"Mobile Network Not Available" No Calls, no SMS, no data

Search This thread

mfragola

Sep 11, 2009
Hello XDA, this is probably my first thread ever.
I am a complete noob on Android but have some knowledge on technically supporting other platforms.

My father owns a N7000 he bought in Dubai, factory unlocked, which is now running the latest Samsung stock official Gingerbread, unrooted.

We live in Argentina, and he has been able to use the phone for about 15 days with a local carrier without any problem.

Last Friday, the phone stopped working and he can not make or receive calls, send/receive SMS or use mobile network data at all. Wifi works perfectly. IMEI displays just fine.

I have already tried removing and reinserting the SIM card, tried with another SIM card from another carrier, tried going in an out of airplane mode, restored the phone to factory defaults and all other recommended solutions to this problem I found on the forums, except for flashing it.

Should I flash it? I am not looking for a custom ROM nor rooting or anything "unofficial". It is my Dad's phone.
Should I flash another modem suitable for my region?
If I am not wrong I should also be flashing a new bootrom if I were to flash an ICS ROM, right?

I do not completely understand if changing modem, PDA or CSC would possibly brick the device if not carefullly chosen. Can I flash any ICS PDA I randomly choose from the official ROMs thread?

My phone version is as follows:

PDA: N7000JPLA1
PHONE: N7000XXLA4
CSC: N7000OJPLA1
Build Info: Tue Jan 17 00:51:31 KST 2012

I would be more than grateful for any help you could give me.-

pakalrtb

Jan 23, 2010
Roatan - Bay Islands
If you have been able to use it with no problem for 15 days, and all of a sudden it's not working , unless you did something in between, I do not see any other reason but a hardware problem.
P_

altae

Mar 22, 2008
St. Gallen
Also sounds like a hardware problem to me. Nonetheless I would try to flash a rom. It's worth a try, if it doesn't help it won't do any harm neither. In the following thread you'll find all stock roms a long with a manual how to flash using pc odin.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=20963707

One remark: If you want to be on the safe side flash a Gingerbread rom. If you want to flash an ICS rom don't flash a wipe rom and don't perform a factory reset after you flashed the rom. ICS roms suffer from a bug and can possibly brick your phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Note running ICS

mfragola

Sep 11, 2009
Thanks, I will try to re-flash Gingerbread to the device then. Should I try flashing a different modem or anything or would the best thing be to flash the same version the device has shipped with?

mfragola

Sep 11, 2009
I have just reflashed the phone and nothing has changed :(

Should I flash another modem maybe?

I will be taking it to a Samsung repair center but unfortunately since I did not buy the phone in my country it is not covered by the warranty :S

Richy99

Nov 16, 2009
have you tried the sim in a different phone to see if it is sim or phone related?

mfragola

Sep 11, 2009
Yes, I have tried another working SIM on the Note and exactly the same symptoms. I will search for LP5 then, thanks

dr.ketan

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
You can flash only modem part too.
Here is ROM, which is you have right now installed
http://www.hotfile.com/dl/144991211/85c9920/N7000JPLA1_N7000OJPLA1_XSG.zip.html

Download and extract it.
Download odin
Install kies (driver) to PC
open odin and select phone tab and point to ROM file which you have extracted.
Dont select re partition/bootloader/pit/PDA/CSC
and flash it

If you want to flash full ROM, here it goes like below image( have to select PDA)

look this image
single.jpg

So if you want to flash modem only
select Phone tab
If you wish to flash full ROM
select PDA tab
rest of procedure remain same.

mfragola

Sep 11, 2009
This is what I am getting:

<ID:0/004> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> N7000JPLA1_N7000OJPLA1_N7000XXLA4_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/004> cache.img
<ID:0/004> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/004> Transmission Complete..
<ID:0/004> Now Writing.. Please wait about 2 minutes
<ID:0/004>
<ID:0/004> Receive Response form LOKE
<ID:0/004> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

LP5 failed too

(EDIT: When I made the full flash earlier today I used this same ROM file with PDA selected on Odin)

Last edited:

dr.ketan

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
seems connection error
Are you sure you have put your device in download mode? (switch off then vol dwn + Home + power. release power once see logo. then press vol up to continue. you will see downloading now...)
make sure kies is completely closed
No antivirus is running
try different USB port, without any extension cable

mfragola

Sep 11, 2009
Thanks for your prompt replies.

The error appears to happen only when selecting PHONE option on Odin, as I have just tried reflashing full PDA and the process has completed successfully.

I will try flashing the official ROM from my carrier in Argentina I found on the official ROMs thread, and if it doesn't work I will be taking it to Samsung.
Please as a last favour would you please let me know if doing that could lead to something bad?

Hardware failure then? I can't even call 911, it says "Out of service area"...

mfragola

Sep 11, 2009
No, unfortunately it has not worked. Flashing my local carrier's ROM has changed the installed modem and still no luck. I will be going to Samsung then.

Thanks for all your help, I will let you know if something changes