone rooted so I can flash CyanogenMod 7.2.

Thanks,
Dan
My Touch 3G Slide on T-Mobile moving to AT&T
Same issue here when running flash_image.

Prior to attempting to run it, though, I can't get the "rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin" to work correctly. When I run it, debug mode never comes back until I reboot the device. So, I tried using superoneclick to root it, assuming that grants enough permission to run flash_image, so I'm not sure if this issue is related or not. (FYI: I'm using the cyanogenmod instructions, which I assume you're trying to do too). (Superonecliek DOES give me a root prompt [#])

Anybody have any ideas?
 
demkantor
Old
#5  
demkantor's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2611
Posts: 5,521
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: mpls
Default Re: Problems with root

Google search "install flash_image binary android"

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
 
mobrien118
Old
#6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 15
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ballwin
Quote:
Originally Posted by demkantor View Post
Google search "install flash_image binary android"

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
I have tried googling that, and almost every possible combination of "espresso, android, s-off, root, flash_image, misc, etc.".

I have tried at lease 4 different root methods:
One gets stuck at "adb push exploid /sqlite_stmt_journals" erroring: "failed to copy 'exploid' to '/sqlite_stmt_journals': Read-only file system"
One gets stuck at the place i described in my prior post.
Others fail otherwise.

One thing I haven't tried is factory resetting the phone (clear user data) before trying.

I've spent hours and hours researching and trying things for this. Just keep getting stuck.

I'll see how it goes from scratch tonight (forgot to bring my microSD card with me today).
 
mobrien118
Old
#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 15
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ballwin
Info 2 Solved on my end, if anyone else is wondering...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobrien118 View Post
One thing I haven't tried is factory resetting the phone (clear user data) before trying.

I'll see how it goes from scratch tonight
For some reason, factory resetting was the key.

Thanks for the suggestion to google, though.
 
KINGS1881
Old
#8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 1
Join Date: Jun 2013
Post problem with rooting

pls i nid help urgently.
i hav been on attemps to rooot my t-mobile mytouch 3g slide for more than four weeks but have been unable to get at anything untill i stumbled over the superoneclick method which helped me to effect root, but i got stocked at the point on of flashing clockmod recovery. instead of displaying the downgrading bar at the uper right angle in recovery mod after holding down volumedown and pressing power, it takes me to the this "image not found....." and the
fastboot
recovery
.bootlaoder
........
if i select recovery, it will tell me
E: cant open .......catche......bla bla bla,

it will display the options to r
reboot system
,....update.zip from sdcard,
wipe catche/factory reset
wipe catche/sdcard partition

(this is just an idea of what is displays not exactly word-for-word).
if i select install update.zip from sdcard it ends up telling me several junks and that update.zip file verification failed.

PLEASE WHAT DO I DO GUYS.ALMOST FED UP PLSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


TRENDING IN THEMER...