[tutorial] How to upgrade One V with an OTA update / RUU to revert to stock

Search This thread

ckpv5

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Feb 11, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
As there are many questions on how to do OTA update & to revert to stock after a device is rooted and bootloader unlocked; I made this simple guide which I hope will help the newbies especially.

NOTE : always do a backup and a nandroid backup before trying any of these.

OTA update:

A) ROM is stock, bootloader unlocked, stock recovery and not rooted.
- just run the OTA update, there is no need to relock the bootloader

B) ROM is stock, bootloader unlocked, CWM recovery and not rooted.
- flash the stock recovery that comes with your RUU, extract the RUU for the stock recovery.
* boot to bootloader
* fastboot flash recovery recovery_signed.img
* fastboot reboot-bootloader
* fastboot erase cache
* fastboot reboot
- run the OTA update

C) ROM is stock, bootloader unlocked, stock recovery and rooted
- download OTA Rootkeeper from Play Store
- run the OTA Rootkeeper and click protect root
- run the OTA update, there is no need to relock bootloader
- Once done, run OTA Rootkeeper and click restore root

D) ROM is stock, bootloader unlocked, CWM recovery and rooted
- no need to relock bootloader
- boot to bootloader and fastboot flash the stock recovery
- run the OTA update

E) ROM is custom, bootloader unlocked, CWM recovery and rooted and you have a stock nandroid backup
- flash the stock boot.img if after nandroid restore, you have a bootloop
- flash the stock recovery.img
- relock the bootloader - fastboot oem lock
- boot your device and run the OTA update

F) ROM is custom, bootloader unlocked, CWM recovery and rooted and you don't have a stock nandroid backup

- if you dont have the stock nandroid backup, you need to run RUU
- before you can run the RUU you need to:
* flash the stock recovery.img
* flash the stock boot.img (maybe no need)
* relock the bootloader - fastboot oem lock
* run RUU
- run device setup
- run the OTA update

Flashing RUU to revert to stock or to update your One V after you have a custom ROM installed.

- you must have the correct RUU for your device.
- if you are not sure, download CID Getter from Play Store and run it, it will show your CID.
- with your CID, you may be able to find a correct RUU for your device

then

1- in fastboot mode - relock the bootloader : run command fastboot oem lock

2- in fastboot mode - flash/run/double click the RUU; follow the updater instruction - next,update,bla,bla,bla until it finish

Note :

Error 155 - usually wrong recovery.img /wrong boot.img or bootloader not relocked
Error 140 - wrong bootloader / bootloader unlocked
Error 131 - wrong RUU for your device

Credit to all XDA members that posted all the guides in various forum thread and some from own experience which I compiled here for easy reference.

Last edited:

1ceb0x

Jun 25, 2010
The Earth
If I have a nandroid backup from my stock (nandroid after it was rooted), how can I get rid of root? I need to lock bootloader also because I need to return my product. Also, I have the kernel img and recovery img (need to flash those also because I have flashed custom kernel and cwm).

So my guess is that:
nandroid restore
go to fastboot and flash boot.img
go to fastboot and flash recovery img
go to fastboot and relock bootloader.
but how do you get rid of root?

paarthdesai

Jun 2, 2012
mumbai
Samsung Galaxy S21+
If I have a nandroid backup from my stock (nandroid after it was rooted), how can I get rid of root? I need to lock bootloader also because I need to return my product. Also, I have the kernel img and recovery img (need to flash those also because I have flashed custom kernel and cwm).

So my guess is that:
nandroid restore

i think u have an option in super su
to completely get rid of root
dnt knw if tht wrks
try it

dont just say thanks hit thanks if i helped :)
sent from my awesome HTC One V using xda premium

jparasite

Nov 19, 2010

So my guess is that:
nandroid restore

Are you able to get the RUU for your phone/region?

1ceb0x

Jun 25, 2010
The Earth
Reflash system.img is the no-fail way.

System.img is the rom itself right? If yes, by reflashing it, the root will still be there because the nandroid was AFTER it was rooted. And I didn't found my RUU. I have found one which is the same as mine but the last number .x differs from mine (I have .4 and the RUU has .3)...

jparasite

Nov 19, 2010
Would you be okay with just removing the superuser.apk or did you also want the binary gone?

One of the possible options is to modify your nandroid backup so that both files are deleted (and not restored), but I'm not sure if CWM complains if the backup has been modified.

ckpv5

Feb 11, 2008
Kuala Lumpur

So my guess is that:
nandroid restore

Restore your nandroid backup
Reboot your device.
Open the SuperSU, and click Full unroot (it will remove the app, apk & su library)
Reboot to recovery
Make a new nandroid backup (this time there is no root for safekeeping)
Reboot to bootloader
fastboot flash boot stockboot.img
fastboot erase cache
fastboot flash recovery stockrecovery.img
fastboot erase cache
fastboot oem lock
now you are back to stock rom without root and relocked

Last edited:

1ceb0x

Jun 25, 2010
The Earth
Thank you so much, will try it tonight because tomorrow I need to get my unit to replacement. I didn't knew how the process worked since I never did it (I work with android for 3 years now).

