After experienced many times upgrading rom from stock firmware to ICS custom, I have a trick for myself and want to share it to you all! That is how to boot into an ICS rom without appearance of kernel splash screen
** Note: This trick is useful with AT&T bootloader only, i've tested with i9k bootloader but unsuccessful.
1. Eclair stock firmware: (needed if you're on any custom rom, if you're using stock then don't need to load this one) http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=731989
2. Speedmod kernel (to get CWM): this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=893880 ---> download speedmod-kernel-i897-k13c-500hz.tar in attachments box at the bottom of post #1.
3. Elite 10.1 for Captivate (must have): http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1567102
4. Your favorite rom, or if Elite is good enough to you, then you don't need to download anymore! Don't forget to put these rom into your Cappy sdcard!
Here's the sequence of work:
Again, if you're on stock rom without CWM, then ignore step 1 and jump to step 2!
1. Download mode --> Odin --> back to stock Eclair with AT&T boot loader
2. Download mode --> Odin --> flash Speedmod kernel to get Clockwork Mod Recovery, by putting the file speedmod-kernel-i897-k13c-500hz.tar you've loaded above into PDA box in Odin, then Start and wait till completed
3. Recovery mode --> Install .zip file of Elite 10.1 ROM, wait till finished and you can boot into Elite successfully. You can ignore this booting process if you don't want to use this ROM, by taking battery pack out!
4. Recovery mode --> Flash your favourite rom and kernel in your usual way (wipe cache, dalvik or full wipe)
5. Reboot and you will see, Cappy shows only the AT&T splash screen and never lets any kernel have a chance to show its own logo!
I've tested with these ROM: CM9 nightly, SlimICS, ICSSGS with exact steps above and the results are the same: great! I've not tried with AOKP yet, but I think it should work!
If anyone try this with AOKP and everything's ok, plz comment so that I'll update into this post!
Hope it helps many Cappy's owners!