[How-To] Remove HTClinkifydispatcher.apk to open YouTube links to the YouTube app etc

Search This thread

zounduser

Mar 2, 2012
sioux falls SD
1. First use root explorer or another root browser app to find and delete HTClinkifydispatcher.apk. This can be found in /system/app

2. Download and install THIS app from the Play Store

3. Find the line that says "ro.da1.enable". Click on it and change from "true" to "false"

4. Reboot to recovery and clear your cache and wipe dalvik

5. Reboot system and enjoy!

Now you can open a YouTube or Play Store URL in the actual application not the web app version. The build.prop edit restores the ability to open links in SMS messages. If I missed anything, don't hesitate to let me know!

Credit goes to iconeo and steal25
Original thread can be found here (the line it says to add to the build.prop underneath the one we edit is unnecessary for our device)

sweet

marblesmike

Feb 26, 2011
links in Facebook work without crapping out - but youtube links still ask what I want to open it in and the youtube app isn't an option.

oh well no big deal :)

Works for me, however, only if I click on a Youtube link in mobile mode it stays in the browser. if I switch to desktop mode it will give me an option of how to open it. I'm on Scott's CleanRom Pro 4.5.

ssoares01

Dec 20, 2007
I'm so glad to see things like this that are basically a big middle-finger to apple by the community...

tesla45

Apr 11, 2009
Parsing links/# as well?

First off thanks for all your efforts. This is much appreciated by someone who is one the fence about buying the Evo 4G LTE (poor linking implementation by HTC was making me hesitant).

It seems that this method solves the issue of making sure the standard ICS prompt is displayed when clicking on a link.

Does this method also mean that items like phone numbers are parsed and linked properly in emails/web browser?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

AshtonTS

May 11, 2011
Woodstock, CT
First off thanks for all your efforts. This is much appreciated by someone who is one the fence about buying the Evo 4G LTE (poor linking implementation by HTC was making me hesitant).

It seems that this method solves the issue of making sure the standard ICS prompt is displayed when clicking on a link.

Does this method also mean that items like phone numbers are parsed and linked properly in emails/web browser?

Thanks in advance!

No, I'm pretty sure android doesn't do that lol

Reactions: antp121

AshtonTS

May 11, 2011
Woodstock, CT
Hrm, my HTC Hero from 2009 is doing that. Granted, its running a custom Froyo ROM, but I doubt the custom ROM added phone number parsing.

If I remember correctly this was also part of the patent dispute with Apple right?

Yeah its about the patent dispute, buy I've never seen an android that parses numbers like that.... Idk I guess I don't use that feature so idk....

EmerikL

Jul 19, 2011
Phoenix
I use that all the time on my crappy work phone. I use peoples signatures with their phone numbers to call them.

antp121

Jan 15, 2011
New Jersey
i followed your guide. what does this actually do? lol i mean it doesnt seem to have change anything... unless im going crazy (which is a possibility)

Last edited:

AshtonTS

May 11, 2011
Woodstock, CT
i followed your guide. what does this actually do? lol i mean it doesnt seem to have change anything... unless im going crazy (which is a possibility)

Open this link from the browser on your phone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHFMoe9VXMI it should give.the option to open it in the YouTube app rather than the mobile site. HTC was sued by apply because it does that by default in iOS so they had to include htclinkifydispatcher to get around that. Removing that apk restores the ability to open YouTube, maps, play store, etc links in their respective apps rather than the mobile website. Just removing the apk breaks the ability to open any links from SMS messages. Editing the build.prop lets you open links in SMS messages again.

Last edited:

antp121

Jan 15, 2011
New Jersey
Open this link from the browser on your phone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHFMoe9VXMI it should give.the option to open it in the YouTube app rather than the mobile site. HTC was sued by apply because it does that by default in iOS so they had to include htclinkifydispatcher to get around that. Removing that apk restores the ability to open YouTube, maps, play store, etc links in their respective apps rather than the mobile website.

ahhh thats what it does! i wondered why it always did that on my phone but not my tablet! thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This should work for all HTC phones with HTClinkifyDispatcher.apk (so basically all HTC phones on 4.0 or 4.1 and a few on 2.3 with most sense-based ROMs) if opening a YouTube link in the browser doesn't give you the option to open it in the native YouTube app, you have HTCLinkifyDispatcher on your phone. This also applies to Play Store links, Maps addresses, and possibly Contact data and phone numbers.

You're going to have to be rooted to do this.
    Some custom ROM's already have this removed.

1. First use root explorer or another root browser app to find and delete HTClinkifydispatcher.apk. This can be found in /system/app

2. Download and install a build.prop editor (such as THIS app) from the Play Store. Alternatively, you can just use a root-enabled file browser to edit it in /system

3. Find the line that says "ro.da1.enable". Click on it and change from "true" to "false". In some recent updates, there may be more than one instance of this line. Change every instance of this code to make sure it works fully.

4. Reboot to recovery and clear your cache and wipe dalvik

5. Reboot system and enjoy!

Note: Contrary to popular belief, you do need to delete the .apk from /system/app, or else you may incur problems

This guide is based on the findings of iconeo and steal25, so credits to them
    Original thread can be found here (the line it says to add to the build.prop underneath the one we edit shouldn't be necessary for our device)

If you encounter any problems, let me know. If it works for you, please hit thanks for me. :)

Sweet! This got on the front page of XDA!! Thanks guys!
    This one deserves a sticky ;)

YZ.
    Ok, this sounds really awesome because I hate the app associations, but isn't the Htclinkifydispatcher also responsible for linking contacts together? I don't want to lose that function.

You can still link contacts :)
    In the yelp review if I click on the address or the number It gives me the option to open it directly in the app after doing the patch. If what ur asking is whether this works on the rezound or not the answer is yes... Or else I wouldn't have posted it....
    I was running Scott's Clean ROM 4.4 and after I wiped the cache and Dalvik cache and rebooted it told me "Android is upgrading...." and then it went through and said "Optimizing XXX of 247 apps"

Is this normal?

Yes..whenever you wipe dalvik cache it will do that on first boot up.

Sent from my Rezound