But I have a question. If you open su and you click full unroot, why do you need to make a new nandroid and flash that?

ckpv5

Feb 11, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
Thank you so much, will try it tonight because tomorrow I need to get my unit to replacement. I didn't knew how the process worked since I never did it (I work with android for 3 years now).

But I have a question. If you open su and you click full unroot, why do you need to make a new nandroid and flash that?

Because your old nandroid has SuperSU.apk and SU library in it.
New backup will not have those because you already remove them before new nandroid is made.
So you'll have a new stock nandroid without root.

Last edited:

1ceb0x

Jun 25, 2010
The Earth
Because your old nandroid has SuperSU.apk and SU library in it.
New backup will not have those because you already remove them before new nandroid is made.
So you'll have a stock nandroid without root.

But if I restore the nandroid that has root and then unroot it, I don't see why you need to make a new one and restore that.

ckpv5

Feb 11, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
But if I restore the nandroid that has root and then unroot it, I don't see why you need to make a new one and restore that.

I see your point... I thought that you do want to keep a stock nandroid without root for safekeeping as there is no RUU for .4 yet ;)
The post now updated.

Last edited:

1ceb0x

Jun 25, 2010
The Earth
I see your point... I thought that you do want to keep a stock nandroid without root for safekeeping as there is no RUU for .4 yet ;)

Well, the point is that I will replace this unit with another one since this one is not working with Orange carriers. My shop was in talks with HTC service to get an unlock code but they failed to do so, so they said it is ok to change the unit. No need to keep a nandroid backup since I don't know what software version I will have on the new phone. Thank you for your help!

ckpv5

Feb 11, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
I fall under category D (ROM is stock, bootloader unlocked, CWM recovery and rooted)

Can someone tell me in detail how to

Do I boot into CWM?

Thanks for your help.

No, not boot into CWM.
Remember how you go to bootloader when you first want to unlock your bootloader ? You press power + volume down, that is boot to bootloader.

Reactions: RaskloP

ryanlow134

so that your new nandroid backup doesn't have SuperSU and you can still keep your datas :)

jparasite

Nov 19, 2010
I fall under category D (ROM is stock, bootloader unlocked, CWM recovery and rooted)

Do I boot into CWM?

Thanks for your help.

Please make sure you're flashing to recovery, not boot.

Connect your phone to your computer via USB. I'll assume you have the necessary bootloader/adb drivers installed.

Open up a command prompt to wherever your recovery.img is and type (this assumes you can easily access adb/fastboot from anywhere):

adb reboot bootloader

Phone should reboot into fastboot. From there type:

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

It should then flash the stock recovery.

I would recommend taking a look at the HTC All-in-One ToolKit in the Development forums. It might simplify it for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: RaskloP

1ceb0x

Jun 25, 2010
The Earth
To get back to you guys, I have followed these instructions and I am back to stock. The only thing that should worry me now is that the bootloader says "RELOCKED" instead of "LOCKED" but I don't think this is a reason why I should loose my warranty since we've done it using HTCDEV method.

It was easy enough because I had my nandroid backup. Such a joy to have one of these at hand!

Thank you all for the infos. Tomorrow I'll get my replacement :yuhuu:

Lloir

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 23, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Note 8 (2017 Phone)
To get back to you guys, I have followed these instructions and I am back to stock. The only thing that should worry me now is that the bootloader says "RELOCKED" instead of "LOCKED" but I don't think this is a reason why I should loose my warranty since we've done it using HTCDEV method.

It was easy enough because I had my nandroid backup. Such a joy to have one of these at hand!

Thank you all for the infos. Tomorrow I'll get my replacement :yuhuu:

yea it should be ok buddy, my new handset arrives tomorrow, wish i could had gone to a store to pick it up so i could check it before i left the store :/ i do hate 3 customer services :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As there are many questions on how to do OTA update & to revert to stock after a device is rooted and bootloader unlocked; I made this simple guide which I hope will help the newbies especially.

NOTE : always do a backup and a nandroid backup before trying any of these.

