Root and Google Wallet (also NFC)

OP Nhan Lam

7th June 2012, 07:46 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Texas
Thanks Meter: 17

120 posts
More
I hear that Google Wallet does not work if the phone is rooted. I got unsupported device message. Here's my question :
- Can you use wallet app with rooted phone ? (actual work , I haven't tried yet ; I denied root access but the message still there)
- Do other NFC apps request root to run ?
7th June 2012, 02:59 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Developer
Flag Plainfield
Thanks Meter: 530

1,980 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhan Lam

I hear that Google Wallet does not work if the phone is rooted. I got unsupported device message. Here's my question :
- Can you use wallet app with rooted phone ? (actual work , I haven't tried yet ; I denied root access but the message still there)
- Do other NFC apps request root to run ?

It works fine with a rooted device, it just warns that it's not supported (and links to the article describing the security risks briefly).

In general root access isn't needed for anything NFC related - this was a recent addition to Google Wallet.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krohnjw For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th June 2012, 06:05 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Texas
Thanks Meter: 17

120 posts
More
So you still can pay with GWallet on root phone :great: I also interested with NFC modding. I see there are many NFC card with vary capability (from 50b to 1Kb) , which one should I buy ? (I'll use for turn Wifi/Bluetooth on/off or Change brightness e.t.c)
10th June 2012, 05:32 PM   |  #4  
Flag Austin
Thanks Meter: 44

383 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhan Lam

So you still can pay with GWallet on root phone :great: I also interested with NFC modding. I see there are many NFC card with vary capability (from 50b to 1Kb) , which one should I buy ? (I'll use for turn Wifi/Bluetooth on/off or Change brightness e.t.c)

There's a thread for that...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1697563
16th June 2012, 11:35 PM   |  #5  
Flag Lacey
Thanks Meter: 1

15 posts
More
Question Confused
Quote:
Originally Posted by krohnjw

It works fine with a rooted device, it just warns that it's not supported (and links to the article describing the security risks briefly).

In general root access isn't needed for anything NFC related - this was a recent addition to Google Wallet.

I have an EVO 4G LTE and prior to rooting I definitely cleared my Google Wallet. But just now since rooting and installing Charmeleon, when I load Google Wallet I get this message:

Not Supported
--------------
Unfortunately, Google Wallet has not yet been certified in your country or on your device / carrier.

Obviously, this is not true, because it worked just fine prior to rooting.
Clicking OK merely closes it out, so how can it still work if I can't go any further?
17th June 2012, 02:14 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 79

390 posts
More
It can still run up until that verification takes place, I've seen it many times on my sgs2 when we first got nfc enabled awhile back. Anyway to address your problem it could be a couple of things, first thing that comes to mind is your apn settings. My reasoning is you said it worked completely before and you flashed chameleon so the error your getting could definitely be that. Check your apn settings, make sure your connecting to the same servers as before. If that isn't the issue let me know as I don't have your lg so I couldn't tell you if it has something to do with the secure element at this time.
17th June 2012, 02:24 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 79

390 posts
More
Actually I just did some quick research for you. It seems even people on stock rom are having issues with nfc and not just Google wallet but a lot of reports of not being able to detect nfc cards or other credit cards,pay pass etc. Does your nfc work in any of those capacities? If not I would start there because if that doesn't work Gwallet surely won't. Lastly I just read a few issues in the sprint version of the phones forum on xda people believe there's an issue with the placement. Check it out

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to Nizda1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th June 2012, 06:02 AM   |  #8  
Flag Lacey
Thanks Meter: 1

15 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizda1

Actually I just did some quick research for you. It seems even people on stock rom are having issues with nfc and not just Google wallet but a lot of reports of not being able to detect nfc cards or other credit cards,pay pass etc. Does your nfc work in any of those capacities? If not I would start there because if that doesn't work Gwallet surely won't. Lastly I just read a few issues in the sprint version of the phones forum on xda people believe there's an issue with the placement. Check it out

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium

Thank you for looking into this, and for discovering others are having issues. I'm not sure how to go about checking my APN settings, but I am looking it up.. so as soon as I figure that out I will post back and let you know what I find lol[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

I believe my APN was and is LTE/CDMA unless I'm miss understanding, this doesn't appear to have changed. As far as the other trial&error's you've suggested, I am going to have to try those later because I am at work for the night, and don't have access to anything here. Thank you for looking into this!
Last edited by USAMac; 17th June 2012 at 06:06 AM.
17th June 2012, 09:05 PM   |  #9  
Flag Kazan
Thanks Meter: 2

10 posts
More
I can't Help You *_*
5th August 2012, 09:01 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 55

173 posts
Donate to Me
More
Info 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAMac

I have an EVO 4G LTE and prior to rooting I definitely cleared my Google Wallet. But just now since rooting and installing Charmeleon, when I load Google Wallet I get this message:

Not Supported
--------------
Unfortunately, Google Wallet has not yet been certified in your country or on your device / carrier.

Obviously, this is not true, because it worked just fine prior to rooting.
Clicking OK merely closes it out, so how can it still work if I can't go any further?

You can check out my guide here for your answer http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1810282

The Following User Says Thank You to HeroKhar For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread