5,606,588 Members 35,110 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Samsung Galaxy NOTE 10.1 hands on

Tip us?

floiancu
Old
(Last edited by floiancu; 8th June 2012 at 09:37 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 81
Thumbs up Samsung Galaxy NOTE 10.1 hands on

UPDATE: I had to take the videos down for the moment at Samsung's request. There is information that they are about to change some design features and specs, but I don't know when and what exactly. I'm sorry for the situation, but I assure you I'll post them back as soon as I get word of it! Thank you for your interest and patience

I've had the chance to play around with the Note 10.1, that's the tablet with the S Pen. The reason they've delayed the release is that they've changed it dramatically since the preview at the MWC. It now has a 1.4GHz quadcore processor (I think it's the Exynos on the SIII), a 5 MP camera (instead of the 3.15) and the back got a hyperglazed finish just as the SIII. I've had the pebble blue one and I'm not sure if there is a marble white one.

The S Pen is much bigger than the Note 5.3 (looks EXACTLY the same), but smaller than the model shown at the MWC and it now fits inside a vertical hole in the lower left side. An amazing software feature is the Photoshop Touch app which is brilliant (as you may see in my video).

Here are my videos:
Short hands on presentation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eueOIjW5cIo
S Pen and Photoshop Touch review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0b0SRT_D74

It's an astonishing device, clearly stepping way higher in the high end line and it works like a charm. If you have questions feel free to ask, but unfortunately I no longer have it to do extra demos.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to floiancu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

zooster
Old
Thanks Meter 170
Which is the resolution? Still stuck at that 1280x800??

HTC Sensation Z710e- ViperS 3.1.4

Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 GT-P7310 - StockRom V8

floiancu
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 81
Yes, but I had no problem with it. At 150 ppi it's quite ok in my opinion.

rubene66
Old
Thanks Meter 18
If the resolution will be the same it will not compete with the ipad and will not sell well and i will not buy it either.
Devices:

HTC One
ROM: 4.4.2 insertCoin 7.1-2 RC3 - SVN R110

Nexus 10
ROM: Thundercat

New Nexus 7(2013)
Rom: stock 4.4.2 with glich kernel

jaaka78
Old
Thanks Meter 85
Thanks for the videos! This is a first day purchase for me. Any news on the release date?

zooster
Old
Thanks Meter 170
Even 1920x1080 are too low for a 10.1. To compete with ipad visual quality they can barely put this resolution into a 8.9, but for a 10.1... no way it's too low.
Omg, Samsung is fond of low ppi especially if fullRGB, yes it's cheaper to build but OMG!

floiancu
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 81
Unfortunately I have no such info, but given the fact that *I* (not some hotshot official) had access to one, it can't be far.

xdapao3
Old
(Last edited by xdapao3; 4th June 2012 at 07:58 AM.)
Thanks Meter 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooster View Post
Even 1920x1080 are too low for a 10.1. To compete with ipad visual quality they can barely put this resolution into a 8.9, but for a 10.1... no way it's too low.
Omg, Samsung is fond of low ppi especially if fullRGB, yes it's cheaper to build but OMG!
BS.
1920x1080 is normal-sized monitor HD resolution, to say it's too low for a 10.1" screen is beyond ridiculous.

iPhone's "Retina" resolution is completely worthless on a useless 3.5", iPad's "Retina" display is overkill. The higher the resolution the better... up to a point.
Beyond that you are just paying a weight and power consumption (and also brightness in the case of the Ipad) penalty without getting your worth (the higher the resolutions the less your eye is able to see the difference).
Full HD resolution on a 10.1" would be ideal.

P.S. "Samsung is fond of low ppi"??
The Galaxy Tab 10.1's PPI is over 10% higher than the iPad2's.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xdapao3 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

leon2008
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Great. Thanks for the videos. I really look forward to a launch. Hopefully very soon. I aim for this to be my note-taken tool at work. I hope it will live up to that and be usefull. (Not hand click when using the pen etc.).

zooster
Old
(Last edited by zooster; 4th June 2012 at 09:30 AM.)
Thanks Meter 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdapao3 View Post
BS.
1920x1080 is normal-sized monitor HD resolution, to say it's too low for a 10.1" screen is beyond ridiculous.

iPhone's "Retina" resolution is completely worthless on a useless 3.5", iPad's "Retina" display is overkill. The higher the resolution the better... up to a point.
Beyond that you are just paying a weight and power consumption (and also brightness in the case of the Ipad) penalty without getting your worth (the higher the resolutions the less your eye is able to see the difference).
Full HD resolution on a 10.1" would be ideal.

P.S. "Samsung is fond of low ppi"??
The Galaxy Tab 10.1's PPI is over 10% higher than the iPad2's.
Normal sized monitor is not meant to be used as close as a tablet.
The closer a device is used the higher the ppi should be. For a smartphone pixels start beeing unnoticeable from 320-330ppi. Actually the best job is made by lg with 1280x720 on a 4.3" and 342ppi, higher than apple.
The tablet is meant to be used less close than a phone, so the ppi can be lower, around 250... the value adopted by apple in ipad3.
So for an optimal view the ppi has to be higher. 1280x800 on a 10.1 does mean a too low ppi (maybe not for a monitor, but surely for a tablet).
And yes, I confirm that samsung is fond of low ppi devices. You tell me the higest ppi of a fullRGB display of a Samsung device. FullRGB only, because the pentile matrix trash doesn't worth any talk, you know that at ppi being equal the visual quality of a pentile is much lower due to less subpixels, so i.e. the actual ppi of a 300ppi samoled hd is around 250, but this is something already well known.

The Following User Says Thank You to zooster For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
note 10.1, samsung, tablet