OTA update:

A) ROM is stock, bootloader unlocked, stock recovery and not rooted.
    - just run the OTA update, there is no need to relock the bootloader

B) ROM is stock, bootloader unlocked, CWM recovery and not rooted.
    - flash the stock recovery that comes with your RUU, extract the RUU for the stock recovery.
    * boot to bootloader
    * fastboot flash recovery recovery_signed.img
    * fastboot reboot-bootloader
    * fastboot erase cache
    * fastboot reboot
    - run the OTA update

C) ROM is stock, bootloader unlocked, stock recovery and rooted
    - run the OTA update, there is no need to relock bootloader

D) ROM is stock, bootloader unlocked, CWM recovery and rooted
    - no need to relock bootloader
    - boot to bootloader and fastboot flash the stock recovery
    - run the OTA update

E) ROM is custom, bootloader unlocked, CWM recovery and rooted and you have a stock nandroid backup
    - flash the stock boot.img if after nandroid restore, you have a bootloop
    - flash the stock recovery.img
    - relock the bootloader - fastboot oem lock
    - boot your device and run the OTA update

F) ROM is custom, bootloader unlocked, CWM recovery and rooted and you don't have a stock nandroid backup

- if you dont have the stock nandroid backup, you need to run RUU
    - before you can run the RUU you need to:
    * flash the stock recovery.img
    * flash the stock boot.img (maybe no need)
    * relock the bootloader - fastboot oem lock
    * run RUU
    - run device setup
    - run the OTA update

Flashing RUU to revert to stock or to update your One V after you have a custom ROM installed.

- you must have the correct RUU for your device.
    - if you are not sure, download CID Getter from Play Store and run it, it will show your CID.
    - with your CID, you may be able to find a correct RUU for your device

then

1- in fastboot mode - relock the bootloader : run command fastboot oem lock

2- in fastboot mode - flash/run/double click the RUU; follow the updater instruction - next,update,bla,bla,bla until it finish

Note :

Error 155 - usually wrong recovery.img /wrong boot.img or bootloader not relocked
    Error 140 - wrong bootloader / bootloader unlocked
    Error 131 - wrong RUU for your device

Credit to all XDA members that posted all the guides in various forum thread and some from own experience which I compiled here for easy reference.

So my guess is that:
    nandroid restore

Restore your nandroid backup
    Reboot your device.
    Open the SuperSU, and click Full unroot (it will remove the app, apk & su library)
    Reboot to recovery
    Make a new nandroid backup (this time there is no root for safekeeping)
    Reboot to bootloader
    fastboot flash boot stockboot.img
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot flash recovery stockrecovery.img
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot oem lock
    now you are back to stock rom without root and relocked
    Revert to stock, option F

Hi, i'm using ur myonev rc v2 rom, if i wish to revert back to orignal rom, i just follow the F step right? Seems like so complicated:(

If you haven't got nandroid from stock yes, but it isn't that complicated as it seems.
    Firstly and mainly you need the RUU for your phone (search button for it), run it, but don't do a thing.
    Search for the files mentioned (place is mentioned in my post from before (2 posts maybe))
    You will need the following files:
    - recovery_signed.img (or recovery.img)
    - boot.img (or boot_signed.img)
    If you have them, you have everything that is needed, given the fact, that you've unlocked your phone yourself (not to mention the all-in-one tool of course, you will need to command line a tad for revert to stock).
    If you don't know what is bootloader, fastboot and thing (so you've unlocked your phone useing the all-in-one tool) you need the following as extra and in one directory (these files are available from the all-in-one tool's directory):
    -adb.exe
    -fastboot.exe
    -AdbWinApi.dll
    -AdbWinUsbApi.dll (not sure of that, but better not to play :) )

If you have all of them in one directory, you are in the finish line.
    Assume that you've put all this thing to "c:\htc\"

-So start->run cmd (in win7 run as administrator)
    -when in command line go to the directory where you have put the things needed (assumed c:\htc)
    -boot your phone into fastboot (click reboot and hold down the volume down button as long as it reboots to recovery, than after you can do a thing select the fastboot mode (power up/down) and push power button. (you have the drivers installed prevoriusly)
    - when fastboot mode is active plug in your device, you will see the phone say you fastboot USB in red highlight.

Now comes the interresting part.

- type in command line window:

fastboot flash recovery recovery_signed.img
    (stock recovery install, will be over in 30s or less, if you have recovery.img do acordingly)

fastboot reboot-bootloader
    fastboot erase cache

fastboot flash boot boot.img
    (this will be a tad longer, because this is the phone's kernel, if boot_signed.img, do accordingly)

fastboot erase cache

fastboot oem relock

(this will RELOCK your bootloader (bootloader will be RELOCKED not LOCKED)

fastboot erase cache

when over and without errors, you're happy. Go to the hboot menu, and run the RUU as it says to you.

All is good.

Do I boot into CWM?

Thanks for your help.

No, not boot into CWM.
    Remember how you go to bootloader when you first want to unlock your bootloader ? You press power + volume down, that is boot to bootloader.

Do I boot into CWM?

Thanks for your help.

Please make sure you're flashing to recovery, not boot.

Connect your phone to your computer via USB. I'll assume you have the necessary bootloader/adb drivers installed.

Open up a command prompt to wherever your recovery.img is and type (this assumes you can easily access adb/fastboot from anywhere):

adb reboot bootloader

Phone should reboot into fastboot. From there type:

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

It should then flash the stock recovery.

I would recommend taking a look at the HTC All-in-One ToolKit in the Development forums. It might simplify it for you.