XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Tips on keeping D4 cool while using car dock

Tip us?

AMTrombley0924
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Tips on keeping D4 cool while using car dock

This has only happened once, but I was using bluetooth making a call and the navigator to get to a place I'd never been to before, both while the D4 was in the VZW car dock. The phone froze and I had to hard reset it (hold power + down for 20 sec). The back was kinda warm, so I figured the cause was that the phone was running hot from all of the tasks and it froze.

My question is, what do you all use to keep the phone cool? Any other theories on what caused this? Big picture, I want to know how to use these things without risking another freeze.

Thanks in advance for the help.

jsnweitzel
Old
Thanks Meter 201

DONATE TO ME
I do a good amount of traveling and use the dock pretty often. I haven't had it freeze but have had it stop charging due to overheat. Here are a couple of ideas to help.

1. Try cover the back side of the phone to block the sun.
2. Run your defroster (on cool only), the cool air will run over the dash.
The Following User Says Thank You to jsnweitzel For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jy3ng4
Old
Thanks Meter 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnweitzel View Post
Run your defroster (on cool only), the cool air will run over the dash.
This is what I do. I keep my defroster at high power on the lowest temperature and my phone generally doesn't go above 110F no matter how many apps I'm running or how bright the sun is (I use TempMonitor to give me status bar notifications if it's getting high.) Without the defroster on I've gotten up into the 120s and 130s. Not good
The Following User Says Thank You to jy3ng4 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]