5,606,722 Members 37,700 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Official] Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III Info/Pre-Order/Chat Thread

Tip us?

GoodRevrnd
Old
Thanks Meter 0
http://www.droid-life.com/2012/06/04...e-galaxy-siii/

I'm looking at jumping over to Verizon for this phone as a new customer (Sprint infrastructure rollout is a joke, ATT drops too often, and TMobile seems to have all their fancy high tech towers connected to dial-up modems out here in Vegas). This current double data bonus that VZW is offering makes it a lot easier to swallow the bitter pill of their pricing.

Sooooo... as someone mentioned in the article comments I linked, would I be able to just buy whatever phone tomorrow, initiating a contract under the double data rate, and return it on the 21st and grab the SGS3 and keep my extra data? All these carriers have no risk 14 day trial periods and such right?

doeboy711
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 176

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodRevrnd View Post
http://www.droid-life.com/2012/06/04...e-galaxy-siii/

I'm looking at jumping over to Verizon for this phone as a new customer (Sprint infrastructure rollout is a joke, ATT drops too often, and TMobile seems to have all their fancy high tech towers connected to dial-up modems out here in Vegas). This current double data bonus that VZW is offering makes it a lot easier to swallow the bitter pill of their pricing.

Sooooo... as someone mentioned in the article comments I linked, would I be able to just buy whatever phone tomorrow, initiating a contract under the double data rate, and return it on the 21st and grab the SGS3 and keep my extra data? All these carriers have no risk 14 day trial periods and such right?
Well yesterday I went to Costco and bought 2 HTC Rezounds to start my contract with VZW. I had to get off of Sprint because in my area it blows. While I was in Hawaii, it was great, but where I live now sucks. So I went ahead and started my contract with VZW so that I can get the double your data before it ended. I have a 90 window with them, not 14 to exchange my phone. I have 14 days to return and cancel my contract, just like VZW does though. If I return it after that, then I am subjected to the ETF though. Costco has a mail-in-rebate for activation, which makes it free!, and they also give you an accessory pack for each phone for free. When I want to go get the SGS3, I will just exchange the phone and accessories, for the new SGS3 phone and accessory pack. I can't wait to get my new phone!
If I have helped you along the way, please hit the "Thanks" button

Device: HTC One M8
Rom: ViperOneM8
Kernel: LK 4.0
Recovery: TWRP 2.7.0.2

Device: Asus Transformer TF700T Tablet
Rom : CROMi-Xenogenesis 5.1
Kernel:
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.0

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to doeboy711 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

densetsu86
Old
Thanks Meter 18
So i decided that point this (sgsiii) will be my next phone. But im not due in for an upgrade till feb 13 2013. Has anybody heard about keeping unlimited without upgrading? Im buying it in august thats when i will have money to pay full price and most likely there retarded crap will be in place but since im not changing my plan just my phone i should be good, right?

Sent from my DROID X2 using XDA

LLStarks
Old
Thanks Meter 155
Not sure about Double Data, but Unlimited Data can be preserved through a pre-order.

On an unrelated note, I just realized that the 3G fallback for the Verizon S3 will be EVDO Rev A which is slow as balls. I wish there was an HSPA+ radio in this thing. It's got an EDGE radio, so why not?

Ironically, while Verizon has LTE in my area, AT&T does not. Which makes no sense since Long Island is privileged and gets everything quickly.

GoodRevrnd
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by doeboy711 View Post
Well yesterday I went to Costco and bought 2 HTC Rezounds to start my contract with VZW. I had to get off of Sprint because in my area it blows. While I was in Hawaii, it was great, but where I live now sucks. So I went ahead and started my contract with VZW so that I can get the double your data before it ended. I have a 90 window with them, not 14 to exchange my phone. I have 14 days to return and cancel my contract, just like VZW does though. If I return it after that, then I am subjected to the ETF though. Costco has a mail-in-rebate for activation, which makes it free!, and they also give you an accessory pack for each phone for free. When I want to go get the SGS3, I will just exchange the phone and accessories, for the new SGS3 phone and accessory pack. I can't wait to get my new phone!
Hmmmmm... so no restocking fee @ Costco for returning because "I want a different phone?" Is Costco getting the S3 on launch day? Does Costco have iPhones? Getting a family plan and the lady apparently wants to cave and just get an iPhone.

doeboy711
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 176

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodRevrnd View Post
Hmmmmm... so no restocking fee @ Costco for returning because "I want a different phone?" Is Costco getting the S3 on launch day? Does Costco have iPhones? Getting a family plan and the lady apparently wants to cave and just get an iPhone.
Costco has NO restocking fee's on any of their items, and they are suppose to get it on launch day or very close to it. I will be calling my Costco Wireless guy a week out asking questions about it. Also, no they do not sell iPhones there. Best Buy has the same deal, but it's a 30 day return, but I think you have a restocking fee there. I hope this helps you out.

Kernel:

The Following User Says Thank You to doeboy711 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

GoodRevrnd
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks man. I think BB usually has restocking fees to the tune of 15%, so as long as that applies to the subsidized price it wouldn't be too bad if I pick the right temporary phone. I try to avoid that place like the plague though.

trevtastick
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I'll be upgrading from my INC2 to the S3. I was on the phone earlier with a rep last night who I asked whether I would be able to grandfather in my Unlimited Data plan. Of course he was unsure, BUT he did state that if they did do it before my upgrade took place, I have to 14days from receipt of the phone to nullify the contract changes and go back to what I already had; unlimited data.

Just something to think about. At least you wouldn't be up the creek you know... give you time to save up and buy it outright I suppose.

th3b3
Old
(Last edited by th3b3; 5th June 2012 at 04:19 PM.)
Thanks Meter 6
I'm confused so what happens if you dont resign a 2 year contract and just buy a phone off contract? Your just getting a phone activated and you would have to be grandfathered in correct? I think they "get you" by signing a "new" contract. If you just purchase a phone and activate it they cannot modify your contract. I think im gonna get a razr off craigslist and activate it so I can still have unlimited lte and then purchase a s3. Im rockin a good ole fassy now so I really want to get the s3 but I dont want to get screwed on another 2 year contract.

doeboy711
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 176

DONATE TO ME
Here is an great article explaining the benefits of why having the S4 and 2gb of ram is better in some ways than a quad-core and 1gb of ram.

http://www.tmonews.com/2012/05/edito...ii-is-awesome/

Kernel:

The Following User Says Thank You to doeboy711 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]